PDA

View Full Version : D&D Orcish Warpaint rule

johnswiftwood
2013-07-11, 04:57 PM
It's come to my attention that orcs are very similar to Celtic and Maori warriors in terms of culture,So I decided to create a rule to emphasize that

Orcish warpaint, intelligence must be lower than 15 to use, may be equipped up to 10 times,cannot reverse chosen effects, 25gp per body part .(head,arm,leg,ect)

+1 Morale boost, to hit, to damage, or to defense of your choice. (AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will.)

Ninja_Grand
2013-07-11, 05:10 PM
I like it. But seems a bit to much juice for so cheep.

Rainbownaga
2013-07-11, 05:14 PM
Get rid of the intelligence requirement- especially if you're going to compare it to real world cultures in the preceeding paragraph

johnswiftwood
2013-07-11, 05:42 PM
Get rid of the intelligence requirement- especially if you're going to compare it to real world cultures in the preceeding paragraph

Okay then,but that would throw it into overpowered territory,especially for something non magical

johnswiftwood
2013-07-11, 05:45 PM
I like it. But seems a bit to much juice for so cheep.

Well this is just how i run it,and it's only the average price.for before the game itself,if you wanna get it after the game starts be prepared to find a Good or Neutral orc tribe (which in my campaign are incredibly common) to join for a while

johnswiftwood
2013-07-11, 05:59 PM
Well this is just how i run it,and it's only the average price.for before the game itself,if you wanna get it after the game starts be prepared to find a Good or Neutral orc tribe (which in my campaign are incredibly common) to join for a while

Sorry about my grammar i haven't studied it since the 3rd grade

Debihuman
2013-07-11, 06:12 PM
Orcish warpaint can be non-magical, but it should only give a +1 Morale bonus to Intimidate checks and to hit but not to damage.

Debby

Shpadoinkle
2013-07-11, 06:13 PM
Things like these rituals, or things like symbols or totems or battle standards (flags,) should give circumstance bonuses. Yeah, somebody from outside the tribe could put on orcish war paint the same way they do, but if they're not really part of the tribe it doesn't inspire them the same way it does for these orcs.

johnswiftwood
2013-07-11, 07:01 PM
Orcish warpaint can be non-magical, but it should only give a +1 Morale bonus to Intimidate checks and to hit but not to damage.

Debb

the attack and defensive roll bonuses stem from the celts 'armor' which was blue paint believed to be able to deflect arrows

johnswiftwood
2013-07-11, 07:22 PM

Debb

sorry i didn't read your comment carefully, it's all one big placebo, these orcs are taught from birth that the paint enhances combat prowess, so therefore that must mean striking strength as well

Debihuman
2013-07-11, 10:24 PM
How does wearing paint make your hits harder? It can make you more imposing and threatening (hence the +1 to Intimidate and to hit) but it doesn't add to your damage per se.

There are some things that don't make sense unless they are magical in nature (such as items letting you hit things harder). but even magical paint is the wrong slot for that.

Debby

Just to Browse
2013-07-12, 02:17 AM
It does that because

it's all one big placebo

This is the big deal here. I think there is a place in the fantasy world for the idea that if you believe in something hard enough it becomes reality.

Instead of making war paint a consumable, I recommend making it a permanent magic item. Like you've got a magic tub of warpaint that refreshes once a day, so you can paint yourself every morning and get a small bonus to something. Then you could have +1 warpaint, +2 warpaint, etc.

My only problem is that the morale bonus would stack, so you'd need to have it take up... some other sort of benefit.

Debihuman
2013-07-12, 03:33 AM
Placebos don't work on somebody ELSE. If you take a placebo, it works on YOU so I can see you getting a +1 to hit but I fail to see how a placebo make it hurt someone else more.

So if you put on warpaint, does the guy that you're hitting get a chance to disbelieve the warpaint? If you've faced orcs with warpaint before and have a higher intelligence than the orc wearing the warpaint, why should the placebo work on you? It's not a magical effect after all.

