PDA

View Full Version : Happy Suikoden Day

oblivion6
2013-07-11, 02:58 PM
Well, it is now officially July 11th(and has been for many hours) in many parts of the world and I would feel terrible if I did not wish everyone a happy Suikoden Day. A global event celebrating the glory that is Suikoden. Anyone else enjoying the fun and festivities?

Terraoblivion
2013-07-11, 03:44 PM
Uh, not sure what festivities there could be. That said, I love Suikoden V and how generally awesome its writing is. I especially love how it provides one of the best fictive tacticians ever who is also a hot, gay woman who dresses incredibly stylishly. Really, biggest flaw the game had was the whole game part, which was way less interesting than the cutscenes.

oblivion6
2013-07-11, 04:00 PM
Uh, not sure what festivities there could be. That said, I love Suikoden V and how generally awesome its writing is. I especially love how it provides one of the best fictive tacticians ever who is also a hot, gay woman who dresses incredibly stylishly. Really, biggest flaw the game had was the whole game part, which was way less interesting than the cutscenes.

There is all sorts of contests(fanfics, cosplays, etc, etc) you can participate in. Plus its just a lot of fun to chat with other Suikoden fans. I don't have a link with me, but there is an open facebook group called Suikoden Day 2013.

Lucrettia, stylish? If you say so. I'm not a big fan of the Karyan sense of fashion I guess. :smalltongue: I also love V--actually my favorite out of them all. Hence my sig.

Tebryn
2013-07-11, 04:02 PM
Though 1, 2 and 3 were the best, 3 probably being the top spot for me really. Four was....so bad and 5...I played for a bit but just never ended up finishing it.

oblivion6
2013-07-11, 04:07 PM
Don't we have an agreement in place to not mention IV...? I think V is just my favorite because it is the first one I actually got into.

Terraoblivion
2013-07-11, 04:17 PM
She doesn't dress in a way I'd use for anything other than a costume in reality, but as a character in a fantasy world her elaborate, layered out in sort of a pseudo-Heian style mixed with Tang dynasty dresses and kimonos look amazing. I especially like how a lot of little touches went into her, such as one of the inner layers being of gauzy, transparent silk or how detailed her obi is. Also, the goose wing fan is an amusing little nod to the folkloric strategist of Asian traditions, Zhuge Liang.

But, yeah, Lucretia is awesome in more or less every way. Not that there aren't a host of other great characters in the game, like Miakis or most of the royal family, Lucretia is just my favorite.

oblivion6
2013-07-11, 04:39 PM
But, yeah, Lucretia is awesome in more or less every way. Not that there aren't a host of other great characters in the game, like Miakis or most of the royal family, Lucretia is just my favorite.

I would be loathe to pick favorites, but Miakis is pretty cool. She is like the ultimate troll.

Terraoblivion
2013-07-11, 04:48 PM
Yeah, while also being genuinely concerned for the people she cares about and quite professional about her job when the chips are down. That's part of why I like her so much, she's a pretty well-rounded character in general.

oblivion6
2013-07-11, 05:18 PM
Yeah, while also being genuinely concerned for the people she cares about and quite professional about her job when the chips are down. That's part of why I like her so much, she's a pretty well-rounded character in general.

Yep. The fact that she is so damn attractive goes without saying. :smalltongue:

danzibr
2013-07-12, 07:39 PM
Question to your Suikoden fans:

Does your clear game data carry over from every game to its sequel? I know from I to II you get to keep Tyr McDohl and a couple other stuff. How about II to III or III to IV or IV to V?

oblivion6
2013-07-12, 09:39 PM
Question to your Suikoden fans:

Does your clear game data carry over from every game to its sequel? I know from I to II you get to keep Tyr McDohl and a couple other stuff. How about II to III or III to IV or IV to V?

