PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Psion//Cloistered Cleric

Virdish
2013-07-09, 01:51 PM
So I'm trying to make a build for a friend of mine and this is what I have so far. I am looking to go a summoner route with this build. Character is evil so rebuke. Domains are Knowledge(Cloistered Cleric),Trickery, and Undeath. I've worked the build out to 5th level though it is still mutable.

Phrenic Human Psion 3/Cloistered Cleric 2//Human Paragon 3

Haven't worked out all of the feats though I know I am going to take Practiced Spellcaster for Human Paragon to bump cleric CL to full. HP levels will go to Psion so full ML and powers for Psion.

Biggest problem I am seeing in this build is that it is MAD. It needs Int,Wis, and Cha. Con is of secondary importance but still wanted. If I switch to Wilder I would only need Int and Cha with a healthy dose of Con on the side, but then I lose a lot in the powers known side of the house.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-09, 02:11 PM
Your stats are likely to not be an issue. I would even drop the phrenic template and human paragon levels and just go Psion 5 // cleric 5

A summoner can do with 14 for a casting stat (15 with a level bump and a +4 item gets you 19 and 9th level spells. You don't care about saves as a summoner. You will have enough slots/pp that you won't miss the bonuses from high stats.

If you are still concerned, then go for the crystal master PRC on the psion side and get an untyped +6 to int, wis and cha to go with your +6 items and +5 tomes. The +6 to saves and defense, +6 con, and DR won't hurt ether.

Shaper is likely your best bet for psion as asteral construct is the best power for low level summoning. It will carry you through low levels until clerical summoning gets better.

My build would be
Psion 5 / Crystal master 10 / constructor 5 // cloistered cleric 20

Though heavy armor doesn't hurt your abilities in ether class. I would seriously think over cleric rather than cloistered cleric for armor prof and better bab/HD.

Virdish
2013-07-09, 02:29 PM
I see what you are saying and I feel I should list some of my reasoning for some of the build choices.

Phrenic; Bonus Powers, ability modifiers, PR (psionics/magic transparency is in effect)

Coistered Cleric: Knowledge Domain/Lore, Knowledge Devotion for fun, better skill points adds to knowledge skills

As for Crystal master, totally forgot about that PRC, definitely going in the build.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-09, 02:36 PM
I just think the 2 LA isn't worth the cost. You get more PP from levels of psion, and crystal master can get you PR and stats.

Cloistered cleric is more of a preference thing. I could go ether way, though I don't think knowledge domain does you much good. Trade it for knowledge devotion immediately.

Virdish
2013-07-09, 02:49 PM
Trading out for knowledge Devotion was definitely the plan. I see you point on the LA and this way I don't need to take Practiced Spellcaster which opens up another feat slot. Any PRC's you might suggest for CC or just take it to 20?

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-09, 02:58 PM
Well, normally you can't fill both sides with PRC's, but if you CAN, I would suggest a CN or TN character and the Malconvoker class.

This opens up tons of buffs for your summoning of evil creatures. You can even bind yourself a few elder evils.

You have to go light on the undead, but meh.

Go for knowledge, planing and undeath as your domains (undeath grants extra turning right?) and then go for DMM persist to make permanent summoned creatures each day.

DMVerdandi
2013-07-09, 06:01 PM
So I'm trying to make a build for a friend of mine and this is what I have so far. I am looking to go a summoner route with this build. Character is evil so rebuke. Domains are Knowledge(Cloistered Cleric),Trickery, and Undeath. I've worked the build out to 5th level though it is still mutable.

Phrenic Human Psion 3/Cloistered Cleric 2//Human Paragon 3

Haven't worked out all of the feats though I know I am going to take Practiced Spellcaster for Human Paragon to bump cleric CL to full. HP levels will go to Psion so full ML and powers for Psion.

Biggest problem I am seeing in this build is that it is MAD. It needs Int,Wis, and Cha. Con is of secondary importance but still wanted. If I switch to Wilder I would only need Int and Cha with a healthy dose of Con on the side, but then I lose a lot in the powers known side of the house.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I would suggest this.

Psion 5/Cloistered cleric 5
Take Academic Priest from the dragonlance campaign setting.
It allows you to switch your casting stat to intelligence for divine casters.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-09, 07:23 PM
For a summoner:

Definitely get Psion 5 starting out, for Personal Construct (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a). That's a swift action casting time for Astral Construct. Keep in mind that per Complete Psionic you can only have one Astral Construct out at once, so you'll need some kind of summoning from your other casting class.

Get a Psicrystal, keep it in a compartment on your person so opponents will never have line if sight/effect to it and cannot target it directly or hit it with area effects. Put a Healing Belt on it so it can heal you during combat when needed. Keep Share Pain continually active on it so you always take half damage from everything, its Hardness 8 will reduce every instance of damage it takes from Share Pain by that much regardless of the damage type of the original attack. You can manifest Vigor and share it with the psicrystal like any buff for a considerable HP cushion.

Replace Cleric with Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) so you'll only need Int. Wis is still useful for bonus spells, but not even necessary with a gestalt double-caster.

Summon Nature's Ally is better than Summon Monster if you take Greenbound Summoning and/or Ashbound and/or get a Ring of the Beast. An Archivist can get any divine spell, including SNA. If you have a decent Wis score you can also pick up Spontaneous Summoner. Don't forget about the Summon Elemental reserve feat, which combined with Spontaneous Summoner allows you to always count your highest level prepared spell for how strong it is, provided you know a SNA of that level.

Archivist actually gets class features, so you can take prestige classes to progress Psion, such as Anarchic Initiate, Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b), and Ectopic Adept.