PDA

View Full Version : The party split themselves, now there's problems

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 12:23 AM
If you play in D&D campaign this thread is strickly off limits! Things are terrible (for you), and hilarious (for me) will be the end result of me finding out you read this. The content of this post is spoilered for my parties protection.

So in the session I ran last night, the party took a bad situation and made it slightly worse. They had all but finished clearing out a cave system of the cult that was using it as a base and the troglodytes that shared it with them. They came to a fork in the tunnel. On the right was the barracks of the cultists, on the left was the lair of the terrifying demon (homebrew creature) that kept the cultists in line (they didn't know which was which). The rogue/assassin decides to scout the left tunnel (since she is the only one with any stealth skills). She finds the door to the layer, and I made sure to lay on thick how awful and terrifying the aura coming from behind the door was. She reports back to the party, and while they are discussing options, the psion/uncarnate (wearing fullplate) decides he's going to scout it too. The move silently roll comes up negative, and the demon starts screaming all manner of profane and angry things, and begins opening the door. The psion realizing just how badly he's screwed the pooch turns incorporeal and fall into the floor. The demon starts running down the tunnel figuring some of the cultists are messing with him, and they need eaten. The psion waits until the demon is just out of sight and steals a large glass octahedron filled with glowing green energy, shoves it in his bag of holding and heads down the hall after the demon to help the party (since they are now about to be surprised by a demon charging them. The party is caught by surprise, the sorcerer is attacked and wings of covers the blow aimed at her. On her action she promptly teleports to the party's house in a city 300 miles away. The druid throws up a wall of stone, and urges the assassin (halfling) and necromancer (tibbit) to jump on her animal companion (a megaraptor). The other two thow themselves into the saddle, and the druid and animal companion sprint out of the cave, as the demon starts bashing in the wall. They make it outside in a few rounds and the druid teleport through plant's them just outside the home city. The psion just catches the party disappearing into a tree. Having need to escape (since he likely can't take the demon on his own), realizes that the closest thing he has to teleport is planeshift. He planeshifts to Bytopia and luckily finds a settlement of garl glittergold's petitioners (he got a 99 on the "see how I feel about where you end up" percentile roll). He locates a former high priest of glittergold and purchases a one way interplanar sending spell and tells the party he was captured by the demon, and the priest is so amused he covers his nights stay at the inn and buys him a beer. So now the psion spends the night in bytopia (he's low on PP), and the party tries to contact he via a scroll of sending, but since he's not on the plane it fails. One spellcraft roll later they determine he's either dead, off plane, or in a lead lined room, and none of those options seem good given he was "captured by a demon" (and none of them have any ranks in sense motive). So now feeling spurned the player of the psion is a little ticked. The party was investigating the tunnels trying to find the trapped guardian spirit of the Remare Wilds (a forest on the otherside of the continent). The psion's glass octahedron does contain a trapped guardian spirit, but it is the spirit of the Bharad Mountians (the cave is located in the foothills of that mountain range). My question is how forcefully should I nudge the party back together, if at all? And a second question: should I nudge the psion to break open the octahedron, which will release the spirit (and in his gratitude whe mountain spirit will cast wish for him) to make up for the screwing over, or leave it to chance (I could go as far as "accidentally" breaking the glass unintentionally, but that would seem a bit far fetched for a device designed to contain a powerful spirit)?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-07-11, 12:34 AM
My question is how forcefully should I nudge the party back together, if at all? And a second question: should I nudge the psion to break open the octahedron, which will release the spirit (and in his gratitude whe mountain spirit will cast wish for him) to make up for the screwing over, or leave it to chance (I could go as far as "accidentally" breaking the glass unintentionally, but that would seem a bit far fetched for a device designed to contain a powerful spirit)?

Okay... sounds like they got themselves into their own jam. Considering their high levels, as a GM, you really shouldn't have to nudge them to do anything. They should be investigating at their own leisure, and let this be a lesson for group cohesion instead of trusting their GM to clean up their own mess.

You know what these objects actually are, but they really don't. Half the fun will be watching them investigate it (and paying an NPC to use Analyze Dweomer- doubtful the Sorc picked it up- and maybe getting ratted out to the local paladins for demon paraphernalia)

Remember- they make the decisions. GM nudges are well and good when everyone is clueless... but they should be able to get back on track.

ArcturusV
2013-07-11, 12:36 AM
I second it. Honestly I wouldn't do anything to put them back together, or correct anything. "We shall hang together, or surely we shall hang apart".

At the very least, they can chalk it up to a life lesson.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 01:23 AM
Okay... sounds like they got themselves into their own jam. Considering their high levels, as a GM, you really shouldn't have to nudge them to do anything. They should be investigating at their own leisure, and let this be a lesson for group cohesion instead of trusting their GM to clean up their own mess.

You know what these objects actually are, but they really don't. Half the fun will be watching them investigate it (and paying an NPC to use Analyze Dweomer- doubtful the Sorc picked it up- and maybe getting ratted out to the local paladins for demon paraphernalia)

Remember- they make the decisions. GM nudges are well and good when everyone is clueless... but they should be able to get back on track.

As far as paladins go, the paladins in the area are a group they have made a temporary arrangement with: if the party destroys the horrifying evil they have unleashed upon the world (a watered down atropal), they will be banished from the plane instead of executed.

As far as nudges go, it's a habit from helping newbs remember that there are more than just damage and healing spells.

I second it. Honestly I wouldn't do anything to put them back together, or correct anything. "We shall hang together, or surely we shall hang apart".

At the very least, they can chalk it up to a life lesson.

If you are quoting ben franklin the it is "hang separately", but I absolutely take your meaning. Sounds good though, and let the psion be in a huff if he wants, the party is half evil anyway.