PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons!

DingusKhan
2013-07-11, 10:59 AM
Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone who plays D&D online over Skype or anything (not the MMO) would mind teaching me to play. I have never played before but my Dad used to. It fascinated me.

Thanks in advance.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-11, 12:24 PM
Well, where do you want to start?

The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) is a good place to begin reading. It contains all the basic rules and stuff, and is free online.

Have you considered a play by post game here on the forum? You play round by round through posting, and I could run a short game with you, if you like.

It works well, because you have as much time as needed to look through the rules as you want.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-12, 03:07 PM
It's better in person. I recommend you go to your Friendly Local Gaming Store or comic book store and ask them if they have open D&D nights that you can attend. You don't need to buy the rulebooks, all you'll need is a set of polyhedral dice (which you can get for about $10). You shouldn't have any problem finding a group that will be willing to accomodate a newbie.

Be aware that there are different editions of D&D. No point in buying books if you don't know what version you'll be playing.