PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade's Arcane Channeling and 'Touch per CL' spells

DE5PA1R
2013-07-09, 09:38 PM
Hello all. I swear I registered a while back, but oh well.

TLDR
I'm a Duskblade who can Arcane Channel on a full attack. According to RAW, can I theoretically rack up insane damage if I just cast Chill Touch or similar touch spells every attack?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering about how spells that say "you can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level" (ex: Chill Touch) interact with the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability.

Scenario: I'm a 13th-level Duskblade. Using Arcane Channeling, I'm able to deliver touch spells on every hit on a full attack. My first attack, I deliver Chill Touch. My second attack, I deliver some other touch spell. Does Chill Touch affect the second attack too?

Arcane Channeling does say "If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved." But I'm not 100% sure what 'resolved' means in this context.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Reference: Chill Touch
Chill Touch
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/level)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

A touch from your hand, which glows with blue energy, disrupts the life force of living creatures. Each touch channels negative energy that deals 1d6 points of damage. The touched creature also takes 1 point of Strength damage unless it makes a successful Fortitude saving throw. You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level.

An undead creature you touch takes no damage of either sort, but it must make a successful Will saving throw or flee as if panicked for 1d4 rounds +1 round per caster level.

and Arcane Channeling:
Arcane Channeling (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack. Casting a spell in this manner does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less. If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved.

At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-07-09, 09:50 PM
From the SRD

Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

The chill touch spell would dissipate if you were to cast another spell during a full attack using the Arcane Channeling ability.

EDIT:

In your above scenario you would channel Chill Touch with your first attack and if you hit the target they will have to make a Fort save versus the strength damage portion of the spell and would take the extra 1d6 damage. Should you choose to channel a different spell on your second attack, Chill Touch would dissipate and the second spell would instead be channeled into the attack.

Does that help?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-09, 10:17 PM
I think there has been a misreading of the arcane channeling ability.

You can cast one touch spell and do a full attack. Every target hit is also hit by that single touch spell. You can't cast another touch spell after each attack.

PrismCat21
2013-07-10, 06:11 AM
Ok, here we go.

Question:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering about how spells that say "you can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level" (ex: Chill Touch) interact with the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability.
Even though Chill Touch says "You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level.", you are not casting the spell normally. Casting it through Arcane Channeling uses up all charges it may otherwise have.

Arcane Channeling: At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round. Doing so discharges the spell at the end of the round, in the case of a touch spell that would otherwise last longer than 1 round.

Scenario:
I'm a 13th-level Duskblade. Using Arcane Channeling, I'm able to deliver touch spells on every hit on a full attack. My first attack, I deliver Chill Touch. My second attack, I deliver some other touch spell. Does Chill Touch affect the second attack too?
When using Arcane Channeling, you may only channel one spell per full attack action.

Arcane Channeling: At 13th level, you can cast any touch spell you know as part of a full attack action

Before level 13, you are only able to channel a spell through one attack. At level 13, the spell you choose automatically affects every target you successfully hit, but you still only get to channel the one spell as part of that full attack action. If you are able to preform an additional standard action that same round, you may use the pre-level 13 version of Arcane Channeling that uses only a standard action to channel a spell through one attack.

Question:
Arcane Channeling does say "If the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the spell is resolved." But I'm not 100% sure what 'resolved' means in this context.
Resolved in this context means that the target is then affected by the spell. Whatever the spell would have done to the target normally, gets to now happen.

~~ My computer is being screwy and most of the fun format options are not showing up, so my post is just a wall of text. Sorry.