Tir McDohl....:smalltongue:

I do not believe the data from previous games carries over after II. I know there are "New Game +" options but, as far as I know, it only includes data from previous playthroughs of the same game.

danzibr
2013-07-12, 09:52 PM
Tir McDohl....:smalltongue:

I do not believe the data from previous games carries over after II. I know there are "New Game +" options but, as far as I know, it only includes data from previous playthroughs of the same game.
Dang, that crushes my hopes of playing them all in order. I played the original all the way through maybe 3 times (actually, I think exactly 3). I was really hoping I could just keep going with that save.

And lol at the Tyr misspelling. Too much D&D.

EDIT: I wonder how the other plots compare. I have a hard time thinking they could be as good as the first.

tyckspoon
2013-07-12, 10:08 PM
Dang, that crushes my hopes of playing them all in order. I played the original all the way through maybe 3 times (actually, I think exactly 3). I was really hoping I could just keep going with that save.

And lol at the Tyr misspelling. Too much D&D.

EDIT: I wonder how the other plots compare. I have a hard time thinking they could be as good as the first.

Suikoden III can use II's save data, but it doesn't do much; nowhere near as impactful as loading I's data into II. A couple of the returning characters have their starting levels changed, you get a couple of bonus items, and a bit of dialogue is different. If you're really committed to playing everything, Suikoden Tactics can also use a save from Suikoden IV to get a couple of extra characters.

Suiko II and III are both quite good, IMO; you won't be disappointed with them. IV is a bit of a drop, and Tactics is.. well, it's a tactics game, it's kind of a weird beast for a Suikoden. V is commonly considered very good as well, but I never got very far in it.

oblivion6
2013-07-12, 10:45 PM
They're all good(Though IV is a bit worse...) but II is widely considered to be the best of them all(Luca Blight!). I personally must say that title belongs to V, simply because i'm a fanboy of Frey and Falena as a whole.

I have yet to play Tactics, Card Stories or the Suikogaidens--though Suikogaiden is coming since it is now translated to English.

Philemonite
2013-07-13, 05:01 AM
Yay, a Suikoden thread.:smallbiggrin:
I'm a huge fan of Suikoden 3, I love that game. I also started playing Tactics again (I didn't get far last time) and I like it a lot. Elemental system adds a whole new level of strategy. Original Suikoden was good and S2 was awesome. I haven't played S5, I really should get it.

IronFist
2013-07-26, 01:43 PM
No love for Tierkreis?

oblivion6
2013-07-29, 08:15 PM
Not from me. I have never played it, though expectations are not high. It is an entirely different setting than the one I know and love, to my knowledge.

Hunter Noventa
2013-07-30, 08:22 AM
No love for Tierkreis?

That's not a Suikoden Game. It's an abomination.

That said, I'm a big fan of 2 and 5, which are both excellent games. it's a real shame there won't be anymore games, and we'll never find out the answers to all the mysteries that were left hanging.

oblivion6
2013-07-30, 11:39 AM
That's not a Suikoden Game. It's an abomination.

That said, I'm a big fan of 2 and 5, which are both excellent games. it's a real shame there won't be anymore games, and we'll never find out the answers to all the mysteries that were left hanging.

[Que Optimism]Well, hopefully the Suikoden Revival Movement can convince Konami to repent and continue the series. The numbers of that movement have grown exponentially over the past months; if we can show Konami that the Suikoden fanbase is still going strong(clearly it is if used copies of 2 sell for $1000....)they might change their minds.[/End Optimism]

Morbis Meh
2013-08-01, 12:54 PM
Luca Blight for Supreme OVERLORD! I also rather enjoy 5 it had the easily the best cast of female characters... Zerase looks down on all of you peons! I agree with Terra, Lucretia= Pure win, she is by far the best strategist in all of the games. In fact they should just give her the entire country period.

Eurus
2013-08-01, 02:02 PM
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Sialeeds and Arshtat. Lucretia was rad, though.

oblivion6
2013-08-01, 02:10 PM
Well, for all those who love Suikoden, I would suggest heading over to Facebook and liking the "Suikoden Revival Movement" and joining Operation Blinking Mirror if at all possible.

Philemonite
2013-08-03, 04:14 AM
No love for Tierkreis?

It's not bad, but it's not Suikoden. I didn't like the magic system, and party size was only 4.