PDA

View Full Version : DM's - How do you add texture on the fly?

Govinator
2013-07-09, 11:33 AM
How do you add vibrancy and color to a place or setting when creating it on the spot? Do you have any particular rules or tips to help with this?

I read the article by Rich Burlew concerning adding texture, and I loved it. I found that it greatly added to my world building and overall descriptions. However, this only seems to apply when I have enough time to prepare beforehand. If I am forced to describe a scene without any prep (as I often find myself doing), I don't feel like I am conveying it in a manner consistent with what I am picturing.

Any thoughts?

ArqArturo
2013-07-09, 11:37 AM
It's usually the small things, like the type of food a particular tavern prides in cooking, or the smell of a place, can add a bit flavor in things. Here's an example of how little things can add a big effect on narrative (http://youtu.be/rfquGkw7IC4), even if it's not D&D, it's still an example.

Deathkeeper
2013-07-09, 11:39 AM
It all depends on your campaign. For example, I'm running Carrion Crown, and doing my best to get some mood whiplash between the town segments and the dungeon delving. So I'm allowed to be very light-hearted at times. They're sitting outside the inn talking? I hastily threw in the performers from Castle Crashers. If you need a moment, try something like that. If it distracts them for a few moments, it gives you a minute to plan out your next building or appearance without actually pausing. I often draw out descriptions for the same reason, although not obnoxiously.
Just adding what music the bards are playing and how the people act is often my favorite thing to mention because my players just love fun npc's.

morkendi
2013-07-09, 11:53 AM
Some friends and I are doing a side game when other players are not able to come. It ends up being 2 players and a gm, so we rotate the gm between the 3 of us. What we did is make up a world by getting a big blank grid and starting in a small town. As we move on, we start to build the world around us as each gm wants. The more me played, the better we got at depth and detail as the world began to take shape. It ends up being something you look forward to.

Govinator
2013-07-10, 10:06 AM
Its not something I've found becomes easier, at least not immediately. I am a rather new GM, to be fair, but coming up with texture and fluff for areas I create on the fly is something I just do not do easily.

For example, adding the little things - it makes sense and I love to do it. However, when put on the spot, its just not something that ever occurs to me to add in.
Are there any other tips or thoughts you guys have to maybe help me with this?

Deathkeeper
2013-07-10, 10:20 AM
If your campaign is light-hearted enough to allow it, go with whatever pops into your head. If they go into the local lawman's office and you forgot to write him up, describe him as looking like an Old West hero if it won't shatter the mood. Not obviously of course but if you mention boots and a broad hat they'll get it. If they don't mind it feel free to say that the Transylvania expy has an inn cooking spaghetti because it's all you can think of. If there's an NPC who is completely irrelevant but the party talks to them anyway, don't be afraid to just name a race/job and just start playing with/against stereotypes.

What I'm saying is, for little details, as long as it doesn't break the world, don't over think things. A simple fact or two you pulled off the top of your head can often be all you need.

Sylthia
2013-07-10, 10:47 AM
Just try to imagine the area you're in. If you're in a cavern, you can say that they some the damp odor of wet rock around them, the moist walls glistening from the party members' torches. A single wooden chest seems to have been preserved from the elements, although you can see the metal lock has long rusted shut. Or something like that.

rexreg
2013-07-10, 01:47 PM
Try to use all 5 senses as much as possible when giving a description. I can't stress this enough.
This will make your world more vibrant.