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-12, 08:10 AM
Placebos don't work on somebody ELSE. If you take a placebo, it works on YOU so I can see you getting a +1 to hit but I fail to see how a placebo make it hurt someone else more.

So if you put on warpaint, does the guy that you're hitting get a chance to disbelieve the warpaint? If you've faced orcs with warpaint before and have a higher intelligence than the orc wearing the warpaint, why should the placebo work on you? It's not a magical effect after all.

Debby

it makes the user think they can hit harder

johnswiftwood
2013-07-12, 08:11 AM
it makes the user think they can hit harder

the paint that is

Kornaki
2013-07-12, 11:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength

If this is a thing in real life, it definitely makes sense that getting super pumped about combat gives you the ability to literally hit things harder.

It would probably be cleaner to just say that the warpaint gives you the ability to rage, or if you already have rage improves your rage in some way. That way you don't get caster classes cheesing it and you don't have to worry about stacking issues etc. I like the concept a lot, I might steal some version of it for my game

Debihuman
2013-07-12, 02:03 PM
1.The user thinks he hits harder but that doesn't mean the recipient thinks he hits harder.

As for hysterical strength makes a certain amount of sense.
"Hysterical strength can result in torn muscles and damaged joints. This, in addition to high lactic acid production, etc."

In better game terms means the warpaint would give you +1 morale bonus to Intimidate (for as long as the paint is worn) and you gain a temporary +1 circumstance bonus to attack and damage for 1d4 rounds but are fatigued for the same amount of time afterwards.

If you make it a circumstance bonus to attack, it can stack with other bonuses such as rage.

Debby

Rephath
2013-07-12, 11:14 PM
The placebo and nocebo effects are powerful, and if D&D is accurate to how medicine worked before, say, 1800, then that's all the heal skill is, doctors acting on unreliable information that greatly accelerates the healing process. Can you get stronger by the placebo effect? Absolutely. Can the placebo effect reduce damage you take? Yeah. Can the nocebo effect cause an enemy to lose more blood because he thinks something will hurt worse? Certainly.

The body responds to the mind, and it is capable of a lot of things that you have no conscious control over. If you disagree, go out right now and punch a tree as hard as you can. You can't do it. Your body will pull the punch and you won't hit at anywhere near your full potential.

Just to Browse
2013-07-13, 12:42 AM
Debby, the point of that link isn't that warpaint can be awkwardly modeled based on something in real life, it's that there is a precedent for people doing better when they believe they can. Thus it's believable for the user to get +1 to hit and damage with warpaint.

A flat bonus from warpaint is fine, but I also like the rage mechanic. Having a magic item force you to undergo fatigue for only a +1 to hit and damage on a weird battle-mediated timer is not something we should do.

Ashtagon
2013-07-13, 01:36 AM
Use one or more of the following ways to restrict the usage of the warpaint:

* It only works for those with orcish blood.
* It only works if you are wearing no armour.
* It only works if you worship one of a specific set of deities (eg. the orcish pantheon).

Don't tie it to having low Intelligence. That's just stupid.

Debihuman
2013-07-13, 02:51 AM
Debby, the point of that link isn't that warpaint can be awkwardly modeled based on something in real life, it's that there is a precedent for people doing better when they believe they can. Thus it's believable for the user to get +1 to hit and damage with warpaint.

A flat bonus from warpaint is fine, but I also like the rage mechanic. Having a magic item force you to undergo fatigue for only a +1 to hit and damage on a weird battle-mediated timer is not something we should do.

Then it should be a magical item and not a non-magical item. The problem is that the effects are magical nature. You don't suddenly gain extra strength to hit someone and do extra damage because you have paint on your face unless that is a magical effect.

Orcish Warpaint is a nifty idea, the problem then becomes how long does it take to apply and how long does it last?

If wearing the warpaint makes the recipient feel more powerful then the +1 morale boost to hit makes sense.

Conversely, how does the warpaint affect anyone else? Anyone looking at someone wearing the warpaint should take a -1 morale penalty to hit. Sadly, that was never an option.

