PDA

View Full Version : Question about PF Fighter ability and 3.5

blackwind1kaze
2013-07-09, 02:45 PM
1st question is this:

In Pathfinder - The Core Fighter can have at level 20 "Weapon Mastery". It says and i Quote:
"At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type."

I understand the Multiplier part but what i don't understand is this, Say i'm using a basic greatsword at level 20 (just go along with it), its stats would be 19-20/x2. I also have Improved Critical dropping that to 17-20/x2, does this mean that if i have rolled a minimum of a natural 17 that even if it doesn't beat the AC it is a Critical Threat and therefore acts like a Natural 20 for Crit damage because of the Weapon Mastery?

If so it leads onto my next question, in 3.5, is there ANY ability/feat like that that isn't truly fanmade?

Psyren
2013-07-09, 02:52 PM
A critical threat simply means you might score a critical if you win the second roll to hit. That is called "confirming." A Fighter 20 doesn't have to make the second roll - he automatically confirms all his threats.

To your specific example, a critical threat has to hit to be a threat. Natural 20 is the only roll that automatically hits, all the rest have to beat the target's AC like any other attack. So if you roll a 19 (or less) and it does not beat their AC, it's not a threat, even if it is within the weapon's threat range.

blackwind1kaze
2013-07-09, 02:55 PM
ah ok, well is there still anything 3.5 similar to this?

EDIT: like a Feat or something?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-07-09, 05:26 PM
I don't think there's anything quite that constant, but I know there are a number of situational and temporary methods of autoconfirming.

Right in the player's handbook there's the spell Bless Weapon.

In BoED, a Fist of Raziel of sufficient level autoconfirms on a smite and I think sanctified weapons also autoconfirm.

OA has the weapon master which can autoconfirm a number of times per day based on class level (I think) and he can (definitely) increase his crit multiplier several times a day.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not recalling off the top of my head.

Renegade Paladin
2013-07-09, 05:56 PM
To put this in perspective, though, the character must be Fighter 20 to gain the ability. There is no other way to get it or anything close. Considering some of PF's other class capstone abilities (to say nothing of 9th level spells), it's hardly out of line.

Though Fighter 20 with a greatsword, Improved Critical, Critical Focus, and some of the critical hit feats in Pathfinder could be truly nasty to anything that he can get close enough to hit. :smallcool:

Snowbluff
2013-07-09, 07:47 PM
To put this in perspective, though, the character must be Fighter 20 to gain the ability. There is no other way to get it or anything close. Considering some of PF's other class capstone abilities (to say nothing of 9th level spells), it's hardly out of line.

Though Fighter 20 with a greatsword, Improved Critical, Critical Focus, and some of the critical hit feats in Pathfinder could be truly nasty to anything that he can get close enough to hit. :smallcool:

Why a Greatsword? A falchion would do much better. :smallconfused: