PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Fire Adept//Dragon Shaman

Perseus
2013-07-11, 03:18 PM
So from another thread I got the idea of gestalting a Dragon Fire Adept and a Dragon Shaman making the Dragon Shaman Adept.

I highly doubt this would be game breaking but what are some implications of doing this?

I don't usually optimize so is there something I'm missing that could really put a hurting on group dynamics if the group is all tier 3?

thethird
2013-07-11, 03:22 PM
It is certainly not gamebreaking and it is fun.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 05:28 PM
There is some decent synergy, but even between the two classes there isn't enough power or versatility between them to get into rediculous territory (other than metabreath abuse, which I really can't condone). You're no wizard//factotum, but you'll do okay.

Chronos
2013-07-11, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure why I'm asking this, but just to be sure: The rest of the party is also gestalted, right?

OK, with that out of the way, you certainly won't be overpowered, but you very well might end up being underpowered. You'll basically never use your DS breath weapon, since your DFA breath weapon will be across-the-board better. That basically means you'll be a DFA with auras and a slightly better version of Lay on Hands. The auras you can pick up with a feat each anyway, and the healing isn't all that great, especially considering that there will probably be multiple other healers in the party anyway. You'd probably be better off combining DFA with something considerably more different than it: Sorcerer, for instance, would give you a much larger menu of occasional-use abilities, while still giving you mostly the same basic chassis.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure why I'm asking this, but just to be sure: The rest of the party is also gestalted, right?

OK, with that out of the way, you certainly won't be overpowered, but you very well might end up being underpowered. You'll basically never use your DS breath weapon, since your DFA breath weapon will be across-the-board better. That basically means you'll be a DFA with auras and a slightly better version of Lay on Hands. The auras you can pick up with a feat each anyway, and the healing isn't all that great, especially considering that there will probably be multiple other healers in the party anyway. You'd probably be better off combining DFA with something considerably more different than it: Sorcerer, for instance, would give you a much larger menu of occasional-use abilities, while still giving you mostly the same basic chassis.

The DS breath weapon + quicken breath isn't bad (I don't qualify that as abuse, just use), letting you get two breaths off in one turn when combined with DFA's. DS's is only really useful once per encounter anyway, so the cooldown increase isn't going to hurt. Aside from that, the aura that increases intimidate + free skillfocus(intimidate) + a fear invocation could be good if you are good with the fear stackig rules.

Kane0
2013-07-11, 07:05 PM
Might be a bad question, but is homebrew allowed? Theres plenty of 'brews that combine the Dragon Shaman and Dragonfire Adept (and often the Dragon Disciple) already.

Shameful plug (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15159964).

kreenlover
2013-07-11, 09:59 PM
I've often thought about it myself. It really doesn't break the game as is. Adding in Dragonborn, and meta-breath abuse does make it kinda OP. Or at least enough so to anger your DM/fellow players. Because Two Quickened Maximized Widened Enervating Chained Lingering... breath weapons from the dragonborn and DS, then a third from your DFA, and then another from your DFA each round for the rest of the combat will make them all not like you.

For flavour, I'd say go for it! It's fun, and you get to be 'that guy who is basically a dragon' which everyone secretly wants deep down inside.
You could mix it with another class to better affect, but you don't get the flavour.

Yogibear41
2013-07-11, 10:08 PM
Be sure to toss in either a Drakeensteed or a phynxkin lycanthrope for all your were dragon needs.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-11, 11:32 PM
Be a tibbit! Terrify the countryside with tales of the firebreathing cat! so many of my ideas start with "be a tibbit", and the funny part is that I hate cats IRL

nedz
2013-07-12, 06:14 AM
There's always DFA//Warlock, after all you never get enough invocations.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-12, 06:20 AM
I would go water orc Dragonborn DFA 20 // Dragon Shaman 1-3ish / totemist X so I can get all the draconic soulmelds and become a little dragon running around.