PDA

View Full Version : your a wizzard battman

navycake
2013-07-09, 09:58 PM
so i have been reading the "Being Batman: the Logic Ninja's Guide to Wizards" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002) and my friend i have every thig set up besides a weapon. and yes i know im a wizard and dont necessarily need one but its nice to have. i was thinking something along the lines of a bowstaff, or some sort of other magic staff but idk what is your opinion????????????????????????:smallsmile::smallb iggrin::smallyuk::smallmad::smalltongue::smalleek: :smallcool::smallwink:

fishyfishyfishy
2013-07-09, 10:00 PM
If you're starting at a low level it wouldn't hurt to carry around a light crossbow so you have something to do when your limited number of spells can't help in the current situation. Just be careful about aiming at enemies engaged in melee and you should be fine.

eggynack
2013-07-09, 10:02 PM
You should probably just pick up a crossbow of some kind. You're proficient in it, and you probably never want to close to melee range. It's the standard wizard weapon, because it gives you something to do when you lack slots.

navycake
2013-07-09, 10:04 PM
but you see im a grey elf so i'm automagicaly proficient with a regular bow

eggynack
2013-07-09, 10:07 PM
Well, there ya go then. Use a regular bow. This seems like a simple enough problem to solve.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-07-09, 10:08 PM
I did not see that, because it was not included in your original post. If it were, it would have been suggested over the light crossbow.

If you are specifically looking for a melee weapon, it doesn't really matter what you choose. You aren't going to use it much (if at all). As a full wizard you really want to avoid melee at all costs.

EDIT:

If you're wanting a magical staff as your first post suggests, you're unlikely to get one until you are a very high level.

Scow2
2013-07-09, 10:10 PM
Best melee weapon to have for emergency use is obviously whichever sword you're proficient with.

navycake
2013-07-09, 10:12 PM
i feel like a derp thanks

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-09, 10:14 PM
Elvencraft Bow, pg. 166 Races of the Wild. It's a bow that has been reinforced and can be used as a club (shortbow) or a quarterstaff (longbow).

Any weapon enhancements have to be added separately for the ranged or melee capabilities though.
This was mentioned in another thread and I think would consistent thematically for your character as well, being elven.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-07-09, 10:14 PM
It can happen to the best of us.

Happy gaming!

ericgrau
2013-07-09, 10:15 PM
Best melee is a dagger. Not for ever going into melee, but to cut objects with. And for its low weight.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-09, 10:21 PM

Unless you've got a 10 or higher Strength, you might STILL consider a crossbow.

The Glyphstone
2013-07-09, 10:22 PM
Alternately, a scythe. Simple weapon with x4 crit, for those juicy Sleep or Color Spray-induced CdG attacks.

Unless you've got a 10 or higher Strength, you might STILL consider a crossbow.

Even without bonus damage from Composite, the Bow can still be a better choice because he doesn't spend actions reloading.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-09, 10:26 PM
Alternately, a scythe. Simple weapon with x4 crit, for those juicy Sleep or Color Spray-induced CdG attacks.

Even without bonus damage from Composite, the Bow can still be a better choice because he doesn't spend actions reloading.

It's not bonus damage I'm worried about, it's the penalty to damage you take for having a Strength below 10.

Since you're not getting iteratives, keeping a loaded light crossbow is never a bad idea for the low levels. Whenever you have a spare move action, just reload.

White_Drake
2013-07-09, 10:27 PM
Also, scythes are martial weapons. The only x3 (there are no x4 simple melee weapons) simple melee weapons are katars and spears.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-09, 10:32 PM
Also, scythes are martial weapons. The only x3 (there are no x4 simple melee weapons) simple melee weapons are katars and spears.

Nonproficiency gives you a -4 penalty to hit. Coup de gras automatically hits. Problem solved!

If you really wanted to swing it in battle, you could stick a wand chamber with Master's Touch in there, and just use it as a fancy walking stick or CDG death machine otherwise.

navycake
2013-07-09, 10:34 PM
again i failed to clarify in my original and first post ever, but i was thinking more along the lines of a magic staff, just for poops and giggles, im still most likely going to have a bow to start but later on i think i would like a staff of some sort

The Glyphstone
2013-07-09, 10:36 PM

Oops.

And the bow point is noted, I forgot Strength penalties apply to bow attacks.

again i failed to clarify in my original and first post ever, but i was thinking more along the lines of a magic staff, just for poops and giggles, im still most likely going to have a bow to start but later on i think i would like a staff of some sort

Magic weapons cost money. If you just want an enchanted quarterstaff, you can get that by level 5 or so. If you want an actual Magic Stave, with stored spells, that costs lots of money and you won't be able to afford one for a long time.

White_Drake
2013-07-09, 10:37 PM
Have you considered a runestaff? They're magic items from the Magic Item Compendium which allow you to broaden your spell repertoire.

navycake
2013-07-09, 10:48 PM
the runestaff actually never crossed my mind it maybe exactly what i was looking for