PDA

View Full Version : Help this tiny tripper!

tuesdayscoming
2013-07-09, 06:58 PM
I'm helping a relatively new player build a character up. We've got a pretty decent chassis, I think, but it could definitely use a bit of help in proper feat selection. Her initial concept was for a "Shadow gnome who ran away from the circus, where he used to work as a pyrotechnics guy."

I suggested, among many other things, factotum as a lead-in to Combat Trapsmith.

This character will be coming in a little ways above eighth level.

The build:
Factotum 3 / Swordsage 1 / Combat Trapsmith 4.

Factotum 3 is taken for Brains over Brawn. Intelligence determines the save DC's of the CT's traps, as well as how difficult to spot them; as such, Brains over Brawn seemed like an elegant way to reduce MAD on this character, who will spend most of his time sneaking around the map, turning it into a terrifying mine field.

Swordsage was added for the Setting Sun maneuvers, which should allow her to throw her enemies into trapped tiles, when necessary.

The build qualifies for CT at 5th level because of our DM's generous reading of Bloodlines, which he fully endorses the use of. Please do not cry foul on this.

What we're looking for are suggestions to help make this basic chassis run more efficiently. Of particular use would be suggestions for how to raise the character's trip attempts through the roof (as the Setting Sun throw maneuvers are dependent on Trip attempts). The character is at something of a disadvantage on this front, as the race is a small one. The player is unwilling to change this particular aspect of the character.

Thank you so much, as always, Playground!

Waker
2013-07-09, 07:11 PM
The traps for the Combat Trapsmith are a little underwhelming. Perhaps if the DM allows you to increase the effectiveness of the traps by increasing the Craft check it would have a bit more longevity. You might instead check out the Trapsmith from Dungeonscape, which does some of the same things, but also grants access to spells cast off of your Intelligence modifier.

tuesdayscoming
2013-07-09, 07:34 PM
The traps for the Combat Trapsmith are a little underwhelming. Perhaps if the DM allows you to increase the effectiveness of the traps by increasing the Craft check it would have a bit more longevity. You might instead check out the Trapsmith from Dungeonscape, which does some of the same things, but also grants access to spells cast off of your Intelligence modifier.

Thanks for the tip, Waker. However, the player would like to avoid spellcasting. In large part, this is due to the fact that this game uses the variant Sanity rules from Unearthed Arcana, and every cast spell reduces your sanity by Xd6, where X is the spell's level. Even absent this, the player just does not feel like playing a caster.

Further, this is a relatively low-op group, and I, the player, and my DM feel that CT will likely work swimmingly with the current power dynamic.

Waker
2013-07-09, 08:01 PM
Fair enough. I would still see if the DM will allow increasing the duration and effects by increasing the Crafting DC. The Ability Focus feat might be useful. Trap Sensitivity (DS) would be thematic for the character. Since the character is small you will need to overcome the restrictions on Trip

You can try to trip an opponent as an unarmed melee attack. You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.
Confound the Big Folk (RotW) would seem to get around this restriction, as it can only be used against targets at least two size categories larger than you. It also meshes well with the Pebble Underfoot (DC) feat.