PDA

View Full Version : Wyrmling Intelligence

Duboris
2013-07-11, 10:59 AM
So, short and sweet and to the point, I've got a wyrmling that moved in to a now-dead red dragon's cave. He's 4, has access to a Wand of Alarm, a Ring of Protection, and the advanced template from being just spiffy in the gene pool.

How smart is he?

Also what would his stats be? Because he might have to deal with 5 level 1s very shortly ;_;

Urpriest
2013-07-11, 11:05 AM
What type of Dragon?

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-11, 11:16 AM
Assuming a red dragon because of habitat.

His base int is 10, so he is as smart as an average human.

Now he is off the good end of the gene pool, so lets apply the elite array, so that boosts his int from 10 to up to 15, so he is smart.

In fact, lets give him stats. The base assumes the standard array, so lets apply some elite array and see what happens.

Str -17 - +0 =17
Dex -10 - +4 =14
Con -15 - +2 =17
Int -10 - +5 =15
Wis -11 - +3 =14
Cha -10 - -2 =8

He would apply the alarm spell intelligently and wisely, but he would use it only when he had a specific threat in mind because of limited charges, and probably apply mundane traps and tricks to avoid attackers, like sleeping in a small space up a wall, or trip lines and crossbow traps.

Duboris
2013-07-11, 02:42 PM
Oh ho, very nice. So it's perfectly reasonable to have an opening trap in his lair, so that's nice.

Gargigect happens to be a red dragon who robbed a dwarven smith of his rather exquisite forge and tools... and life. There's actually a skeleton at the opening of the tunnel to get down into it that happens to be the smith himself, but he's long-dead and long-eaten.

That said, the dungeon consists of 2 rooms. A room with a large pool of water that's low because of irrigation problems, and the actual forge itself, which has all the tools necessary (and more) to create all kinds of equipment at a +2 bonus, and that's assuming you don't use the magical tools inside to build things.

There's a nice gold horde in the corner with the wand he uses to cast Alarm (18 charges left, and frequently used to alert him of approaching dragon disciples from higher on the mountain.) as well as the protection ring, assuming he isn't wearing it or staring at it for prolonged periods of time.

The Alarm has already been set off by the players, so he's awake now, but still in the furnace. The top part of the room has had it's ventilation screwed up, so the upper 5 feet is nothing but smoke. He's not old enough to see through it yet, but the ventilation shaft, however, is through there. He's not above using it to escape if things turn sour. (He's already a wee bit injured from a previous encounter.)

While only 4 years old, the little guy is in possession of the tools of the Dwarf, who, through shenanigans, sent them for them. His soul is bound to a place called the nexus, and he'd really like to have them back. He's even paying.

The Wyrmling has had a recent disagreement with a dragon disciple, making sure to wound her before she fled through the use of it's traps that it had made. Unfortunately all of these traps in the room have already been triggered, and the PC's are on their way to him. They met said disciple, and inquired as to her injuries, and she merely informed them of the wyrmling.

Little do the PC's know that the Disciple was actually evil and was there on business, as the local tyrant red dragon taxes the nearby dragons of any age, and sends disciples accordingly. The wyrmling is merely 4 years old, but his surprising strength was a bit much for the wee initiate, especially since she was caught off guard.

So the situation on his end is: Injured, trapless, agitated, and there's 5 people that just came through his new home's front door.

I'm not sure what his exact statblock is, though, and if anyone could do that for me, that'd be great. The stats below seem rather swell for a mere 4 year old wyrmling, though. He would only have 1hd, right?

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-11, 02:49 PM
A wyrmling red dragon normaly has 7 HD, and is a serious fight for level one characters. In a straight up fight, expect them to lose unless they have protection from fire. Expect casualties even then. It is CR 4, then the elite array adds maybe another +1 CR, so it is really outside your player's survivable battle envelope.

Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#redDragon)

Consider using a very young white dragon and calling it a very young red wyrmling (give it fire breath and such) as that would be a much more appropriate encounter.

Drachasor
2013-07-11, 02:53 PM
"My armour is like tinfoil shields, my teeth are table knives, my claws forks, the shock of my tail is a whip, my wings a light breeze, and my breath discomfort!"

Addendum: Now the idea of "But wait for the dragon, and we're all gonna die!" popped into my head (to the tune of "Wait for the Wagon")

Scow2
2013-07-11, 03:00 PM
Do NOT apply the Elite Array to the dragon. It's intelligent enough even without it.

Duboris
2013-07-11, 03:13 PM
This is for Pathfinder, by the way. I probably should have mentioned that @_@