PDA

View Full Version : Magic Stone Questions

AzureNightshade
2013-07-10, 05:36 AM
Long story short, I'm looking for an item like, maybe a sling or a pouch, that confers the properties of the magic stone spell onto rocks placed into them.
Or if you can think of it; other ways of obtaining constant magic stone ammo for throwing/slinging, the cheaper the better!

Or! How much a custom made item would be.

All of these would be very helpful!

Thank you.

Evolved Shrimp
2013-07-10, 06:04 AM
I'm not aware of any item that does exactly what you want. But a sling +2 (undead bane) would be very close, just superior: Same average damage, better to-hit, better undead bonus damage. Yours for the low price of 18300 gp.

If you want to create a custom sling that confers exactly the bonuses from Magic Stone, not more, I think treating it as equivalent to a simple sling +2 would be fair, meaning it'd set you back 8300 gp.

Since ranged magic weapons confer their bonuses to their ammo, you could use either sling with normal (nonmagical) bullets.

AzureNightshade
2013-07-10, 06:23 AM
I'm not aware of any item that does exactly what you want. But a sling +2 (undead bane) would be very close, just superior: Same average damage, better to-hit, better undead bonus damage. Yours for the low price of 18300 gp.

If you want to create a custom sling that confers exactly the bonuses from Magic Stone, not more, I think treating it as equivalent to a simple sling +2 would be fair, meaning it'd set you back 8300 gp.

Since ranged magic weapons confer their bonuses to their ammo, you could use either sling with normal (nonmagical) bullets.

Was more looking at the 1d6 damage instead of 1d3 (its for a halfling) and the +1 (easy to obtain) although I suppose a +1 shocking sling would just be plain superior over all... I was hoping for something cheaper though.

The Gloves of Endless Javelins (7000) seems like a good start maybe just change the flavor to force rocks and leave the damage the same... lol

A Wand of Magic Stone would only be like 750gp?

The table on page 285 of the DMG mentions that a wand with 50 charges costs half as much as an item with unlimited uses... so maybe a "quiver" or ring of magic stone would only cost 1500gp?

Since caster level is of no consequence, does that seem correct?

Edit:
Alternatively on the same table a continuous one would be spell level x caster level x 2000, resulting in a 2000gp item so I think i have a fairly good case for something like this being possible with out even going outside of corebook rules...

NeoPhoenix0
2013-07-10, 06:32 AM
a wand (50 charges) would cost 750 gp.

An eternal wand (2/day) of magic stone would cost 820 gp.

An item of unlimited uses of magic stone would cost 2000 gp

Edit: the 50 charges costing 1/2 the base item is for half the cost of unlimited uses and makes an item with 50 charges that don't require the spell trigger method to activate like a wand does. Such an item would cost 1000gp.

AzureNightshade
2013-07-10, 06:53 AM
a wand (50 charges) would cost 750 gp.

An eternal wand (2/day) of magic stone would cost 820 gp.

An item of unlimited uses of magic stone would cost 2000 gp

Edit: the 50 charges costing 1/2 the base item is for half the cost of unlimited uses and makes an item with 50 charges that don't require the spell trigger method to activate like a wand does. Such an item would cost 1000gp.

Gotcha, still 2000 gp is a lot cheaper then 8000gp, and if it can be put onto a sling all the better, even though I feel gloves or a pouch most appropriate. Now we just need some kind of extra dimensional space to store all those rocks in that can be quick drawn from.

Teacup
2013-07-10, 08:48 AM
You can find the Quiver of Anariel here (http://web.archive.org/web/20050826110524/http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/lonedrowstats).

Dragon Magazine Compendium also has the Quiver of Plenty, which is much cheaper (only 18,000) and can create arrows of different materials.

The sling stone equivalent could even be priced slightly lower, as its ammunition (including that made from special materials) is cheaper.

Humble Master
2013-07-10, 09:04 AM
As a DM I would probably rule that you could craft a Sling that bestows Magic Stones upon any stones you shoot and price it at 1 x caster level x 2000 + 300(for the sling) GP.