PDA

View Full Version : PrCs for Dragon Shaman?

ArqArturo
2013-07-11, 11:32 AM
So, for my one-shot, a player insist on going Dragon Shaman.

I warned him that the class is not good, the buffs kind of suck, and it's going to be difficult. Doesn't matter, he still wants to do it anyway.

He wants to be a tank, mostly. He's played a lot of spellcasters in the past, and he says it's been a while since he's been up in melee. He says he likes the idea of a draconic follower descending from the heavens in wings, breathing fire and just tearing up the place.

I'm thinking for that choice, a raptoran barbarian two-level dip and everything else of dragon shaman is a nice start. I'm thinking that also Frenzied berserker could potentially work. Note, this is for a 17 level game, and we're adapting 3rd-3.5 books for a Pathfinder game (most of my other players are revamping their favorite characters from 3rd-3.5, as I am, too, but as a villain), so what would be a batter idea?.

Lord Haart
2013-07-11, 11:37 AM
Crusader. Tell him it's a prestige.

nedz
2013-07-11, 11:52 AM
Show him DFA (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) — if it's just the Dragon thing he wants.

ArqArturo
2013-07-11, 01:16 PM
Yup, planning on showing him both the Adept and the Tome of Battle, since he's also a big fan of the kung fu movies, he might be interested in a swordsage/adept, or a similar combo.

Psyren
2013-07-11, 01:35 PM
Show him DFA (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) — if it's just the Dragon thing he wants.

This - there's even a Draconic Aura feat so he can get the only real class feature the DS has and put it on a much better one.

CyberThread
2013-07-11, 01:49 PM
yeah but is it really worth wasting a feat over ?

Not even sure the vigor aura is worth it, if your going to spend a feat, as well just dip into the class then.

thethird
2013-07-11, 01:50 PM
the feat in vigor aura is worth it if you are dragon blooded, since this way it will scale with level.

nedz
2013-07-11, 01:58 PM
There's also the Sorcerer feats Draconic Heritage + Draconic Breath.
Just build a Gish around these, with the Dragon Aura feat also, if you wish.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 06:08 PM
You could try dragon shaman/death delver. Death delver isn't really good with any class, so you may as well pair it with a class that isn't very good to start with.

CyberThread
2013-07-11, 06:30 PM
You could try dragon shaman/death delver. Death delver isn't really good with any class, so you may as well pair it with a class that isn't very good to start with.

Not a total truth, it does get spells, mostly defensive spells but it does get command/animate undead. An the ability ... mixed with a monk, is pretty much the most defensive thing you could ever build without tier 1 magic.

DragonLord PRC is another one that grows

nedz
2013-07-11, 07:18 PM

With that line of reasoning

Dragon Shaman 5 / Pious Templar 5 / Shin Blade of Heronimious 10

Which I'm sure I'm posting in the wrong thread.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 07:34 PM
Not a total truth, it does get spells, mostly defensive spells but it does get command/animate undead. An the ability ... mixed with a monk, is pretty much the most defensive thing you could ever build without tier 1 magic.

DragonLord PRC is another one that grows

With that line of reasoning

Dragon Shaman 5 / Pious Templar 5 / Shin Blade of Heronimious 10

Which I'm sure I'm posting in the wrong thread.

My suggestion was posted somewhat in jest, I just forgot to color it for sarcasm

Vaz
2013-07-11, 07:54 PM
This - there's even a Draconic Aura feat so he can get the only real class feature the DS has and put it on a much better one.

Being fair, said feat does not work with the DS's own aura's (depending on DM; the feat references othose in DrM).

Edit: @thethird; the Vigor aura is a Dragon Shaman only feat, unfortunately; however a DM may rule favourably.

Yogibear41
2013-07-11, 10:59 PM
Drakkensteed(dragon magic) lycanthrope, and allow the racial hit die to progress his breath weapon and auras. Also while we are in dream land drop the LA :smallsmile:

Alternatively phynxkin from the same book comes it at only 1 racial hit die.