What I fail to see is how non-magical warpaint allows you to do more damage.

Furthermore, a bonus to hit doesn't have to be accompanied with a bonus to damage. It sounds like the original post gave you a choice of which effect takes place:

The comma in the original post is misleading because it could mean "and" or it could mean "or." Since you only get one defensive choice, it seems you should only get one offensive choice as well.

You pick one of the following: "+1 Morale boost, to hit, to damage, or to defense of your choice. (AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will)."
It reads like a Chinese menus Pick 1 from Column A or Pick 1 from Column B.

While I can appreciate the diversity of the item, that +1 morale bonus has to be applied before going to battle (putting on during battle could be difficult). As a result, you have to decide which effect you want before you know which you'll need the most. In theory, I like the options, in practice, odds of making the wrong choice are 5 in 6. Those are pretty terrible odds.

Debby

Zombimode
2013-07-13, 04:34 AM
It's come to my attention that orcs are very similar to Celtic and Maori warriors in terms of culture,So I decided to create a rule to emphasize that

Orcish warpaint, intelligence must be lower than 15 to use, may be equipped up to 10 times,cannot reverse chosen effects, 25gp per body part .(head,arm,leg,ect)

+1 Morale boost, to hit, to damage, or to defense of your choice. (AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will.)

Just so you know: if your intention is that a single application will provide the bonus you detailed any further applications are wasted. Reason: morale bonuses don't stack.

Rolep
2013-07-13, 04:57 AM
Then it should be a magical item and not a non-magical item. The problem is that the effects are magical nature. You don't suddenly gain extra strength to hit someone and do extra damage because you have paint on your face unless that is a magical effect.

But the placebo effect is:
a) Real
b) NON-Magical

You truly believe that you will cause your foe a more grievous injury because you will hit harder, therefore you cause your foe a more grievous injury. Bonus to damage makes perfect sense, because damage is based on the attacker, not the target.

Debihuman
2013-07-13, 07:12 AM
"The placebo effect is the measurable, observable, or felt improvement in health or behavior not attributable to a medication or invasive treatment that has been administered." Getting a +1 morale check to hit someone or do them damage is neither "health" nor "behavior. " If it were health, you'd gain a hit point. If it were behavior, you would gain a bonus to a skill. However, this gives you a morale boon, which is not physical bonus.

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-13, 07:37 AM
Okay i've revised the rule a little

as per boost nothing has really changed but the morale boost is now a simple non magical boost

when the paint is found to be non magical the boosts disappear completely ,meaning you wasted time/money on them

however you can have a shaman bless the warpaint for various effects added on to the now magical base effects (ie +5 fire resistance,+1d4 fire damage on crit ect) also you can increase the warpaint's bonuses via blessing as well,for instance,you can increase your right arms +1 attack bonus to +3 should you go on a quest that the dm sees fit for your characters level compared to the enhancement

johnswiftwood
2013-07-13, 07:40 AM
Okay i've revised the rule a little

as per boost nothing has really changed but the morale boost is now a simple non magical boost

when the paint is found to be non magical the boosts disappear completely ,meaning you wasted time/money on them

however you can have a shaman bless the warpaint for various effects added on to the now magical base effects (ie +5 fire resistance,+1d4 fire damage on crit ect) also you can increase the warpaint's bonuses via blessing as well,for instance,you can increase your right arms +1 attack bonus to +3 should you go on a quest that the dm sees fit for your characters level compared to the enhancement

also you can still use light armor with this item,so long as you describe it as revealing the paint,for instance you can use leather straps and buckles or a leather vest,but not a full leather chest piece

Debihuman
2013-07-13, 07:58 AM
How about this:

