PDA

View Full Version : <-<, help am an alcoholic that is suddenly immune to it.

CyberThread
2013-07-10, 06:53 PM
I need some rp help, I had a alcoholic druid, who just turned level 9 , which means am immune to all poisons now...

How should someone who drinks for the affect, be if they suddenly lose the ability to have the affect?

Malroth
2013-07-10, 07:16 PM
I think someone mentioned a spell that can remove poison immunity in Tippy's Monk vs the elder evils thread.

Edit: it was "Trait Removal" from Serpent Kingdoms, just get an equal level Sorcorer or wizard to cast it on you and voluntarily fail your save. As for getting the spell added to your druid list without loosing casting levels, that could be a decent challenge for an optimizer.

Snowbluff
2013-07-10, 07:38 PM
You'll go cold turkey in the worst way possible. You can not possibly relapse without losing the feature.

Wearing some metal armor might help you.

JusticeZero
2013-07-10, 07:41 PM
That, or you still drink because you like the flavor and the pub scene, you just don't get drunk anymore.

Darrin
2013-07-10, 07:42 PM
If your Druid is neutral evil, try ravages from BoED.

Kornaki
2013-07-10, 07:48 PM
You ask yourself if alcohol actually qualifies as a poison

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-190067.html

mattie_p
2013-07-10, 07:50 PM

Per Arms and Equipment Guide, some alcohol does.

Grinner
2013-07-10, 07:50 PM
Deal with your addiction? Become the world's greatest competitive drinker?

Sith_Happens
2013-07-10, 07:59 PM
Can't you just waive the immunity?

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-10, 07:59 PM
Other threads have posited that a creature can drop an immunity if it's willing. I don't remember the source of this being 100% convincing, but it had to do with elves being able to voluntarily drop their sleep immunity.

If anyone has a more authoritative bit of RAW about temporarily dropping immunities, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: Sith'd? Darth'd? Not sure of the verb here....:smalltongue:

Sith_Happens
2013-07-10, 08:05 PM
EDIT: Sith'd? Darth'd? Not sure of the verb here....:smalltongue:

Probably "Assassin'd."

Slipperychicken
2013-07-10, 08:11 PM
Just get someone to cast Remove Addiction (Cleric/Druid 2) on you. Or better yet, cast it on yourself, you lazy prick.

You could have cured your own addiction (painlessly and for free I might add) for 6 levels now. There's no excuse :smalltongue:

karkus
2013-07-10, 08:21 PM
"I'll bet you 1,000,000,000,000 gps that I can drink every last drop of alcohol in this pub without getting drunk."

Afterwards, drink some raw (is that the correct term here?) cooking alcohol for fun. :smallbiggrin:

Slipperychicken
2013-07-10, 08:51 PM
"I'll bet you 1,000,000,000,000 gps that I can drink every last drop of alcohol in this pub without getting drunk."

Afterwards, drink some raw (is that the correct term here?) cooking alcohol for fun. :smallbiggrin:

Anyone who takes that bet in the D&D universe deserves to lose it.

ericgrau
2013-07-10, 08:58 PM
I would roleplay your utter despair at your inability to even get buzzed.

Then come up with a custom spell to make magical alcohol that still works. There is precedent in magically infused drow poisons (Drow of the Underdark 94-95).

Crasical
2013-07-10, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the link! I didn't know about the Drink-and-Tell mead, which "Is technically an ingested poison" and pretty unambiguously should trigger Poison Healer without having to stuff snakes down my pants.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-10, 09:12 PM
I need some rp help, I had a alcoholic druid, who just turned level 9 , which means am immune to all poisons now...

How should someone who drinks for the affect, be if they suddenly lose the ability to have the affect?

RP help...hmmm... Personally, I actually find the idea of trying to roleplay an addict who is now immune to the source of his addiction a far more interesting challenge than trying to get the addiction back. Since the rest of the playground seems to be focused on another track, I will try to help answer the original question of how to act.

The first couple of ideas that come to mind are 1) psychological additiction and 2) something akin to phantom limb sensation or the placebo effect. So you might still be addicted psychologically to alcohol, even if the physical addiction is gone. You might also continue to experience the effects of alcohol even though there is no real effect on your body. It's kind of like failing a will save on an illusion. Continue to roleplay as an alcoholic, including drunken behavior, but you've just reached a point where you never seem to be able to get completely passed-out drunk anymore.

Another direction would be to replace the lost addiction with a new one (http://brainz.org/10-most-common-addictions/). A druid with a gambling addiction could be fun. Sooner or later you will want to go all-in on an unbeatable hand and will pull off your Monk's Belt and throw it in the pot...good luck explaining that one to the rest of the party! :smallredface:

Yet another option would be to be 'born again' and start your own holier-than-thou crusade to rid the world of that noxious toxin called alcohol! After all, you've experienced its evils first-hand and are more than qualified to judge those who push the stuff on unwary victims. :smallwink:

ericgrau
2013-07-10, 09:49 PM
Without custom spells or such I can think of one way to get rid of the immunity: falling. You could even atone afterwards. But it would be hard to be genuinely sorry enough to atone if you planned it.

Kornaki
2013-07-10, 09:51 PM
Another direction would be to replace the lost addiction with a new one (http://brainz.org/10-most-common-addictions/). A druid with a gambling addiction could be fun. Sooner or later you will want to go all-in on an unbeatable hand and will pull off your Monk's Belt and throw it in the pot...good luck explaining that one to the rest of the party! :smallredface:

Are you pulling off the item "Monk's Belt" which you own, or the belt of the monk who is in your party.

You could pull some sweet MitD style shenanigans (:mitd:: 2 gps) by betting your monk's belt, then handing over the 6 feet of rope that he had tied around his waist to keep his pants up

Scow2
2013-07-11, 12:00 AM
You're simply immune to the drawbacks of the beer. Drink all you want.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-11, 12:06 AM
You're simply immune to the drawbacks of the beer. Drink all you want.

Do "drawbacks" include perpetuating your alcoholism?

ArcturusV
2013-07-11, 12:15 AM
I'd think he'd probably go for the old standard of finding a replacement addiction. The classic standards still apply, sex, food, etc. I'd say "getting religion" but as a Druid that seems kinda weird to suggest.

But a replacement is probably where I'd go to for RPing purposes. You recognize a problem, but still need a Something to deal with... well whatever it is you were dealing with.

You could go to harder stuff, like doing Ambrosia or Agony. You could go for a softer addiction to replace it. Like suddenly be very much into getting a bit of a sugar rush off honey or maple candy. "You... awakened tree, give me delicious maple now so I may get properly buzzed so I can face the day!"