PDA

View Full Version : runescarred berserker still good?

CyberThread
2013-07-11, 04:08 PM
is runescarred berserker still considered a good prc choice for a barbarian, or is it considered that Champion of Gwynharwyf replaces it?

eggynack
2013-07-11, 04:52 PM
Champion definitely doesn't replace runescarred berserker at all. On the most basic level, runescarred berserker has a faster casting advancement that hits a higher level of power. Actually, that's probably it in its entirety. I haven't done a really in depth comparison, but the berserker's casting ability just looks better than the champion's does, so it's probably a better class. I checked the tier system for PrC's, and they're both listed as +2 or higher, so the berserker is definitely still good. At the very least, it's better than most barbarian prestige class options. Also, the list tops out on AMF, and that's always seemed really cool to me.

Psyren
2013-07-11, 04:53 PM
They both have their pros and cons. The RSB gets more powerful spells though (e.g. the aforementioned AMF) so it most certainly is not supplanted by CoG.

CyberThread
2013-07-11, 05:02 PM
Champion definitely doesn't replace runescarred berserker at all. On the most basic level, runescarred berserker has a faster casting advancement that hits a higher level of power. Actually, that's probably it in its entirety. I haven't done a really in depth comparison, but the berserker's casting ability just looks better than the champion's does, so it's probably a better class. I checked the tier system for PrC's, and they're both listed as +2 or higher, so the berserker is definitely still good. At the very least, it's better than most barbarian prestige class options. Also, the list tops out on AMF, and that's always seemed really cool to me.

AMF? adjusted modifer .. ????something??

Karnith
2013-07-11, 05:07 PM
AntiMagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm).

eggynack
2013-07-11, 05:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying/asking at this moment. Runescarred berserkers get antimagic field as a 5th level spell, which is frigging sweet when you're not using it as a full caster. There's obviously a ton of ways for a prepared wizard to get around that, but I don't think that diminishes the awesomeness factor. The rest of their spell list is pretty great as well, with gems at every level. The champion list looked a good amount less powerful, though I might be missing something. The +2 comment was in reference to the tier system for PrC's (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198.0). It measures how much tier based power a prestige class gives you on the basis of common entry classes. +2 or higher is the best, while -2 or lower is the worst. Both of these PrC's fall into the +2 category, so they're both very powerful. It's a less reliable system than the regular tier system, because common entry is an odd thing, and it's a difficult thing to quantify what +2 means when it's on a wizard, but in this case both common entry classes are the same, and they're being pushed upward from the low tiers, so both of these issues are avoided. I think that explanation was clear enough.