PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] A sack of sand... and pain!

Rolaran
2006-12-09, 02:26 AM
The warehouse door slid open. A pair of shady fellows stepped inside.
"See, just like I told ya. Ain't nothin nor nobody in here- save what we came for, of course."
"I dunno, this don't feel right. This guy has all this magic stuff, and he just leaves it behind some piled-up sacks, out in the open?"
"Listen, I saw it myself. A ring, a couple scrolls, a dozen wands, and all we gotta do is sort through these bags and take our findings to the pawnshop."
He moved toward some sandbags piled against a wall, and began to pull on one.
"Mmmph... that's odd... feels like these bags are stuck together or something. Come gimme a hand, and make yerself useful fer once."
He looked back at his companion. He saw him pressed against the wall, eyes bugged out in fear.
"What're you afraid of now? Look at you, they're burlap sacks. They don't bite."
He turned his eyes back to the pile, just in time to see a 20-pound sandbag fly toward him at chest level.

WHUMP!

The impact knocked him off his feet. He hit the ground hard, and was knocked out. His companion fled into the street, but not before seeing the sandbags collapse back into a haphazard pile - directly on top of his friend...

Sandbag Golem
Large Construct
HD 10d10+30 (85)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: -1
AC 20 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +12 natural); touch 8; flat-footed 20
BAB +8; Grp +17
Attack Slam +12 Melee
(2d10+6, 20/x2)
Full-Attack 2 Slams +12 Melee
(2d10+6, 20/x2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Crush, Throw Sandbag
Special Qualities Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft, immunity to magic, low-light vision, Sand Body
Saves Fort +3 Ref +2 Will +3
Abilities Str 22, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills -
Feats -
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or gang (2-4)
Challenge Rating 9
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement by HD (12 to 18 Large, 19 to 30 Huge)

A sandbag golem has a vaguely humanoid body made from a number of bags filled with sand. A sandbag golem wears no clothing, and cannot speak or make any noise. A sandbag golem walks with a slow, unsteady gait, and weighs about 500 pounds.

Immunity to Magic (Ex)
A sandbag golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function diferently against the creature, as noted below.

A Move Earth spell drives the golem back 120 feet.

A Transmute Rock to Mud spell transforms the golem's innards into a heavy silt. This slows the golem (as the Slow spell) for 1d6 rounds, but it also takes half damage from sand leakage during this time (see Sand Body).

Crush (Ex)
A sandbag golem can, as a standard action, collapse into a pile of sandbags the size of the golem, plus 5 feet in each direction. Anything in that area must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or take 2d10 damage and be buried under the sandbags. Buried characters must make a Strength or Escape Artist check (DC 20) to force their way out, and cannot move or otherwise act on a failed save; in addition, buried characters take 1 point of nonlethal damage per round. The golem can reform from this pile into its humanoid form as a full-round action.

Throw Sandbag (Ex)
A sandbag golem can, as part of an attack, detach the sandbag that serves as one of its "arms" and hurl it at an enemy. Treat this as a ranged attack with a 10 ft range increment (max 50 ft) and damage the same as a regular slam. However, the golem can only have up to two sandbags detached at any time. Also, the golem suffers from the lack of one or both of its arms. It loses 5 hp for each sandbag detached in this way, a golem with one sandbag detached can only make one slam attack once per round, and a golem with both sandbags detached cannot make any slam attacks (though it can still use the Crush special attack). The golem can reattach a sandbag within 5 ft as a standard action (though this provokes an attack of opportunity), and a golem that has collapsed using the Crush special attack automatically reattaches any sandbags in the area it covered when it reforms.

Sand Body (Ex)
A sandbag golem's body is permanently damaged only by removing sand from its body. For this reason, attacks do little damage themselves, but cause the golem to take damage slowly over a period of time as the sand leaks from its body. Slashing attacks deal half normal damage to a sandbag golem, and piercing attacks deal only one point of damage. However, both kinds of attacks cause a slow leak in the golem's body, and at the start of each of the next 1d6 rounds, it takes the same amount of damage it took again. Bludgeoning attacks deal no damage to the golem, and do not cause damage in subsequent rounds.

Construction

A sandbag golem must be put together from 1,000 pounds of sand or dry earth and 500 square feet of burlap, with 1,000 gp worth of charms and magical powders mixed into the sand. Creating the body requires a DC 15 Craft (Sewing) Check.

CL 10th; Craft Construct, animate objects, soften earth and stone, bull's strength, caster must be at least 10th level; Price 30,000 gp; Cost 16,000 gp + 1,200 XP.

Weezer
2006-12-09, 10:07 PM
Looks like just the thing for suprising a complacent party of PC's, who would expect the bags...
Nice idea

Neon Knight
2006-12-09, 11:03 PM
This is one of the most awesome Monster's ever. Nobody would expect a pile of sandbags to start smacking them around. I can think of tons of uses and places of ambush for this monstrosity.

Thank you. You've made a monster that will soon make a group of adventurers
never trust a sandbag again.

icke
2006-12-11, 10:10 AM
Can this thing throw part of its sandbags as a range attack? Proposition:

- 2d10+6 damage, like the slam
- 10ft range increment, maximum 50ft
- for each ranged slam, the golem looses 5hp, which can be recovered by reattaching the sandbag to the rest(move action?)

Rolaran
2006-12-11, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad to see I've added something new for adventurers to fear.

I liked the throw idea, so I added it. Also, I added the construction info.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-11, 08:48 PM
When you mention Crush, you say something about "five meters." DnD uses feet.

Rolaran
2006-12-11, 09:18 PM
When you mention Crush, you say something about "five meters." DnD uses feet.

Oops, I'll fix that.

icke
2006-12-12, 05:53 AM
Better now, five meters were a bit large...

XtheYeti
2006-12-12, 08:19 AM
great monster but constructs have con-, int- not con 0 int 0 if a creature/chr has a 0 for con they are dead and if they has 0 for int i think they cant perform any actions or somthing like that

Shacal
2006-12-12, 11:05 AM
Brilliant. They'll make golems out of just about anything these days....in fact, this gives me an idea for something devious. My compliments :smallsmile:

icke
2006-12-13, 10:07 AM
Rolaran, would You like to create a Treasure Chest Golem next? :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2006-12-13, 04:53 PM
How about a plush golem?

A large teddy bear lies innocuously in the corner of the room. You ignore it, and instead go for your prize: All the old wizard's research over the years lies compiled in the myriad books on the shelves. Smiling, you reach for one of the tomes, ready to acquire even the slightest modicum of the wizard's power. Suddenly, something very strong and very soft covers your face. Unable to see, you draw your knife and stab blindly at the assailant, only to have your knife plunged uselessly into a soft surface...