PDA

View Full Version : is the Dragonborn -(Scaled One)-?

relytdan
2013-07-11, 09:43 AM
Races of Dragon:
Dragonborn
Humanoid (dragonblood): Dragonborn are humanoids
with the dragonblood subtype

or would the type/subtype need to be (Lizardfolk, Dragon, Reptilian) ect?

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-11, 09:55 AM
From the Mechanics of Rebirth (RD 10) "You retain your original type and subtypes, gaining the dragonblood subtype."

So a human who becomes a dragonborn is Humanoid (human, dragonblood) while an orc who becomes dragonborn is Humanoid (orc, dragonblood). A Lizardfolk from the Monster Manual would be Humanoid (reptilian, dragonblood) and a Warforged would be Construct (living construct, dragonblood).

I don't have the entry for Scaled One in front of me, so am not sure what types and subtypes it has. But it would follow the same rules.

relytdan
2013-07-11, 10:17 AM
Dragonborn resemble humanoid dragons. They’re covered in scaly hide
I know that lizardfolk, kobolds, and dragons are scaled ones, just wondered on dragonborn with the above description even though it does not state reptilian or dragon ect as the type/subtype. guess the answer is template half-dragon - type becomes dragon.

ArqArturo
2013-07-11, 11:01 AM
I thought we were gonna discuss the mechanics of the Thu'um in D&D.

I picture Dragonborn as big kobolds. And that's it.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-11, 10:09 PM
Dragonborn resemble humanoid dragons. They’re covered in scaly hide
I know that lizardfolk, kobolds, and dragons are scaled ones, just wondered on dragonborn with the above description even though it does not state reptilian or dragon ect as the type/subtype. guess the answer is template half-dragon - type becomes dragon.

Actually, dragons aren't Scaled Ones. Serpent Kingdoms gives a list on page 5, and specifically excludes them. It also gives the following general categories:

Scalykind (includes Asabi, kobolds, troglodytes)
Lizards (includes hydras, lizards and dinosaurs :smallfurious:)
Serpent constructs
Serpents
Serpentfolk (includes yuan-ti, salamanders, and nagas)

Dragonborn don't fall into any of those categories thematically, and the fact that dragons don't count militates against dragonborn counting.