PDA

View Full Version : Blessed be (3.5 Base Class)...

Xaotiq1
2013-07-10, 01:48 PM
Okay, I decided to try my hands at a cleric rewrite. I know it isn't elegant; but I re-skinned the Shadowcaster and changed some abilities around. If I can improve it, let me know! Thanks, as always, comes in advance.
BLESSED
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Aura, homilies, lore, orisons|1

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Divine grace|1

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Channel faith|1|1

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bonus orison|1|1

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Sustained by faith (eat 1 meal/week)|1|1|1

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Lay on hands|1|1|1

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Homilies (spell-like), blessings|2|2|2|1

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Bonus orison|2|2|2|1

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6||2|2|2|1|1

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Sustained by faith (sleep 1 hour/day)|2|2|2|1|1

11th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7||2|2|2|1|1|1

12th|
+6|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bonus orison|2|2|2|1|1|1

13th|
+6|
+8|
+4|
+8|Homilies (supernatural), blessings (spell-like), miracles|3|3|3|2|2|2|1

14th|
+7|
+9|
+4|
+9|Orisons (at-will)|3|3|3|2|2|2|1

15th|
+7|
+9|
+5|
+9|Sustained by faith (immune to poison/disease)|3|3|3|2|2|2|1|1

16th|
+8|
+10|
+5|
+10|Bonus orison|3|3|3|2|2|2|1|1

17th|
+8|
+10|
+5|
+10||3|3|3|2|2|2|1|1|1

18th|
+9|
+11|
+6|
+11||3|3|3|2|2|2|1|1|1

19th|
+9|
+11|
+6|
+11|Sustained by faith (no need to breathe, eat, or sleep)|3|3|3|2|2|2|1|1|1

20th|
+10|
+12|
+6|
+12|Bonus orison, emissary of the divine|3|3|3|2|2|2|1|1|1[/table]

Class Skills

The Blessed’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int modifier. x4 at 1st level.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the blessed.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A blessed is proficient in all simple weapons, light and medium armor, and all shields except tower shields.

Aura (Ex): A blessed of a chaotic, evil, good, or lawful deity has a particularly powerful aura corresponding to their alignment (see detect evil spell for details).

Lore (Ex): A blessed may make a special knowledge check with a bonus equal to his blessed level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the blessed has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), he gains a +2 bonus on this check.) A successful lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A blessed may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

Spells: Blessed cast divine spells from the cleric spell list. For the blessed, these spells are placed in four categories. 0th level spells are now known as orisons and are covered below. 1st-3rd level spells are called homilies. 4th-6th level spells are called blessings. 7th-9th level spells are called miracles. You know one spell at 1st level and gain one additional spell every class level. Up to 6th level, you can learn only homilies. At 7th level, you gain access to blessings, and at 13th level you become able to use miracles. You can choose your new spell from any category you have access to (including orisons). For instance, at 8th level, you could select either a orison, a homily, or a blessing.

Blessed spells progresses in very specific stages. You may not "jump ahead" in your study. Within a category (homily, blessing, and miracle), you can only learn spells of a new level if you have learned at least two spells of a previous level. For example, you cannot learn aid (a second level homily) until you know at least two 1st-level homilies. spells represent links to the gods so alien that other spells seem simple in comparison. As you progress, however, you connection to your deity grows stronger, and your spells become more ingrained in your essence. When you are capable of casting only apprentice spells, you cast them as though they were divine spells. They all have the listed components, are subject to interruption; and they require material components, foci, etc.

At 7th level, when you become capable of casting blessings (whether or not you choose to learn any) your homilies become so much a part of you that they now function as spell-like abilities, and they no longer require somatic components. Your new blessings (when you learn them) function as divine spells and follow the rules described above.

When you reach 13th level and become capable of casting miracles, another chance occurs. Your miracles now function as divine spells, and your blessings function as spell-like abilities. Your homilies become supernatural abilities.

