PDA

View Full Version : Hi-jinks with quarterstaffs

RedF0x11
2013-07-09, 04:09 PM
In a game that is extremely non-serious I was wondering what sort of silly and rather awesome things could be accomplished with quarterstaffs? Especially considering they are entirely free, and a simple weapon.

ArqArturo
2013-07-09, 04:10 PM
In Pathfinder, there is the monk archetype that makes for interesting quarterstaff wielders. Also the Magus has a staff master archetype.

Lateral
2013-07-09, 04:15 PM
Druids have several spells that make quarterstaves awesome. Shillelagh, of course, but also spikes, brambles and, in particular, entangling staff.

Khedrac
2013-07-09, 04:19 PM
Don't forget Spellstaff which can be duplicated by Miracle. Yes very cleric capable of casting 9th level spells should carry a normal non-magical quarterstaff.

Currently my Arcane Hierophant normally keeps Teleport in hers - there is no actual limitation on which spells can be put in save that you have to be able to cast them.

Silly question time - what's the Use Magic Device DC for someone's Spellstaff?

RedF0x11
To be honest I was aiming more toward the ridiculous, the game format we are going to be playing is based entirely around being ridiculous (it is called the Raptor special by the DM, and we all start as commoners who have to spend 'awesome points' to gain things like character classes and buffs). So I plan to use something with quarterstaffs to achieve something ridiculous to gain some of those points to get to PC levels quickly. (sorry for being unclear, and thanks for the good replies)

Urpriest
On the high end of Hi-jinks, the fact that they're free means you can Craft them (with the Craft skill or via various abilities) in no time at all, instantly filling your environs with six foot sticks.

Quick Staff is a feat that can help a character who is optimizing Combat Expertise. For an example of a character that optimizes Combat Expertise, click on the trophy in my sig.

RedF0x11
2013-07-09, 04:22 PM
Thank you Urpriest! that sounds a little more like something I can do (begins to plan how to use that many quarterstaffs in game) :smallbiggrin: