PDA

View Full Version : Race Suggestions?

Os1ris09
2013-07-09, 12:00 PM
SO I am looking for a race that enhances WIS and INT that is either a very low LA (no more than +2) or a template that does this with the same requirements on LA.

If anyone can assist please let me know and include the source it is in.

If no such race/template exists can anyone recommend a good race that works with a druid/sorcerer and what sorcerer spells you'd recommend to memorize?

Thanks again playground for all the help I appreciate it :smallbiggrin:

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-09, 12:02 PM
Phrenic Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) would work, as it also enhances CHA which you use for Sorcerer's casting. Originally from the Expanded Psionics Handbook page 205.

Muggins
2013-07-09, 12:40 PM
Why do you need Intelligence if you're going to be a Druid/Sorcerer? :smallconfused:

Os1ris09
2013-07-09, 12:51 PM
Why do you need Intelligence if you're going to be a Druid/Sorcerer? :smallconfused:

I want to be a wizard/druid. But if no such race exists taht boosts int and wis then i will go the sorcerer/druid route.

Darrin
2013-07-09, 12:54 PM
SO I am looking for a race that enhances WIS and INT that is either a very low LA (no more than +2) or a template that does this with the same requirements on LA.

You could try Vanara: Str -2, Int +2, Wis +2. No LA. Unfortunately, when the Vanara were updated to 3.5, their ability score adjustments were removed. However, if you don't have access to Dragon #318 or your DM doesn't allow Dragon Magazine material, then their 3.0 racial traits are still in place.

If no such race/template exists can anyone recommend a good race that works with a druid/sorcerer and what sorcerer spells you'd recommend to memorize?

I'm confused, then... if you're doing Druid/Sorcerer, what did you need the Int bonus for? Are you looking for a race that has a Wis and Cha bonus? That's considerably tougher to find. However, a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold might work: +3 to all three mental stats.

Os1ris09
2013-07-09, 01:16 PM
You could try Vanara: Str -2, Int +2, Wis +2. No LA. Unfortunately, when the Vanara were updated to 3.5, their ability score adjustments were removed. However, if you don't have access to Dragon #318 or your DM doesn't allow Dragon Magazine material, then their 3.0 racial traits are still in place.

I'm confused, then... if you're doing Druid/Sorcerer, what did you need the Int bonus for? Are you looking for a race that has a Wis and Cha bonus? That's considerably tougher to find. However, a Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold might work: +3 to all three mental stats.

No... :smallfrown:

Primarily i want to be a druid/wizard. Hence the race that adds +INT/WIS.

If I can't find one that the DM will allow THEN I'll play a druid/sorcerer

EDIT: Also where is the 3.0 variant for the race you suggested?

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-09, 01:34 PM
There is a race called Axani that apparently have +2 INT and +2 WIS. The Dragon Magazine version (297 p. 63) is +1 LA, but the rules in Players Guide to Faerun (pp. 190-191) show how to reduce this to a +0 LA by changing type from outsider to humanoid with the planetouched subtype.

The 3.0 Vanara are in Oriental Adventures pp. 15-16. The 3.5 update apparently was done through Dragon Magazine.

Darrin
2013-07-09, 01:39 PM

Somehow I forgot to mention that Vanara are in Oriental Adventures.

If you don't have that book, you can find the 3.0 stats for Vanara in the Mahasarpa Campaign Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20011019a).

Os1ris09
2013-07-09, 03:22 PM
So i do not know if my DM will allow dragon magazine so I'm going to go with an Aasimar druid/sorcerer.

What spells would you recommend to compliment an Arcane Heirophant on the sorcerer side?

Valthonis
2013-07-09, 03:25 PM
So if you like using guides or whatever, I have a few favorites that you might want to check out. Obviously your character is your own creation and the last time I played an AH, I had hardly any of the spells that they recommend.

AH guide: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868490/The_Arcane_Hierophant_Examined

Sorcerer guide: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801

Harlot
2013-07-10, 04:17 PM
The Aaasimar has a +1 lvl adjustment
Raises wis +2 / cha +2,
Gives +2 to spot/listen checks
They have darkvision 60ft.
and resistance +5 to acid, cold & electricity

Planar Handbook p.6 :-)

Os1ris09
2013-07-10, 04:41 PM
Yup, Im going to go with the Druid Sorcerer Arcane Heirophant build with the Aasimar Race.