You can use each spell you know a certain number of times per day depending on whether it is cast as a spell(once), a spell-like ability(two times), or a supernatural ability(three times). The allotments per level are given on the class table above, but only apply if you are able to cast spells of the level indicated. For example, if you choose breadth over depth and know no 4th-level spells as a 7th-level blessed, you cannot take advantage of the one use per mystery per day detailed in the table.

Unlike spell casters, you don't get bonus spells for a high ability score. You may, however, use your Channel Faith ability to attempt to gain additional uses of a given spell (See below). Although you do not prepare spells, you must rest for 8 hours and meditate for 15 minutes each day to regain use of spells just as a sorcerer or bard must rest and meditate to regain use of spell slots.

In order to cast a spell, you must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the mystery's level. The save DC for your spells as spells or spell-like abilities equals 10 + spell level + your Cha modifier. The save DC for your spells as supernatural abilities is 10 +1/2 caster level + your Charisma modifier. Even though as a blessed you do not "cast spells" in the traditional sense, your levels in this class count for the purposes of determining your overall caster level.

Spells, regardless of how they are cast (spell, spell-like, supernatural)qualify the blessed for divine PrC's as if they were spells of the appropriate level.

Orisons (Su): As a blessed, you must master certain basic powers before proceeding to deeper divine guidance. These powers, known as orisons, function as supernatural abilities usable three time per day. You begin play with three orisons and gain an additional orison at 4th level and every four additional levels beyond 4th.

At 14th level, you can use your orisons an unlimited number of times per day. You can, when gaining a new level, choose a new orison in place of another mystery. When choosing a orison, you can "relearn" an already known orison, thus gaining another set of uses of that orison per day. The save DC of any orison is equal to 10 + 1/2 your caster level + your Cha modifier.

Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a blessed gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Channel Faith (Su): Any blessed, regardless of alignment, has the power to affect undead creatures and outsiders by channeling the power of his faith through his holy (or unholy) symbol (see Turn or Rebuke Undead).

A good blessed (or a neutral blessed who worships a good deity) can turn or destroy undead creatures. An evil blessed (or a neutral blessed who worships an evil deity) instead rebukes or commands such creatures. A neutral blessed of a neutral deity must choose whether his turning ability functions as that of a good blessed or an evil blessed. Once this choice is made, it cannot be reversed. Additionally, the blessed may attempt to banish outsiders and elementals to their original plane of existence, if they are not so already.

A blessed can also attempt to use any divinity they know, but have depleted its uses per day. To do so, the blessed must use a full round action and make a charisma check (DC= 15 + (the divinity’s level x 2). The blessed can gain no bonuses to this roll other than their own Cha modifier, nor can they use any spell or ability to re-roll the result. This is a direct petition to the deity for more power. If the check succeeds, they gain one use of the requested divinity. If the check fails, the blessed suffers a “crisis of faith” and suffers a penalty to ability checks, Armor class, attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks equal to their Charisma modifier; their Divine Grace ability, and the use of their highest grade of divinities for one week; or until the receive an atonement spell.

A blessed may attempt to channel faith a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. A blessed with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion) gets a +2 bonus on turning checks against undead. A blessed with 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (the Planes) gets a +2 bonus on that check.

Sustained by Faith (Ex): At 5th level your faith in your deity or cause allows you to absorb divine energies that mitigate certain biological needs. You need eat only a single meal per week to maintain health. At 10th level, you only need 1 hour of sleep per night (but you must still rest for 8 hours to regain your mysteries for the next day). At 15th level, you can immunity to non-magical diseases and poisons. Finally, at 20th level, you no longer need to breathe, and need never eat or sleep.

Emissary of the Divine (Su): At 20th level, a blessed has been infused with enough divine energy that they are no longer a normal member of their race. A 20th level blessed receives the following ability adjustments: +4 Str, +2Dex, +4 Con, +2 Int, +4 Wis, +4 Cha.

In addition, they gain the outsider type with the augmented, angel, and native subtypes; meaning that they may be affected by raise dead and resurrection spells. Evil blessed gain their protective aura benefits versus good creatures. Neutral blessed gain whatever option matches their Channel divinity choice to turn or rebuke undead.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 02:09 PM
You're going to need to define Divinities before we can judge appropriately; They're not spells, so got a list of 'em?

