PDA

View Full Version : An Unorthodox Ranger

Tintreach
2013-07-10, 01:21 PM
I am looking to play a bit of a strange character. I am going to be a Minotaur Ranger with two-weapon combat. I need some help choosing feats for my character. I am going to be a level 5 character, so I will be a level 3 ranger. I need help choosing the 5 feats I get for my character.

My stat array:
Str 20
Dex 17
Int 10
Wis 13
Cha 6
Con 14

I have a few ideas for feats and that is why I chose the array above. I have a high dex so that I can grab Improved Two-Weapon Fightning.

I know that this may seem like a strange class for a Minotaur but I appreciate all the help.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-10, 01:30 PM
If you are using the standard Minotaur from the Monster Manual, you should be aware that "A minotaur begins with six levels of monstrous humanoid" and has a level adjustment of +2. So a level 3 Minotaur ranger would be ECL 11.

Darrin
2013-07-10, 01:31 PM
I am looking to play a bit of a strange character. I am going to be a Minotaur Ranger with two-weapon combat. I need some help choosing feats for my character. I am going to be a level 5 character, so I will be a level 3 ranger.

Minotaur has 6 racial HD of Monstrous Humanoid. 6 RHD + 3 class levels + LA 2 = ECL 11. If you're just using class levels + LA, then you don't get feats for LA.

If you have access to Dragon Magazine material, then the Half-Minotaur template can be added to any humanoid race, but even among optimizers it's considered a bit cheesy.

There's also a medium-sized Minotaur race in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting that has no racial HD, no LA, and might be much more playable for what you're trying to do.

If you need help selecting feats for TWF, check my TWF OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15034585). I'm rather partial to Travel Devotion and Double Hit.

Urpriest
2013-07-10, 01:57 PM
In general, not knowing about racial hit dice is a pretty good sign that you need to read up on the rules for monsters before deciding to play one. I have a Monster Handbook in my sig that should help you a great deal.