PDA

View Full Version : Mythender: Kill the gods, take their stuff!

Doorhandle
2013-07-11, 05:51 AM
...there's more to it than that of course but that's the gist of it. (http://mythenderrpg.com/)

So, the rules have finally come out and it's 100% free. it seems to have slipped under the radar for the most part. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I think the would work best for a fairly short campaign, rather than just a one-shot (as the rules can be tricky to get one's head around)
or a long campaign (not enough variety... yet.)

I'm totally getting fourth-core flashbacks though. Never a bad thing: the setting fits almost perfectly.

Kilbourne
2013-07-12, 05:51 AM
I just listened to an Actual Play of this over on thewalkingeye.com, and I desperately want to play, either in the default Norse setting, or in a modern setting - closer to Gaiman's American Gods than WoD, however.

If anyone is setting up a PbP of this, I'm throwing in my hat.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-07-12, 08:59 AM
I've played a one-shot of this, and it was superb. I find that having a quick-reference of the Gifts helps immensely. And the rules come together pretty quick, even for beginners. Well--at the table, anyhow. The big key is to keep escalating the situation.

There's a few boundaries to a PbF game, naturally. That constant egging-the-Mythenders-on is much harder to achieve via forum (much easier in-person)...you can't really say "No, make it bigger!" like you can when it's in-person, and get a Mythender to up their description. And that's a big part of what makes the game epic.

Also, Ryan's not kidding when he says that rolling massive piles of dice is key to the game. That really is part of the fun, and the dice do pile up. Also, having physical dice is a lot more intuitive to track than writing down numbers. A lot less tedious.

But--if you can get the chance, the game is immensely fun. I'd recommend going to a craft store like Michael's, Joann's, or Hobby Lobby to pick up glass counters for Lightning and Might tokens, and then raiding your FLGS for oodles of dice. It's well worth the effort.

Also, I may have slammed Thor between the walls of the Earth's core, and ascended into godhood, Odin's bastard daughter who wanted to avoid ascending as much as possible.

I still have that character sheet.

ADDENDUM: Ryan has a totally awesome houserule (http://ryanmacklin.com/2013/06/mythender-advancement-rules/) about advancement--by permanently increasing your Fate, you can fuse a weapon into a double-typed weapon, just like a Myth has!