PDA

View Full Version : Druid Gear

geekintheground
2013-07-10, 11:39 PM
What is some generally good druid gear? i cant really find anything for the head face or hand slots.

eggynack
2013-07-10, 11:54 PM
What's your money having status/current item possession? A lot of the time, especially own a druid, you don't even necessarily want to fill all of your slots equally. Wilding clasps are costed per item, so it's often better to just fit a bunch of stuff on one item. That's especially true if you can slot common item effects onto one item, because then there's no premium at all. In any case, I can't think of too many druid specific items for those slots, so you're mostly looking at generic stuff that you're not currently covering.

DR27
2013-07-10, 11:56 PM
What is some generally good druid gear? i cant really find anything for the head face or hand slots.
Does it really matter? Aren't druids pretty self-sufficient once natural spell is taken? Although, if you really just want all slots filled, repelling gauntlets keep people from charging you while you are in humanoid form, but that's a generic caster thing. Not sure about the face.

geekintheground
2013-07-11, 12:02 AM
we're doing a 24th lvl 1 shot, so we have 1800000 gold to play with. so far i have:

Neck: Necklace of Natural Weapons- 600 (havent quite decided what to pick. the force property is for sure, as is screaming)
Shoulders: Mantle of the Beast- 18000
Body: Armor of the Beast- 26175
Torso: Vestment of Verminshape- 20000
Arms: Bracers of Lightning (armor +5)- 48500
Waist: Monk's Belt (battle and healing)- 32125
Ring 1: Ring of the Beast (of protection +5)- 83000
Ring 2: Stormfire Ring (universal energy resist 30)- 274000
Feet: Cloudwalker Anklets- 50000

the stuff in parentheses is stuff i added. (i know the necklace isnt optimal, but it seems like itll be fun).
edit: added prices

eggynack
2013-07-11, 12:10 AM
Well, it doesn't look like you have ability score enhancers, though it's entirely possible that you do, and forgot. They're often assumed, to some extent. after that, you should probably fill out your list with stuff from the lists of necessary magic items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). You probably have a lot of your bases covered with magic, but you also likely don't have some bases covered with magic. The traditional wild shape form at your level tends to be dire tortoise, so you might not be engaging in melee much. Come to think of it dire tortoises don't fly, so it might be worthwhile to pick up a flight item by your level. You can obviously pull flight without it, and at a swift action too, but dire tortoises are more than worth the trade off. If you don't currently have a pile of golden desert honey, you should probably buy all of that.

@ DR27: Wilding clasps are a thing, and make magic items good in all forms.

DR27
2013-07-11, 12:15 AM
@ DR27: Wilding clasps are a thing, and make magic items good in all forms.
I know, I poorly phrased my comment - I was just pointing out that between spells and the benefits of your wild shape, there aren't a ton of magic items that you will be activating in those slots. At lvl 24, they better be passive since spells will probably be taking up the majority of your actions.

eggynack
2013-07-11, 12:21 AM
I know, I poorly phrased my comment - I was just pointing out that between spells and the benefits of your wild shape, there aren't a ton of magic items that you will be activating in those slots. At lvl 24, they better be passive since spells will probably be taking up the majority of your actions.
True enough. Still, you can pull some good things with items, even on a druid. Lots of stuff on the lists of necessary magic items are difficult for a druid to provide for himself. Level 24 is neat, because hours/level spells literally last all day, but the goal is generally to augment things you are doing, rather than adding whole plans. For example, that list was missing the ring of mighty summons, and didn't have any metamagic rods. Those things are pretty neat.

geekintheground
2013-07-11, 01:00 AM
thanks guys, thats exactly what i needed!

Tvtyrant
2013-07-11, 01:03 AM
Ioun Stones. They float endlessly around your head, which looks really cool in bird form and they can get you boosts to your CL.

Darrin
2013-07-11, 07:54 AM
From a recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15494142):

Head:

Headband of Conscious Effort (2000 GP, MIC). 1/day make a Concentration check instead of a Fort save.

Scout's Headband (3400 GP, MIC). 1/day, see invisibility for 10 minutes or true seeing for 1 minute.

Face:

Pearl of Speech (600 GP, MIC). This may allow you to speak, activate magic items, and provide verbal components for spells, but ask your DM about it first. You will still need Natural Spell to take care of somatic gestures. Even if you don't spend much time in wildshape, several low-level druid spells allow you to change into an animal form: aspect of the wolf (Spell Compendium), aquatic escape (Complete Scoundrel), winged watcher (Complete Scoundrel).

Third Eye Clarity (3000 GP, MIC). 1/day negate confused, dazed, fascinated, or stunned.