Orcish Warpaint: Orcish warpaint comes in case containing six 1-ounce containers each with a different color. The containers hold enough for 3 applications of each color. It takes a full-round action to apply the war paint. When the warpaint is applied, the wearer gains a +1 morale bonus to one of the following: to hit, to damage, AC, to Fort saves, to Ref saves, and to Will saves. The bonus lasts until the warpaint is removed (a standard action) or until it comes in contact with a liquid, in which case the warpaint immediately runs off the wearer's face. It cannot be worn in the rain. Non-orcs, except half-orcs, orogs and those with orc bloodlines, gain no benefit from wearing the warpaint. Only one color at a time may be worn. Wearing more than one color negates the effects. The secret to making orcish warpaint is known only to orcs. Standard orcish warpaint costs 50 gp. However, an orc shaman may bless the warpaint and add magical enhancements at additional cost.

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-13, 07:58 AM
See my revisions. It's a full item now, non-magical and matches your first premise.

Making a magical item will cost a lot more. see my further revision.

Debby

yeah there was a problem with that,different tribes have different 'paint' some tribes use branding other use scarring,others use natural dyes witch permanently stain the painted on person,plus these 'paint' jobs must be done by a shaman

Debihuman
2013-07-13, 08:07 AM
yeah there was a problem with that,different tribes have different 'paint' some tribes use branding other use scarring,others use natural dyes witch permanently stain the painted on person,plus these 'paint' jobs must be done by a shaman

Now you're just adding crap to be difficult. Being tattooed or scarred is not what anyone (other than you) would call "warpaint". While different tribes might use different colors or paint different designs on their faces, it doesn't make sense than a orc couldn't apply his or her own warpaint. Are you suggesting that a shaman has to be present for the item to work? That's making it way too difficult. Who walks around with a personal shaman in tow?

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-13, 08:23 AM
Now you're just adding crap to be difficult. Being tattooed or scarred is not what anyone (other than you) would call "warpaint". While different tribes might use different colors or paint different designs on their faces, it doesn't make sense than a orc couldn't apply his or her own warpaint. Are you suggesting that a shaman has to be present for the item to work? That's making it way too difficult. Who walks around with a personal shaman in tow?

Debby

well this is just how i run the item though.my guys liked it so i thought i'd share it and a few people would help tweak it.and i make mistakes i left a few things out so yeah you're right on that one,but i'll try my best to explain

no a shaman doesn't have to be present for the war paint to work.only to paint the one using the item,secondly this item was meant to act as a flavor based armor,so no wash offs,also celts wore nothing but paint in the belief it would deflect arrows when it was nothing more than simple blue (or orange) paint

Debihuman
2013-07-13, 08:55 AM
well this is just how i run the item though.my guys liked it so i thought i'd share it and a few people would help tweak it.and i make mistakes i left a few things out so yeah you're right on that one,but i'll try my best to explain

no a shaman doesn't have to be present for the war paint to work.only to paint the one using the item,secondly this item was meant to act as a flavor based armor,so no wash offs,also celts wore nothing but paint in the belief it would deflect arrows when it was nothing more than simple blue (or orange) paint

Actually the Celts wore paint to intimidate their enemies (which why it is called "war paint"), while the Picts wore tattoos and supposedly woad. It's hardly likely that either of them held the belief that those would deflect arrows, unless they were all incredibly stupid. More likely, they believed those would scare their enemies.

Reasons for wearing war paint vary but here's a list from http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-american-culture/war-paint.htm

War paint - war paint to intimidate their enemies when going into battle or during warfare - this where the term "War Paint" was originally derived

Marks of Distinction and Honor: War Paint, Face and Body paint for certain tribes would indicate achievements and success

Camouflage - Paint was used as camouflage for both hunting and warfare enabling the wearer to blend into the environment and exercise the element of surprise

Ceremonies, Dances and Rituals: Specific colors and patterns were applied

Visual Messages: Victory, Mourning etc were indicated by the application of face and body paint

Mental Preparation: Medicine Men often chose certain markings for warriors and that powerful magic was passed on during the application of the war paint helping the warrior to believe himself invincible. Paint was used as an element in Spiritual Healing

