PDA

View Full Version : (PF) A witcher build

bobthehero
2013-07-10, 11:31 PM
Yup, simple as that, I want to play a Witcher type character in case my cavalier bites it, thinking about going ranger with a silver bastard sword and a standard one using the 2 handed style from the APG.

Favored enemy would probably be undeads and then either abberation or magical beast.

Also planning on taking Knowledge nature/arcana/religion a profession that's linked to hunting in general

Books are limited to Core, APG, Ultimate Combat/Magic

We start with 25 points for the ability score and use max hp

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-11, 12:52 AM
Why a bastard sword if you're going two-handed?

Use Mithril, not silver. In PF, Mithril counts as silver and does not have a damage penalty.
Haha, our avatars look like they're about to go at it.
Screw professions. Seriously a massive waste of skill points. You're an adventurer, you don't need a skill to waste time making money with, you make money by doing dangerous stuff and killing things. If anything, your "profession" is "tracker" and "naturalist/sage", based on your skills.

bobthehero
2013-07-12, 01:43 AM
In PF the bastard sword can be used with 2 hands without any feat, and I think it fits the sword type Geralt uses in the game.

Might go with mithril, if the funds allow it, as for the profession, its really just an RP stuff.

Anything about the classes themselves? Someone suggested the Inquisitor, but I prefer the Ranger.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-12, 02:33 AM
I have to admit I'm not very familiar with the character, or the game, but would like to try and help. Are there any details you can give me. I'm not even sure what alignment you think the character would be. Are you trying to play a witcher or geralt specifically?

NevinPL
2013-07-12, 05:21 AM
bobthehero, I did d do a search for "witcher+build+dnd" and found, among other builds, this:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ma3h?Recreating-the-Witcher-in-Pathfinder
So try Googling, Binging\what ever, maybe you'll find what you're looking for.

Why a bastard sword if you're going two-handed?
Probably because the movie\TV show adaptation of the book, had Witcher using +/- bastard sword, and even throwing it like a spear... Probably because of that, many people are trying to convince others that, bastard sword was the only sword in the whole Witcher's "universe", even if the books say otherwise.

As for build, I don't know about PF, but standard Hexblade from Complete Warrior, is probably closest thing to a Witcher DnD has. Maybe with a mix of Ranger for "monster hunter" flavor. Hell, Hexblade is where I started before making my homebrew Witcher class.

I'm not even sure what alignment you think the character would be.
IMO he should be LN.

Are you trying to play a witcher or geralt specifically?
Well, there' not much info about Witchers in general. Most of the time you need to "extrapolate" from Geralt, who was an "experimental" non-standard Witcher :)

Morty
2013-07-12, 05:24 AM
The important thing, and the biggest wrench in your attempt, is that the witchers' fighting style is based on speed, accuracy and reflexes, rather than strength. Which means you need some way to wield a two-handed sword with Dexterity.

Xerlith
2013-07-12, 05:41 AM
Elven Lightblade/Curveblade. Two-hander with Finesse.
Can you use homebrew/3.5 handbooks?

bobthehero
2013-07-12, 10:33 AM
No homebrew, only the books I've written fown in the OP are avaiable.

I'd rather play my own Wticher, but Geralt is the one I have the most informations about.

I was thinking of LN for alignement as well.

Norin
2013-07-12, 10:38 AM
Elven Lightblade/Curveblade. Two-hander with Finesse.
Can you use homebrew/3.5 handbooks?

courtblade maybe?

Drelua
2013-07-12, 10:50 AM
I'd definitely go with Inquisitor for this, maybe using the words of power variant from Ultimate Magic to reflect the very low number of signs in the game. The drop in base attack bonus really isn't a big deal, especially with the Justice Judgement, and you'll have nearly as many hit points. Maybe take a few levels of alchemist if you want so you can make some potions.

If you still want to go with Ranger, take the two-handed combat style and just go with a greatsword. They may be shown as being a lot bigger in Pathfinder than Geralt's swords, but realistically two-handed swords were rarely much bigger than what he has. Or, if you're concerned about being able to base you're fighting style off of Dexteity over strength, ask your DM about using a houserule of mine; two-handing a one-handed weapon makes it finessable. I've always hated how hard it is to use DEX for attack when holding a weapon in two hands, it makes absolutely no sense. Having two hands on the weapon makes it much easier to move quickly and accurately, but for some reason it's basically impossible without Exotic Weapon Proficiency. I wouldn't worry about that in this case though; Geralt fought with Strength as much as Dexterity, even if Dex made him more accurate.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-12, 10:59 AM
If we were to say that he is an inquisitor, and that he is Lawful Neutral, what Deities could he be.

*thinks*

LG Deities: Iomedae, Erastil

LN Deities: Abadar, Irori

N Deities: Gozreh, Nethys

LE Deities: Asmodeus, Zon-Kuthon

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but I'm not sure any of those deities are especially appropriate for the character. This may be something you want to talk to your DM about. Maybe use the inquisitions rules, and draw your powers not from a deity but from your devotion to that order?

bobthehero
2013-07-12, 11:00 AM
If anything, I can wing it and pretend he fights with the heavy style all the time :P