Third Eye Surge (2100 GP, MIC). 3 charges, +2 insight bonus to Str/Dex based checks and all damage rolls for 1 round.

Throat:

Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp (800 GP, MIC). 1/day a large-sized flying mount, flanker, trapfinder, corridor-blocker, etc.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC). Swift action to move up to half your speed.

Enduring Amulet (1500 GP, MIC). Always-on endure elements, and up to 30 points of fire/cold resistance as an immediate action.

Shoulders:

Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC). Good "starter" cloak, and you can add a +1 resistance bonus for +1000 GP.

Arms:

Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC). 1/day negates an AoO, such as from spellcasting, ranged attack, throwing fistfulls of produce flame, etc.

Goodberry Bracelet (2000 GP, MIC). Feed the party, top off their HPs.

Hands:

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC). Light spell on command, and swap a prepared spell for magic missile 3/day.

Ring:

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC). Area effect, negates concealment (including invisibility), and does 25d6 electricity damage *no save*.

Ring of Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC). 4/day featherfall effect, or +2 deflection bonus as an immediate action.

Ring of the Beast (8000 GP, Complete Champion). Probably out of your price range right now, but definitely save up for this. Auto-heightens your SNAs.

Body:

Masterwork Dragonhide Breastplate (700 GP) or Masterwork Darkleaf Breastplate (2600, A&EG). Many will recommend the Wild property, but I actually prefer Beastskin (+2 enhancement, MIC), which gives you access to whatever other armor abilities/augment crystals you might have on it.

Torso:

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +5 competence bonus on all concentration checks, not just for spellcasting.

Waist:

Healing Belt (750 GP, MIC). Horrendously undercosted.

Stone Dragon Belt, Novice (3000 GP, Tome of Battle). Grab Mountain Hammer for all your DR/hardness/redecorating needs.

Feet:

Anklets of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC). Swift action 10' teleport 2/day, great way to get out of a grapple or give yourself room to cast a spell.

Held:

Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage). This is an optional material component that quickens your summoning spells to one standard action.

Pearl of Power (1000 GP, DMG). You never know when you'll need another endure elements, longstrider, etc.

Ehlonna's Seed Pouch (1400 GP, MIC). To access the relic power, you need to worship the correct deity and spend a feat on True Believer, but... 3/day you get wall of thorns, the treehugger version of solid fog, or a 7HD huge-sized trampling beatstick.

Summoner's Totem (3100 GP, MIC). Lets you buff your SNAs with a spell, up to 3rd level, as a swift action.

ShriekingDrake
2013-07-11, 08:10 AM
Much to the consternation of other party members, many druids, being as drawn to nature as they are, prefer adventuring in the buff, nekkid as jaybirds. That being said, Darrin, as usual, has hit his called shot.

Humble Master
2013-07-11, 08:16 AM
I would second Ioun Stones and Wisdom boosting items. Don't forget a item that grants Mind Blank.

druidicforest
2013-07-11, 11:14 AM
Darrin: I see you have nice list for Druid and on the other theard for Rogue. Do you have others, I would like to see. Maybe you could collect that information of yours?

Spuddles
2013-07-11, 11:47 AM
A couple rods of (lesser, greater) extend are pretty handy for buffs that last 10min/lvl. A rod of extend on owl's insight (SpC) gets you +1/2 CL insight bonus to wisdom for 2 hours. That's long enough to cast, prep spells, then use up the bonus spell slots from a high wisdom score casting buffs that will last all day. You may as well prep a couple owl's insight so you can keep your wisdom up because monk's belt.

A bead of karma gives you 10 min of +4 to your caster level 1/day. Great for setting up those buffs in the AM. With your wealth I would buy a few of them.

Your wisdom should look something like this:
18 (base) + 5 (tomes) +6 (enhancement bonus) +6 (levels) +3 (age) + 14 (owl's insight) for a total of 52 wis.

Darrin
2013-07-11, 02:35 PM
Darrin: I see you have nice list for Druid and on the other theard for Rogue. Do you have others, I would like to see. Maybe you could collect that information of yours?

Not yet. (There may some duplication between the Druid and Rogue lists... mostly it's me going through the MIC looking for really cheap stuff that doesn't suck.)

Shax's Indispensible Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) is the "general equipment" handbook I put together. It was deliberately designed to not be specific to any particular class, but I like to think that rangers, rogues, and bards might get the most out of it, as they tend to have enough skill points to put ranks into oddball stuff like Appraisal, Craft: Painting, Forgery, and so on. The Upgrades section for Type II/III/IV haversacks suggest a lot of cheap high-impact magic items, but again, not for any specific class.

Koury's Fill That Slot! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149464) thread might be a better place to go, although I'd like to see the lower price ranges (<2K) filled out a little more.