PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bad ideas on a tibbit.

Yael
2013-07-10, 05:31 AM
So, after I read a post down there, I decided to build a tibbit (my favorite race along with the halflings and changelings). However I found something about it that would be a very bad idea.

Normally, when I build casters I dump STR on 8, normally the hit don't hurt (another -2), and even I would go pathetic on it (other -2) being the most weak person in da' neighbor~~ However, when changing to cat form... What happens? Let's say that I add 2 points on the point buy for getting:
10 - minus 2 = 8.
Now, if I change to cat form... another -8...?
That would let me on a straight cero, it would be pathetic for this guy that when he enters cat he just go potatoe...

It really go to 0?

The -8 overlaps the -2?
And so, the +2 overlaps the other +2?

Whaaat happeeeenss~~~~ x.x

Jeff the Green
2013-07-10, 05:35 AM
The -8 penalty stacks with the -2 racial penalty, but can't bring it below 3.

Yael
2013-07-10, 05:37 AM

If that's so, the +2 stacks with the +2?

Edit: Thank you! (forgot to say n.nU)

Jeff the Green
2013-07-10, 05:38 AM
If that's so, the +2 stacks with the +2?

Edit: Thank you! (forgot to say n.nU)

Yes. So if you roll a 16 for Dexterity, your Dexterity in humanoid form would be 18 and your Dexterity in cat form would be 20. If you rolled 8 for your Strength, it'd be 6 in humanoid form and 3 in cat form.

Yael
2013-07-10, 05:41 AM
Yes. So if you roll a 16 for Dexterity, your Dexterity in humanoid form would be 18 and your Dexterity in cat form would be 20. If you rolled 8 for your Strength, it'd be 6 in humanoid form and 3 in cat form.

Yay!

Another thing, I suppose this is not needed to be asked, but a tibbit cannot speak another language other than Feline while on cat form, right? If that's so, is there any form of speaking Common (or any other language) while on its cat form?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-10, 05:55 AM
Telepathy definitely works. The Hands of Man magic item + Drow Sign Language works. Pearl of Speech might work (I doubt it).

Teacup
2013-07-10, 08:29 AM
I don't think it's unreasonable to allow a Pearl of Speech to work that way. Also, paying 600gp for the ability to speak in common while in cat form is not unbalancing either way. A tibbit character in an upcoming game of mine does this.

mattie_p
2013-07-10, 08:47 AM

Do you have a rules source for this? The only limitation I see on ability scores is that intelligence cannot be reduced below 3, cited numerous times in other threads (including some on this page, I believe). Strength and other ability scores can be reduced to 1 as a starting character (roll a 3 for charisma, go half orc, reduce to 1) by the RAW.

Just ensure you have a minimum of 9 after the racial penalty and you'll be safe.

kreenlover
2013-07-10, 08:51 AM
Do you have a rules source for this? The only limitation I see on ability scores is that intelligence cannot be reduced below 3, cited numerous times in other threads (including some on this page, I believe). Strength and other ability scores can be reduced to 1 as a starting character (roll a 3 for charisma, go half orc, reduce to 1) by the RAW.

It states in the 3.0 supplement Hero Builder's Guidebook that it is a good idea to dump your 3s in charisma and intelligence if you are a half orc. This is because any PCs ability score cannot be reduced to lower than 3 unless by magic.

That isn't exact wording as I am AFB, but the Hero Builders Guidebook should say something like that

mattie_p
2013-07-10, 09:05 AM
It states in the 3.0 supplement Hero Builder's Guidebook that it is a good idea to dump your 3s in charisma and intelligence if you are a half orc. This is because any PCs ability score cannot be reduced to lower than 3 unless by magic.

That isn't exact wording as I am AFB, but the Hero Builders Guidebook should say something like that

From DMG, p 172:

For ability scores lower than 10, the procedure is different. First, roll the PC’s ability score (4d6, discarding the low die), and compare the roll to the monster’s average ability score, using either the table below that applies to Intelligence or the table that applies to the other five ability scores. For example, the minotaur has a listed Intelligence score of 7, so the player consults the “6–7” column on the table that applies to Intelligence. She then rolls 4d6, dropping the low result, and gets a 10. Checking the left-hand column on the table and reading across to the proper column, she sees that her minotaur PC has an Intelligence score of 6.

The separate table for Intelligence ensures that no PC ends up with an Intelligence score lower than 3. This is important, because creatures with an Intelligence score lower than 3 are not playable characters. Creatures with any ability score lower than 1 are also not playable, and you should think twice about letting in a PC with any ability score lower than 3.

(Tables are on page 173). So a strength can be 1. Int is a minimum of 3, but you can have a half-orc with a charisma of 1, or a character of any number of monstrous races. Ur-priest can help, if he comes to the thread.

EDIT: Or the other tibbit thread. Do we really need two tibbit threads started within 24 hours of each other?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-10, 10:54 AM

Just ensure you have a minimum of 9 after the racial penalty and you'll be safe.

For the stacking? They're untyped, and not from the same source.

For the "can't drop below 3," it's a specific exception to the rule:

A tibbit [in cat form] suffers a -8 penalty to Strength (minimum 3) but gains a +2 bonus to Dexterity.

Metahuman1
2013-07-10, 11:40 AM
For the stacking? They're untyped, and not from the same source.

For the "can't drop below 3," it's a specific exception to the rule:

Hmmm, now if there was just a way to completely factor out strength in favor of either dex or a mental stat for damage. (Alas, shadow blade strike would just off set it by adding a + to the -. Also, it stops you form using any none shadow hand stances. Which is annoying. )

Jeff the Green
2013-07-10, 01:42 PM
Hmmm, now if there was just a way to completely factor out strength in favor of either dex or a mental stat for damage. (Alas, shadow blade strike would just off set it by adding a + to the -. Also, it stops you form using any none shadow hand stances. Which is annoying. )

As mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291781), CE soulborn 2 gets you immunity to Strength penalties, which includes the one from shifting to cat form. This was my idea:

Building on that, CE Tibbit Soulborn 2/Hit and run Fighter 1/Swordsage 1/Warblade 2/Bloodclaw Master 5/Warshaper 5/<something> 4

Pick up Weapon Finesse, Underfoot Combat, Confound the Big Folk, and Shadow Blade. You enter your enemies' squares, making them flatfooted. You then get twice your Dexterity bonus to damage in addition to your Strength, which not only doesn't get the penalty but also gets a +4-6 bonus. You can grow more claws than you have limbs and are just generally a fuzzy little ball of hate and fury.

Some Factotum in there might be good too.