My question is what spells should I take on the sorcerer side?

Debuffs? BC? Damage? :smallconfused:

Ashes
2013-07-10, 06:17 PM
Why would you want to go with any Level Adjustment, if you are going to play not one, but TWO casting classes?

Seriously, it's not worth it.

Os1ris09
2013-07-10, 06:33 PM
The stat boosts and I can use buyoff from UA. Any recommendations on spell selection though?

Valthonis
2013-07-11, 09:53 AM
Did you ignore my last post...? As a general rule of thumb, sorcerers work best with not just one type of spell, but spells for many situations. That being said, take spells from your sorcerer side that you see using multiple times a day and then on your druid side take spells that you only plan on casting once or twice a day. An example would be to take something like fireball from the sorcerer and then to take gust of wind from the druid. They can both be used to get rid of effects such as obscuring mist; however, there will probably be a time when you don't want to throw a fireball at your party that is inside the mist.

Pilo
2013-07-11, 10:07 AM
Sorry but to avoid you any bad surprise, I have to inform you that sorcerer does not qualify you for Arcane Hierophant.
Sorry, my memory failed, I recalled the prerequisite was you should be able to prepare 2nd level spell from a spellbook. I do not have my books with me, so I could not check it.

On the other hand, you can be a grey elf (Monster manual 1) and phrenic that give you +4 Int +2 Wis +4Cha or grey elf saint (Book of exalted deeds).

Valthonis
2013-07-11, 10:25 AM
Sorry but to avoid you any bad surprise, I have to inform you that sorcerer does not qualify you for Arcane Hierophant.

This statement is false. As a Druid 3/Sorcerer 4 you qualify for the PrC.

Darrin
2013-07-11, 02:45 PM
The stat boosts and I can use buyoff from UA. Any recommendations on spell selection though?

The Lesser Planetouched Aasimar in the Player's Guide to Faerun has Wis +2/Cha +2 and no LA. Not sure if that's in your available sources, though.

For your Sorcerer spells:

0th:

Caltrops (Spell Compendium). BFC one square at a time.

Detect Magic (Core). Show me where my loot is!

Sonic Snap (Spell Compendium). Fell Drain's favorite little buddy.

Launch Item (Spell Compendium). Usually better than launch bolt, since splash weapons use ranged touch attacks and tend to have better damage than crossbow bolts.

Prestidigitation (Core). Tome & Blood p. 80. Study it well.

Read Magic (Core). "Just for the articles, of course."

1st:

Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium). Two willing targets swap positions, keep your meatbags up front and your REMFs in the back.

Color Spray (Core). Encounter-ender at low levels, and Will save vs. stun at mid/high levels.

Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon). Lesser version of mirror image, but swift action to cast.

Kaupaer's Quickblast (Kaupaer's Quickbook (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a)). Free/immediate/swift action (not sure which, 3.0 spell), autohits with either cold, electricity, or fire damage. Great way to quickly light something on fire (webs, incendiary slime, oil, wall of thorns, etc.).

Nerveskitter (Spell Compendium): As a buffer/BFC, going first is going to be pretty important. You might prefer to have this in a wand chamber, if so then consider ray of enfeeblement instead.

Silent Image (Core). Create fake pits/walls, great for messing with mindless creatures.

2nd:

Craft Magic Tattoo (Spell Compendium). 24-hour buffs for the entire party.

Cloud of Bewilderment (Spell Compendium). Stinking cloud, but a spell level earlier.

Glitterdust (Core). One of the quintessential battlefield control spells.

Quick Potion (Spell Compendium). Help your party buff themselves.

Web (Core). I am still annoyed this is not on the druid list. Follow up with produce flame or Kaupaer's quickblast as a nice little "chaser".

Wings of Cover (Races of the Dragon). The ultimate "Nuh-Uh!" spell.

3rd:

Deep Slumber (Core). Essentially a Will save vs. death, up to 10 HD.

