PDA

View Full Version : MBA for Beast Form Druids

shamgar001
2013-07-10, 11:49 PM
In a game that I'm running, we've just started our first encounter and my druid went to charge, only for me to realize that, to my knowledge, there is no MBA for beast form to end his charge with. I guess that since the MBA lacks the proper keyword, he can't do it, but that seems silly to me. Would it be overpowering to homebrew and beast form MBA for him to use? I'm thinking it would be basically as if he did a real MBA with his staff.

Arkhosia
2013-07-11, 12:02 AM
In a game that I'm running, we've just started our first encounter and my druid went to charge, only for me to realize that, to my knowledge, there is no MBA for beast form to end his charge with. I guess that since the MBA lacks the proper keyword, he can't do it, but that seems silly to me. Would it be overpowering to homebrew and beast form MBA for him to use? I'm thinking it would be basically as if he did a real MBA with his staff.

It seems reasonable, but you should set up penalties for the MBA(now I'm imagining bears with basketballs...) according to the weapon type: a one handed gets -2 attack roll, off hand gets +1 to one hand attack roll(totaling to -1), versatile gets -1 to one handed attack roll(totaling to -3), and two hand gets -4 attack roll?
Maybe +1 to two and 1 handed if creature is a bipod or when it had free access to appendages able to grab items?

shamgar001
2013-07-11, 12:16 AM
It seems reasonable, but you should set up penalties for the MBA(now I'm imagining bears with basketballs...) according to the weapon type: a one handed gets -2 attack roll, off hand gets +1 to one hand attack roll(totaling to -1), versatile gets -1 to one handed attack roll(totaling to -3), and two hand gets -4 attack roll?
Maybe +1 to two and 1 handed if creature is a bipod or when it had free access to appendages able to grab items?

:smalleek:Where is all that from?

dariathalon
2013-07-11, 12:53 AM
Uh... There are plenty of MBAs for beast form druid. The at-will powers Grasping Claws and Savage Rend both have in their special line that the power counts as an MBA. And the at-will Pounce allows you to use it as an MBA under certain conditions (only for charging). I wouldn't be surprised if there were some more if you went into the encounter powers.

And I too have no idea what Arkhosia is talking about... Maybe trying to give them weapon attacks? If so, there is no reason to do so.

shamgar001
2013-07-11, 01:17 AM
Looking back at the druid powers...wow, epic brain fart for me. Everyone can ignore this thread now.

Arkhosia
2013-07-11, 02:43 AM
:smalleek:Where is all that from?

Nowhere. Just suggesting ideas.
I think the Brainfart may have transformed into a VTD: Virally Transmitted Disease, seeing as the phb2 is literally about 8 feet away from me. :smallredface:

Burley
2013-07-11, 05:50 AM

Well, even if it came down to there being no MBA beast form attacks, I would posit that your suggestion goes against 4e's general dislike of putting penalties on a player, especially when said penalties would make the Druid's defining class feature so pointless that the Druid would never see play.

I understand that you were shooting for realism, but, when you're a a wolfman changing into a boar, who cares about realism? :smalltongue:

Arkhosia
2013-07-11, 01:44 PM
Well, even if it came down to there being no MBA beast form attacks, I would posit that your suggestion goes against 4e's general dislike of putting penalties on a player, especially when said penalties would make the Druid's defining class feature so pointless that the Druid would never see play.

I understand that you were shooting for realism, but, when you're a a wolfman changing into a boar, who cares about realism? :smalltongue:

...Good point.