PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sorcerer PrCs

Thurbane
2013-07-11, 02:03 AM
Hey all,

Looking for ideas on how to PrC out of Sorcerer as early as possibly, without losing caster levels, and preferably without a heavy feat investment.

Eventual plan is 9 levels of Fiend Blooded, which already requires a 2 feat investment, so any PrC that gives Knowledge (the planes) is a bonus.

Also anything that expands or adds spells known would be great (taking a Bloodline feat, and spending most spare feats on Extra spell. I am aware of Sandshaper, but don't want to lose caster levels.

Cheers - T

Thurbane
2013-07-11, 02:19 AM
I could get into Ruathar after 4 levels of Sorcerer (using Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell), and it would get me Knowledge (the planes) - but again, would cost me two feats...

Juntao112
2013-07-11, 02:53 AM
Those aren't bad feats.

Thurbane
2013-07-11, 03:22 AM
Human Sorcerer 4/Ruathar 3/Fiend Blooded 2

H Heighten Spell
1 Versatile Spellcaster
3 Blood Calls to Blood
B Martial Weapon Proficiency (longsword)
6 Eschew Materials
9 (?)

...it does mean losing my Bloodline feat (and 9 bonus spells known), which I believe you have to take at 1st level. Unless I take flaws, which I really did not want to.

Gadora
2013-07-11, 03:33 AM
Human Sorcerer 4/Ruathar 3/Fiend Blooded 2

H Heighten Spell
1 Versatile Spellcaster
3 Blood Calls to Blood
6 Eschew Materials
9 (?)

...it does mean losing my Bloodline feat (and 9 bonus spells known), which I believe you have to take at 1st level. Unless I take flaws, which I really did not want to.

The Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium? Look at the last paragraph on page 88; it continues on, on the page after the giant feat tables, to say that they can be taken later. Also, look at the Special tags on each feat that talk about what happens if you already have learned the spells granted, if you take it after first level.

That said, getting bonus spells is more fun the earlier it happens. I'd personally want to start with the feat, if at all possible.

Khedrac
2013-07-11, 03:33 AM
Knowledge (the Planes) becomes a class skill from taking one of the Abyssal Heritor feats in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss.

Ardent Dilettante in the Planar Handbook requires level 5 (8 ranks in any one skill) and makes all skills class skills as well as giving 6 skill points/level, but its first level does not grant spellcasting (the others do). If you don't mind the casting level hit you could forget about Know. P until you hit 6th and take 2 levels of AD to gain 10 ranks in Know P and still put 2 ranks in Concentration and another skill. Level 4 of AD woudl b a pain as you probably won't qualify for it.

Thurbane
2013-07-11, 03:36 AM
The Bloodline feat from Dragon Compendium? Look at the last paragraph on page 88; it continues on, on the page after the giant feat tables, to say that they can be taken later. Also, look at the Special tags on each feat that talk about what happens if you already have learned the spells granted, if you take it after first level.

That said, getting bonus spells is more fun the earlier it happens. I'd personally want to start with the feat, if at all possible.
Good point...I'd kind of just assumed from the times I'd seen it discussed that it was a first-level only feat, but you make good sense. I can't see a reason not to grab it as my 9th level feat. :smallsmile:

So something like human Sorcerer 4/Ruathar 3/Fiend blooded 8/Abjurant Champion 5 might be a decent build. Since no other class advances familiar, I'd probably trade it in for an ACF. And I'd time the Fiend-blooded levels that grant a bonus spell to be at even levels where possible.

H Heighten Spell
1 Versatile Spellcaster
3 Blood Calls to Blood
6 Eschew Materials
9 Bloodline (X)
12 Combat Casting
15 Rapid Metamagic
18 Quicken Spell

Jack_Simth
2013-07-11, 03:58 AM
I've always been fond of Mage of the Arcane Order, myself, for Sorcerers, although it does take a noticeable feat investment.

Waker
2013-07-11, 07:17 AM
I've always been fond of Mage of the Arcane Order, myself, for Sorcerers, although it does take a noticeable feat investment.

I second this sentiment. It's an excellent class, though you need to waste an extra feat on Arcane Preparation and sadly the New Spell feature doesn't apply since you don't have a spellbook. The spellpool is the big draw though, as it grants you access to any number of spells that are useful but situational. As an added bonus, the class does have Knowledge (The Planes).
I also think the idea of playing a Neutral Malconvoker/Fiend-Blooded to be an amusing concept. Of course you can trick the fiends into thinking you are one of them, you've got the look!

Thurbane
2013-07-11, 07:25 AM
Just a question on the Fiend-Blooded "Fiendish Sorcery" ability - it says you can add any spell of the appropriate types to your spells known. Obviously this includes spells from other class lists from the Speak With Dead example - if you pick a spell that appears early on a list, do you get it at the spell level of whatever class you choose?

Waker
2013-07-11, 07:53 AM
I believe so, though I may be wrong.

Khedrac
2013-07-11, 08:10 AM
Just a question on the Fiend-Blooded "Fiendish Sorcery" ability - it says you can add any spell of the appropriate types to your spells known. Obviously this includes spells from other class lists from the Speak With Dead example - if you pick a spell that appears early on a list, do you get it at the spell level of whatever class you choose?
I think the general rule is that if it is a spell already on your class' list then you get it at your class' level for that spell. If it is not already on your class' list then you get it at the level you found it elsewhere.

Psyren
2013-07-11, 08:36 AM
An easy way to get into Fiendblooded is by taking Planar Sorcerer substitution levels. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040711b&page=1) Those levels have Know (Planes) as a class skill.

DarkEternal
2013-07-11, 08:37 AM
Malconvoker is my choice for a good sorcerer. You are a spontaneous caster, it advances spell casting and it fits the fluff(plus, planes is kind of your thing, so yeah knowledge about it is a class skill)

nedz
2013-07-11, 08:58 AM
Divine Oracle is an option, though it requires a useless feat and a means of Wrangling 8 ranks of Knowledge(Religion) which may cost you a feat or a dip — though Ruather opens this door.

It does give you Oracle Domain(1st), Evasion(2nd) and enhanced Divination (3rd). Along the way you can pick up Arcane Disciple fairly easily for yet more spells known — several times possibly.

Yogibear41
2013-07-11, 01:40 PM
I'd go with the abyssal heritor feats from fiendish codex I, as some one already mention one gives you know:planes as a class skill as well as bonus on it and spell craft I believe, you can also pick up feats that give you an increasing bonus to natural armor and DR/lawful based on the number of abyssal feats you have, perhaps you could even convince your DM to let them be a substituion for the blood calls to blood feat because they have the same fiendish heritage feel to them.

Are you allowed flaws?