Deceptive Facade (Complete Mage). The only way in the game to cast a glamer on an object or creature.

Dispel Magic (Core). You have this on your druid side, but it's 4th level, and it has to be prepared, whereas the Sorcerer can whip this off spontaneously as need be.

Haste (Core). Useful to the point of mandatory.

Melf's Unicorn Arrow (PHBII). Ranged touch attack + shove opponents into pits/walls/fires/etc.

Wall of Chains (Book of Vile Darkness). Low-level wall spell to slow down, divide, or isolate opponents.

4th:

Evard's Black Tentacles (Core). Another quintessential encounter-ender. Usually an "autowin" if your opponents can't beat the grapple check.

Lesser Glove of Invulnerability (Core). One of the few ways in the game to avoid area effects. If you opt for the non-lesser version, consider taking charm monster, enervation or greater invisibility instead.

Polymorph (Core). When wildshape isn't quite cutting it.

Ruin Delver's Fortune (Spell Compendium). This one's kind of a toss-up with celerity, although many DMs ban that one outright. Both are something of a "Get Out of Instant Death Free Card", but this one is less likely to be banned.

Solid Fog (Core). Another signature BFC shutdown spell.

Shadow Conjuration (Core). Swiss Army conjuration spell. You never quite know what you're going to need this for.

5th:

Arcane Fusion (Complete Mage). Your signature "Wizards can't do this!" spell. Combine this with Sanctum Spell, and you can do unspeakable things to the action economy.

Break Enchantment (Core). Because sometimes dispel magic won't work.

Daltim's Fiery Tentacles (Shining South). Just like Evard's, only these are *on fire*.

Necrotic Skull Bomb (Champions of Ruin). Not quite as elegant as enervation, but *best spell name ever!*

Shadow Evocation (Core). Swiss Army evocation spell, although not necessarily for blasting: sending, interplanar message, shatter, floating disk, various Leomund/Bigby spells, etc.

Teleport (Core). For when you absolutely, positively have to be there *right now*. Once you get greater teleport, consider swapping this for greater blink.

6th:

Acid Fog (Core). As if solid fog could get any bett-- wait, no, this is better!

Contingency (Core). An old favorite of the "Impossible to Kill" wizards.

Disintegrate (Core). There are very few problems that this spell cannot solve, if used indiscriminantly enough.

Globe of Invulnerability (Core). As with the lesser version, one of the few ways in the game to ignore area effects.

Programmed Image (Core). If you missed major image or persistent image, then you can pick it up here, only we don't have to concentrate on it anymore.

True Seeing (Core). Druids get this a spell level later, but it's nice to have it early, and it's a trump card for way too many things (except invisible fog).

7th:

Arcane Spellsurge (Dragon Magic). This is basically an apology for forcing Sorcerers to increase their casting time when applying metamagic to spontaneous spells.

Forcecage (Core). May work best when paired up with some sort of dimensional anchor, but still one of the most popular "go sit in time-out" BFC spells.

Greater Teleport (Core). Make sure everyone gets there in one piece.

Plane Shift (Core). Interplanar travel can be a bit of a weak spot for druids. You can get around that somewhat by summing janni/djinns/etc., but that may involve a lot of mucking around with binding, negotiation, etc.

Greater Shadow Conjuration (Core). Same as the not-so-greater version, although now your target has to save vs. a 7th level spell.

Limited Wish (Core). Mostly for access to spells that didn't make it onto one of your class lists.

8th:

Dreaded Form of the Eye Tyrant (Complete Mage). Ten eye rays, ten different effects from one spell, including charm monster, disintegrate, flesh to stone, and telekinesis.

Greater Planar Binding (Core). Because it's not really a party until the black ethergaunts show up.

Greater Shadow Evocation (Core). Same as the not-so-greater version, but now we can replace contingency with something else.

Mind Blank (Core). The untrumpable trump card for way too many things.

Polymorph Any Object (Core). Conquer the world as a beholder mage or pastrami sandwich!

9th:

Astral Projection (Core). Go on dangerous adventures from the safety and comfort of your crib.

Time Stop (Core). All of the world's greatest pranks involve this one at some point.

Wish (Core). The ultimate "I want" spell.