Xuldarinar
2013-07-11, 12:46 PM
WILD CHALLENGER

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
Class Features: Knight's Challenge
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
Feats: Combat Casting
Spells or Spell-Like Abilities: Arcane caster level 1st.

Class Skills

Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+1|+0|+0|+2|knight's challenge, wild magic, Wild challenger's code|-
2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3|Ignore spell failure 10%|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|-|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th|+4|+1|+1|+4|Student of Chaos, Ignore spell failure 15%|-
5th|+5|+1|+1|+4|-|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
6th|+6|+2|+2|+5|Ignore spell failure 20%|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
7th|+7|+2|+2|+5|Chaotic Mind|-
8th|+8|+2|+2|+6|Ignore spell failure 25%|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
9th|+9|+3|+3|+6|-|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
10th|+10|+3|+3|+7|Reckless Dweomer, Ignore spell failure 30%|-

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wild challengers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each level, with exception to 1st and every three levels there after, a wild challenger gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which she belonged before adding the class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a wild challenger, she must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Knight's challenge: The wild challenger's class levels are added to their knight levels for the purposes of advancing knight's challenge.

Wild magic: A wild challenger casts spells differently from any other arcane spell caster. She reduces her caster level by 3 for all spells she casts from now on. However, every time she casts a spell, her use of wild magic adds 1d6 to her adjusted caster level.

Wild Challenger's Code: Upon entering the wild challenger class, your code of conduct relaxes. You are no longer required to maintain a lawful alignment to remain a knight. This, however, does not release you from the knight's code.

Ignore Spell Failure (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, a wild challenger can ignore a portion of arcane spell failure chance associated with using armor. This reduction starts at 10% and gradually increases to 30%, as shown on the class table. A wild challenger subtracts the given percentage value from their total spell failure chance, if any.

Student of Chaos (Ex): Whenever a wild challenger of 4th level or higher uses a magic item that offers a randomly determined effect, she can roll twice and choose between the two results. If a random roll is made only once to determine the nature or contents of a device, a wild challenger gains no special advantage.

Chaotic Mind (Su): When a wild challenger reaches 7th level, the power of chaos infuses her mind. She gains immunity to confusion and insanity spells and effects, and she is shielded by a continuous non detection effect.

Reckless Dweomer (Su): At 10th level, a wild challenger learns how to spontaneously convert her own spell energy into random, unpredictable results. As a standard action, she can eliminate a prepared spell or spell slot of at least 1st level to create an effect similar to that of activating a rod of wonder. The character's student of chaos ability applies when she uses her reckless dweomer ability.

Don't know if its any good, but it was an idea I had and just had to get out there. This is essentially mixing the knight class with the Wild mage prc. If anyone has any ideas for additions/changes/ect. then feel free to say so.

Palanan
2013-07-11, 01:04 PM
I really like the Wild Mage, so merging that with the knight is an interesting concept. I'd love to see the roleplaying this could generate.

:smalltongue:

vinihigino
2013-07-11, 01:09 PM
I could not help thinking of pokemon when I saw the title :smallbiggrin:

Then I thought the class would be some kind of barbarian used to fight for the leadership. It's not:smallfrown:

Xerlith
2013-07-12, 06:43 AM
This is an amazing 3 level dip.
The dead levels are a little too much.
There's literally no reason to take the 10th level, since it gives nothing worth mentioning.
It might use 6/10 casting.

Since it's a primary melee class, maybe give it a high Fortitude save?
Some kind of melee offense/defense steroid woult fit nicely also.

Also, a typo in "reckless dweomer", the description uses a "reckless dweller" name instead.

Xuldarinar
2013-07-12, 08:22 AM
This is an amazing 3 level dip.
The dead levels are a little too much.
There's literally no reason to take the 10th level, since it gives nothing worth mentioning.
It might use 6/10 casting.

Since it's a primary melee class, maybe give it a high Fortitude save?
Some kind of melee offense/defense steroid woult fit nicely also.

Also, a typo in "reckless dweomer", the description uses a "reckless dweller" name instead.

I agree in regards to the dead levels, and as for the casting the question is where to add the additional casting level. 10th level to promote taking 10th level?

The low fortitude save is very much a product of the melee class required for entry, having poor fort and ref saves but a good will save. It makes little sense for them to abruptly gain a good fort save when neither entry classes possesses one, right?

Though, now it boils down to what to include. What I think should be added is some sort of ability to add synergy between the class's components, but I'm unfortunately lost when it comes to that matter..

Xerlith
2013-07-12, 10:52 AM
Reckless Dweomer appears to be the "real" capstone of this class. Maybe move it to 10th if you have no better idea.
As such, i'd give it a Swiftblade progression (lose a caster level at 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th level), shift around the non-numerical abilities so that those best are gained while a caster level is lost. Lesser abilities can be gained at casting levels, but the caster level losses _should_ be a fair trade in abilities.

So at the least: Student of Chaos up to fourth. Chaotic mind up to 7th. Maybe in exchange let it be entered a level earlier... Or leave those as they are and instead give something more at the dead-er levels.
I really think the Swifblade and even more the Jade Phoenix Mage show a great way of balancing caster level losses wih gains. Look at how JPM manages the Maneuver gain, special abilities and the caster level gains/losses.

Xuldarinar
2013-07-12, 11:03 AM
Reckless Dweomer appears to be the "real" capstone of this class. Maybe move it to 10th if you have no better idea.
As such, i'd give it a Swiftblade progression (lose a caster level at 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th level), shift around the non-numerical abilities so that those best are gained while a caster level is lost. Lesser abilities can be gained at casting levels, but the caster level losses _should_ be a fair trade in abilities.

So at the least: Student of Chaos up to fourth. Chaotic mind up to 7th. Maybe in exchange let it be entered a level earlier... Or leave those as they are and instead give something more at the dead-er levels.
I really think the Swifblade and even more the Jade Phoenix Mage show a great way of balancing caster level losses wih gains. Look at how JPM manages the Maneuver gain, special abilities and the caster level gains/losses.

I've delayed reckless dweomer to 10th, as well as postponing student of chaos to 4th and chaotic mind to 7th to coincide with the lack of casting advancement. I've seen those classes but never payed much mind to them, perhaps I should pay more attention to them in the future.

Xerlith
2013-07-12, 11:09 AM
They are certainly good balance points while 'brewing. Some of homebrews here are a part of the rising power curve that the Wizards' last books for 3.5 brought to life. I'm thinking Complete Arcane and similar.

As about the Fort save - this can be probably resolved by saying that being exposed to the wild magic effects makes you more resillient - because you'd be dead by now if you couldn't withstand the effects of something blowing up in your face.

And this brings me to the dead levels' problem. Mettle at 5th, maybe? Some minor boni at 3rd and 9th and it's all well.

Then again, it's just my rambling.

EDIT: Since it has challenge in its name, maybe some kind of buffs to the Challenge ability would be in place. Something chaotic, I guess, seems to fit the flavor the best.

Also, it's a rule of thumb that straight casting in x armor ability is better than percentile reduction. But it's not really a big deal.

Is it intended that the class can be entered at 3rd level?