PDA

View Full Version : access to Invisibility / Greater Invisibility

Corinath
2013-07-11, 04:13 PM
Hey all!

Building a rogue. Stacking hide bonuses as high as I can for the build. (Already have Dark template + Whisper gnome)

What are some ways I could gain access to invisibility / Greater Invisibility?

Thanks! :)

Edit: Without adjusting my character template. I'm dipping in a lot of other classes already.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-07-11, 04:33 PM
The vanish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vanish) spell is first-level, you could pick it up with the Major Magic rogue talent. That's a standard action to cast and it lasts up to 5 rounds. If you go by the crafting guidelines, you could make a custom item like a cloak of vanishing that lets you invoke a CL 2 vanish as a standard action (but ask your GM).

You can also use the Ki Pool and Ninja Trick rogue talents to grab the ninja's Vanishing Trick. That's a swift action and it lasts one round per level (no cap). The number of ki points you get scales with your Wisdom modifier, and you can spend ki points to boost your move speed. This also lets you grab other useful ninja tricks like Shadow Clone, Slow Reactions, or Style Master.

Zanos
2013-07-11, 04:36 PM
A Vanisher Cloak(MIC 145) costs 2,500 gp and allows you to become invisible for 4 rounds for 1 charge. 3 charges/day. Fairly cheap solution.

nedz
2013-07-11, 04:40 PM
Ring of Invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#invisibility) — 20,000 gp

Spuddles
2013-07-11, 04:43 PM
There's a vestige that grants invisibility every 5 rounds. Higher binder levels give you improved invisibility.

The primordial giant template gives you invisibility at will (CL1, I think). You can apply that to any giant- half giant would be your best bet. In the back of complete psionic there's a half-giant racial class so you can pick up half-giant (sans just about everything save type) without LA.

lsfreak
2013-07-11, 05:00 PM
If one of your character dips is already monk 2, grab Invisible Fist ACF from Exemplars of Evil. Invisible 1/3 rounds as an immediate action (no reference to the spell, doesn't break on damage).

If one of your character dips is already warlock, take a look at the Darkness-related feats in Drow of the Underdark (which, despite the name, is neither setting-specific nor limited to drow). Not invisibility, but HiPS and Hide-check-boosting.

Also, keep in mind not all HiPS are created equally, and the one from Dark template is the worst of the lot. So if that's why you grabbed the template, consider other options as well.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-11, 05:11 PM
Also, keep in mind not all HiPS are created equally, and the one from Dark template is the worst of the lot. So if that's why you grabbed the template, consider other options as well.

which is worst depends on the group/campain/character

for a character/campain that never sees the light of day, dark HiPS is amazing and some of the other HiPS are useless/terrible

on topic: the shadow hand maneuver cloak of deception might fit your needs. from magic items or from level dip into swordsage or from feats, it can be acquired.

Corinath
2013-07-11, 05:29 PM
My reasons for invisibility are because I realized on our first session a few days ago that I'll be the unofficial scout. So, since this often means going off by one's self, I'll need to make sure I'm not spotted. So as many times as I can get prolonged invis casts, the better. (Even though at level 1 my hide is +24)

Enchanting a ring...is that at will and continuous? Or is it like the cloak?

If one of your character dips is already monk 2, grab Invisible Fist ACF from Exemplars of Evil. Invisible 1/3 rounds as an immediate action (no reference to the spell, doesn't break on damage).

If one of your character dips is already warlock, take a look at the Darkness-related feats in Drow of the Underdark (which, despite the name, is neither setting-specific nor limited to drow). Not invisibility, but HiPS and Hide-check-boosting.

No monk, alas. I took the template because we have buyoff, and I wanted to boost hide as much as I could for the following combat set up. (Also, having HiPS that doesn't alert people via a darkness spell is nice).

The build utilizes two things heavily. Sneak Attack dice. Iatjutsu Focus dice. I picked up Dragonfire Adept, Darkness SLAs, and two DotU darkness related feats that allow me to roll a hide check in magical darkness as a swift action. Then, to top that off, I'll be getting wraithstrike on my gnomish quick razor.

Swift = Full round next round.
Hide = enemy flat-footed.
Wraithstrike = melee touch attack.
(And possibly entangling sickening breath as a Dragonfire Adept)
dmgdmgdmgdmgdmg

But, scouting...didn't plan on that part. So I'm just looking for ways to boost it.

Classes I've dipped:
Dragonfire Adept (for Darkness and Draconic Knowledge), Swashbuckler (weapon finesse), Cloistered Cleric (for awesomness), Assassin (for SA + Unseen Seer Pre-req), Unseen Seer (for SA + DFA Drac Knowledge), Swordsage (for awesomeness).

So, right now I have 12 rogue levels, and 8 "other".

In the end, he's geared for damage, and not geared to take a lot of hits, really. So...since I'm scouting now...

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-11, 07:04 PM
If you want a ring of "i'm not here", you could custom make it.

normal invisibility is 2nd lvl spell (min cl to create of 3) duration min/lvl

on command would be 2*3*1800=10800
continuous would be 2*3*2000*2=24000

greater invisibility is 4th lvl spell (min cl of 7) duration round/lvl

on command would be 4*7*1800=50400
continuous would be 4*7*2000*4=224000

these prices are assuming at will, in appropriate slot (up to dm to decide if the ring is in slot or not), and that the dmg guidelines are used.

Spuddles
2013-07-11, 07:33 PM
I do believe the evolved undead template gives you improved invisibility 1/day at CL = HD.

It's LA+1 and can go on a necropolitan

Zanos
2013-07-11, 07:35 PM
I do believe the evolved undead template gives you improved invisibility 1/day at CL = HD.

It's LA+1 and can go on a necropolitan
The DM might make you roll randomly for that, however.

Corinath
2013-07-12, 12:37 AM
The only difference between normal and greater invisibility being that the greater version persists through attacks, correct?

ericgrau
2013-07-12, 12:40 AM
Ya. Which is nice for full attack sneak attacks. Especially on archers who can do it every round, often with multiple target choices.

Pixie (MM1) is steep at +4 LA but with all it gets, it's worth it on a rogue.

Gargravarr
2013-07-12, 01:34 AM
Wand of Greater Invisibility, 21000gp for 50 charges that last 7 rounds each.
If you're short on money ask your DM if you can buy one with less charges for a start, it's 420gp per charge. Alternatively boost wand caster level for longer durations...

Be wary that invisibility doesn't get the target flat-flooted, so no Iaijutsu, "only" SA.

Question, why do you need Draconic Knowledge for the Unseen Seer? Or is it just to boost Knowledge Devotion?

Also if you're melee and standing in magical darkness near a target make sure your teammates don't suffer the miss chance ;)