PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding custom items

Scorponok
2013-07-10, 01:26 AM
Hey Playground pals,

A conversation came up with one of the players playing in my campaign, and he said it was possible to create a wand that could fire 20 magic missiles at once. This wand would only cost 20000.

Since I am a pretty new DM (only been DMing for 3 years and playing for 0 years before that) I wanted to know whether this can be created using RAW or if the fella is pulling my leg. He said it was not in the DMG or Magic Item Compendium, but could be created by a wizard.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-07-10, 01:34 AM
Unlike most of the rules, which spell out what a character can do unless the DM says no, the item creation guidelines can only be used to create a given item if the DM says yes.

If I had to guess though, he's probably using the 2000gp constant for use activated items and multiplying by 20 for 20 instances of magic missile for

CL * SL * C, where CL is caster level, SL is spell level, and C is the appropriate constant.

1*1*2000=2000gp for a use activated device of magic missle.

20 such instances of that in one device makes 40000gp.

Divided by half for crafting instead of buying makes 20000gp.

I wouldn't let it fly, but that's probably how he's getting it.

However:

There's a RAW legal way to fire 15 magic missles in one full-round action.

Three wands of magic missle at CL 9.

That's 1*9*750=6750gp for each of the three; totalling 20250gp.

One rod of many wands (CM page 128) for 27000.

Rod + wands = 47250gp. This can fire 15 magic missles 16 times, at which point each of the wands will have two remaining charges.

You can then remove one wand and fire it. Then fire 10 missles on the following round; completely expending those two wands; leaving you with one wand with a single, 5 missle charge.

Flickerdart
2013-07-10, 01:39 AM
Magic items crated using the guidelines should be priced according to the results, not the process. Firing 20 magic missiles at once is an effect that most closely resembles using magic missile at CL41 (plus a CL cap breaker), which I believe makes it an Epic item and would cost in the order of millions.

TuggyNE
2013-07-10, 03:43 AM
Magic items crated using the guidelines should be priced according to the results, not the process. Firing 20 magic missiles at once is an effect that most closely resembles using magic missile at CL41 (plus a CL cap breaker), which I believe makes it an Epic item and would cost in the order of millions.

Not that it's actually worth that much, but eh.

Devronq
2013-07-10, 04:11 AM
I know a more legal way to do it... Lets make a wand of twin greater magic missel (chain missel spell compendium) that fires 20 darts that ricochet and hit 20 more targets at the cost of a level 7 wand?

im not an expert on this stuff but
750X7X20=105,000gp? seems more legal but not cheap

Pilo
2013-07-10, 05:13 AM
That's not legal, wands are limited to 4th level spells and lower.

Feytalist
2013-07-10, 06:27 AM
So make it a staff then.

Although... isn't chain missile a level 4 spell anyway?

eggynack
2013-07-10, 06:35 AM
So make it a staff then.

Although... isn't chain missile a level 4 spell anyway?
Yes, though a metamagic'd force missile would have a spell level higher than four. However, it's possible to use metamagic reduction on a wand, so you can probably put something good together.

Feytalist
2013-07-10, 06:43 AM
Yes, though a metamagic'd force missile would have a spell level higher than four. However, it's possible to use metamagic reduction on a wand, so you can probably put something good together.

Aha. I missed the part where it said "twin".

Can still just make it a staff though. Except for the slight price difference, and the use of a different feat, there's no mechanical difference anyway.

Deophaun
2013-07-10, 06:54 AM
Yes, though a metamagic'd force missile would have a spell level higher than four.
Actually, it only increases the slot required, not the actual level of the spell.

eggynack
2013-07-10, 06:58 AM
Actually, it only increases the slot required, not the actual level of the spell.
True, but, "Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level."