PDA

View Full Version : Judo feats?

chrek
2006-12-08, 05:54 PM
Ok, not really Judo, but one of the things that really bothers me about grappling rules is there's not really any rules for throwing your opponent, atleast not satisfactory ones.

I don't see why There shouldn't be a basic grapple rule that allows you to initiate a grapple and on one (Maybe two) successes, your opponent takes either unarmed, or 1d6 damage (nonlethal if no unarmed strike) which ever is more, and he is prone and no longer grappled.

I was thinking there could be an entire feat tree that sprouted from this rule, but I'm having a hard time coming up with rules for it, any ideas?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-12-09, 02:57 AM
Nowhere in the grappling rules does it specify that you go prone at any time, which makes sense to me. In fact, from my experience with jujitsu, you don't go prone until you try going for a pin.

On the other hand...
http://www.dndarchive.com/article_throwing_an_opponent.shtml

Stathfolos
2006-12-09, 10:33 AM
There are some Judo related feats in Orientral Adventures. Choke Hold lets you choke an opponent after pinning them while Defensive Throw basically replicates a judo throw.

There might be more, but those two are the ones that most directly apply to judo.

Edit: The trip attack rules are basically describing how to do a judo match in the d20 system.

chrek
2006-12-09, 11:14 AM
I went back over the rules of what you can do while grappled and Thomar's right, there's no rules for going prone short of pinning someone, and that actually doesn't explicitly say the person being pinned is prone.

I think my previous post allowed me to put right in my head what I'm looking for. It would basicly be an addendum to the grappling rules with a feat tree to back it up:

Throw your opponent:
If you win at a grapple attempt you can then make another immediate grapple check, if you are successful you can throw your opponent. This puts him prone in the square of your choice, doing your unarmed damage or 1d6 bludgeoning, whichever is more. Your opponent is also prone, though he can make a tumble check DC equal to your grapple check to be standing, and half the damage.

If opponents try to move through the square with a prone opponent from this maneuver that square counts as two squares that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity.

I have one feat to add to this, and I'll probably come up with some more, but as a starting point, how's this look?

Celeste Seduiletal
2006-12-09, 01:00 PM
The only problem with this is that you're making grapple take the place of Bull Rush in specific situations. If I'm fighting a guy on the edge of a cliff (or something along those lines) and I want to knock him off, why would I bother with a Bull Rush that he could step aside for, when all I have to do is beat him in two grapple checks (which use the same mods as Bull Rush)?

chrek
2006-12-09, 01:35 PM
Actually I'm opening up more possibilities, since You can take Improved bullrush to get a +4, or Improved Grapple for a +4.

My thought is that while a fighter might bullrush an opponent, that's not a monk wouldn't need to move to use an opponent's own body against him and his allies, nor would someone else using the unarmed tree.

I'm doing this to give better simulation to the monk that stands in a group of 4 people, and with 3 moves has all 4 on the group, no incapacitated, but in a much worse situation, I'm not saying you could do that given my new throw option right out of the box, but a couple of custom feats later, and it would be feasible.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-09, 06:53 PM
There's a feat in d20 modern that might be usefull for this sort of thing if you adapt the prerequisites, Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple would probably be best.

http://www.12tomidnight.com/d20modernsrd/Feats.php?Name=Improved+Combat+Throw

chrek
2006-12-10, 01:58 PM
That's pretty close to what I'm looking for, Closet. It seems like all the throws I come across assume it's basicly a trip, though and that's not entirely what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I'll post my modified rules later this week when I finish them, everyone can let me know what they think.

Gryndle
2006-12-10, 03:09 PM
some of the maneuvers in the Tome of battle cover what you are looking for. In fact one of the schools in there, Setting Sun, is almost a perfect redition of Aikido/Aikijutsu. Lots of take downs and throws.

chrek
2006-12-10, 05:09 PM
Is that a Wizards book, can you point me at a link to take a quick look?

magic8BALL
2006-12-10, 10:49 PM
I don't see why There shouldn't be a basic grapple rule that allows you to initiate a grapple and on one (Maybe two) successes, your opponent takes either unarmed, or 1d6 damage (nonlethal if no unarmed strike) which ever is more, and he is prone and no longer grappled.

Becouse there is...

You deal unarmed damage on a sucsesful grapple attempt. You can Pin in two successes (one to initiate graple, one to pin). You can leave a graple if you are pinning as a free action. Player Hand Book v3.5 p 155-7.

there is also a feat in Races of Stone called fling enemy. You pick up an ememy smaller than you and trow them, just like a giant throws a rock. But this isn't quite what you where after, was it?

Zion_of_the_Flame
2006-12-24, 12:24 PM
just Use The d20 skills-n-feats martial arts system (http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/falkayn/d20martialarts.pdf).