In any case, far as I can tell, this is almost literally the Shadowcaster with the nouns switched, basically. So...anyone's opinions of the Shadowcaster apply here.

Xaotiq1
2013-07-10, 02:26 PM
Divinities: You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called divinities; which are taken from the Cleric spell list. You know one divinity at 1st level and gain one additional divinity every class level. Up to 6th level, you can learn only homilies. At 7th level, you gain access to blessings, and at 13th level you become able to use miracles. You can choose your new divinity from any category you have access to (including orisons). For instance, at 8th level, you could select either a orison, a homily, or a blessing.

I've made the update.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 03:39 PM
...Then why not just say they cast spells from the Cleric spell list? Why bother making 'divinities' a separate thing?

Xaotiq1
2013-07-10, 04:16 PM
Why did Gygax and Arneson choose vancian casting? Why are the books the size and typeset that they are? /sarcasm
For the most part it tones down the power level a bit more in favor of a Tier 3 class instead of CoDzilla. Also, at least for me, it gives a bit more flavor the divine caster.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 05:15 PM
You don't need to take a sarcastic tone with me. I ask because it effects how your class can be used. A bit part of why the Shadowcaster is treated as underpowered is because it's Mysteries don't count as spells for things like prerequisite qualifications for prestige classes, items, feats...

A_Man
2013-07-10, 05:25 PM
Sustained by Faith (Ex): At 5th level your faith in your deity or cause allows you to absorb divine energies that mitigate certain biological needs. You need eat only a single meal per week to maintain health. At 10th level, you only need 1 hour of sleep per night (but you must still rest for 8 hours to regain your mysteries for the next day). At 1th level, you can immunity to non-magical diseases and poisons. Finally, at 20th level, you no longer need to breathe, and need never eat or sleep.

I think that you didn't mean 1st, but rather 15th (guess based on the rate the ability upgrades).

Xaotiq1
2013-07-10, 10:13 PM
I think that you didn't mean 1st, but rather 15th (guess based on the rate the ability upgrades).
Fixed.

You don't need to take a sarcastic tone with me. I ask because it effects how your class can be used. A bit part of why the Shadowcaster is treated as underpowered is because it's Mysteries don't count as spells for things like prerequisite qualifications for prestige classes, items, feats...

Ah, I see. Well, I tried, as I do with all the base classes I make, do my best to ensure a person doesn't want to prestige out. Though, according to how divinities work, the break points for being able to cast X level spells or divine spells are 1, 7, and 13.

But I see what you mean. We'll go on the assumption that as long as you cast any divinity as a spell, you'll qualify for PrC's, items, etc.

All right. Made a few wording changes. Any better?

Finally, I do apologize, AuraT. The second part of that post was to have been the meat of my reply.

Xerlith
2013-07-22, 03:53 PM
This... Is good. It's maybe a bit on the bland side in fluff (well, cleric is too. Maybe generic is a better word), but the crunch sits nicely. The power level got nerfed significantly, but probably it's still at tier 2 overall.
I have only two questions -
What about prestige classes? How do you qualify? DO you qualify? Does the change of spells to supernatural and spell-like abilities occur when you PrC out or is it a class feature (This can be taken both ways, since it's written in the divinities description but then shown on the table as class features).
And the second one is - Did you leave the domains out intentionally?

Xaotiq1
2013-07-22, 04:01 PM
This... Is good. It's maybe a bit on the bland side in fluff (well, cleric is too. Maybe generic is a better word), but the crunch sits nicely. The power level got nerfed significantly, but probably it's still at tier 2 overall.
I have only two questions -
What about prestige classes? How do you qualify? DO you qualify? Does the change of spells to supernatural and spell-like abilities occur when you PrC out or is it a class feature (This can be taken both ways, since it's written in the divinities description but then shown on the table as class features).
And the second one is - Did you leave the domains out intentionally?

Yeah, I left domains out of the picture. I have another class that uses domains, and only domains for spells: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272726

Added a bit under "Divinities" about PrC's. I'll more than likely reword the whole section soon, though.