PDA

View Full Version : Natural Weapons, Can you enchant them?

ProfessorWoland
2013-07-09, 08:14 AM
I am playing a Goliath Black Blood Cultist grappler, and I don't use weapons other than armor spikes, once I am done enchanting my armor spikes, I have this idea that I want to make my claws and teeth (bite) into magical weapons too. I know they would technically have to be masterwork before I could enchant them, but I was thinking of pulling a sort of wolverine and removing my teeth and claws (not my entire skeleton) and then replacing them with masterwork metal copies that I can enchant.

The best part is, I don't have to worry about looking strange. My Goliath has a hat of disguise, a disguise kit, and a vestment of many styles, and some ranks in disguise for a total bonus of +20.
He uses his massive disguise bonus to constantly look like this:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVz27Nj743p0DCWmoGm5cZLL-dvgURgyJpvFmBnxd2gUoX8roIpg
Everyone always underestimates the silly little gnome, until it mountain rages, then grapples them to death while tearing them apart with his fingernails.

But yeah, can I enchant natural weapons?

Maquise
2013-07-09, 08:15 AM
The Amulet of Mighty Fists lets you add enhancements to your natural weapons.

Humble Master
2013-07-09, 08:17 AM
Amulet of Mighty Fists. Give an enhancement bonus to all your unarmed attacks and natural weapons.

edit: Swordsaged

Coidzor
2013-07-09, 08:20 AM
Necklace of Natural Attacks allows weapon properties to be put on as well, though it gets expensive the more natural weapons you want to add properties to I think if it's just 2 claws and a bite then you're good.

G.Cube
2013-07-09, 08:26 AM
There's also a PrC that let's you do something of that sort somewhere, I can't remember the name or the book it's in, but it's some sort of Gladiator/arena fighter class that seemed like it was more for NPCs, but maybe this will jog someone else's memory and they can name it for you.

Feytalist
2013-07-09, 08:27 AM
Thayan Gladiator. (Edit: It's in Champions of Ruin, a Forgotten Realms supplement.)

Unless you mean Kensai. I do believe they're able to enchant natural weapons as well.

G.Cube
2013-07-09, 02:40 PM
Thayan Gladiator. (Edit: It's in Champions of Ruin, a Forgotten Realms supplement.)

Unless you mean Kensai. I do believe they're able to enchant natural weapons as well.

Thayan Gladiator would be it, thank you good sir!

Zanfire
2013-07-09, 08:29 PM
A Monk dip could do it.

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

Big Fau
2013-07-09, 09:51 PM
A Monk dip could do it.

Only if you can somehow turn the Monk's unarmed strike ability into a masterwork weapon.

Karnith
2013-07-09, 09:56 PM
A Kensai can certainly apply the class's Signature Weapon abilities to a natural weapon (or several natural weapons of the same type). Per the class description:

Signature Weapon (Su): The kensai chooses one of his weapons (it must be one for which he has the Weapon Focus feat) to become a signature weapon. Most kensai choose either a sword or bow for this weapon, but even a kensai's natural weapons can be chosen. If the weapon is a manufactured one, it must be of at least masterwork quality.(Emphasis mine)

Only if you can somehow turn the Monk's unarmed strike ability into a masterwork weapon.
"Those are some mighty fine hands you have there, Bob!"

Siosilvar
2013-07-10, 12:33 AM

With a 300 GP masterwork component included during crafting, anything is possible. :smallamused:

Big Fau
2013-07-10, 12:42 AM
With a 300 GP masterwork component included during crafting, anything is possible. :smallamused:

The rules regarding Craft (Humanoid) are really bad though.

Doorhandle
2013-07-10, 01:19 AM
I am playing a Goliath Black Blood Cultist grappler, and I don't use weapons other than armor spikes, once I am done enchanting my armor spikes, I have this idea that I want to make my claws and teeth (bite) into magical weapons too. I know they would technically have to be masterwork before I could enchant them, but I was thinking of pulling a sort of wolverine and removing my teeth and claws (not my entire skeleton) and then replacing them with masterwork metal copies that I can enchant.

The best part is, I don't have to worry about looking strange. My Goliath has a hat of disguise, a disguise kit, and a vestment of many styles, and some ranks in disguise for a total bonus of +20.
He uses his massive disguise bonus to constantly look like this:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVz27Nj743p0DCWmoGm5cZLL-dvgURgyJpvFmBnxd2gUoX8roIpg
Everyone always underestimates the silly little gnome, until it mountain rages, then grapples them to death while tearing them apart with his fingernails.

But yeah, can I enchant natural weapons?

that's just crazy-awesome.

Drelua
2013-07-10, 08:22 AM
Okay, first find a druid with a caster level as close to 20 as possible to cast greater magic fang. If you can find one with a caster level of at least 16, buy them a bead of karma to boost their CL to 20. Then, find a wizard with a caster level of at least 11 to cast permanency.

This costs 600 (to cast GMF) +550 (permanency) +7500 for the XP cost multiplied by 5 or 8650 to turn a single natural weapon +5, if you can find that CL 20 druid. If you have to get at at a lower CL, the math changes a bit for thew GMF casting and you add can add in 10,000 for the bead of karma.

Once you've done that, buy a necklace of natural attacks if you have 1 or 2 natural attacks, or an amulet of mighty fists if you have at least 3.