Power and Magic: It was believed that the application of certain symbols and colors afforded the wearer with 'Magic' for power and protection by drawing on natural powers and combining these with the power of the warrior. Symbols included stripes, circles and triangles

Protection: Paint was commonly used to protected the skin from insects, the sun, the wind and the cold. Red ochre was in plentiful supply so this was the most common application, hence the term 'Redskins'

Decoration: War paint, Face paint and Body paint was applied as decoration, just as we use make-up today. Women of certain tribes also used face and body paints for decoration

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-13, 09:05 AM
Actually the Celts wore paint to intimidate their enemies (which why it is called "war paint"), while the Picts wore tattoos and supposedly woad. It's hardly likely that either of them held the belief that those would deflect arrows, unless they were all incredibly stupid. More likely, they believed those would scare their enemies.

Reasons for wearing war paint vary but here's a list from http://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/native-american-culture/war-paint.htm

War paint - war paint to intimidate their enemies when going into battle or during warfare - this where the term "War Paint" was originally derived

Marks of Distinction and Honor: War Paint, Face and Body paint for certain tribes would indicate achievements and success

Camouflage - Paint was used as camouflage for both hunting and warfare enabling the wearer to blend into the environment and exercise the element of surprise

Ceremonies, Dances and Rituals: Specific colors and patterns were applied

Visual Messages: Victory, Mourning etc were indicated by the application of face and body paint

Mental Preparation: Medicine Men often chose certain markings for warriors and that powerful magic was passed on during the application of the war paint helping the warrior to believe himself invincible. Paint was used as an element in Spiritual Healing

Power and Magic: It was believed that the application of certain symbols and colors afforded the wearer with 'Magic' for power and protection by drawing on natural powers and combining these with the power of the warrior. Symbols included stripes, circles and triangles

Protection: Paint was commonly used to protected the skin from insects, the sun, the wind and the cold. Red ochre was in plentiful supply so this was the most common application, hence the term 'Redskins'

Decoration: War paint, Face paint and Body paint was applied as decoration, just as we use make-up today. Women of certain tribes also used face and body paints for decoration

Debby

this warpaint is used for the 6th and seventh reasons,however the paint itself is non magical giving mental boosts rather then magical ones.however the paint can be enchanted as my revised version of the rule said.also this is D&D we can afford some separation from reality

Just to Browse
2013-07-13, 11:48 AM
Debby, you seem to be trying very hard to undermine this work by cherry picking facts and quotes that suit you, and it's really a drag on the thread. Let's just go over some things:

Warpaint that makes you hit harder is awesome and supported by both fantasy tropes and real life.

Small, limited morale bonuses are balanced enough.

Scarring and permanent ink sounds awesome.

Rules for application and duration are missing.

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 08:57 AM
I beg to differ: the assumption was the base item was a good idea and I did not agree. That's not undermining, that's pointing out a flaw in the premise. It is perfectly okay to PEACH and both dislike something and think it is a bad idea.

That aside, I sucked it up (even though I think having to choose 1 in 6 is a bad idea).

I also explained that gaining three separate morale benefits for a non-magic item would be overpowered and treading on magical item territory as the original post wasn't clear whether you gained all 3 listed first and one of the following or if you gained one of the first and one of the following. Plus, we still haven't received clarification from the original poster on that.

That said, I still don't think warpaint should give a bonus to hit. It may not be a problem for you per se, but don't insult my sensibilities after I explained why it was a problem for me.

Since there wasn't any feedback and the original post hasn't changed, I reworked the item to include application, duration and other factors. Here it is again. Feedback is always welcome (even negative feedback). As you can see, despite my misgivings on this item, it does indeed give a bonus to hit.

Orcish Warpaint: Orcish warpaint comes in case containing six 1-ounce containers each with a different color. The containers hold enough for 3 applications of each color. It takes a full-round action to apply the war paint. When the warpaint is applied, the wearer gains a +1 morale bonus to one of the following: to hit, to damage, to AC, to Fort saves, to Ref saves, and to Will saves (each benefit corresponds to a color of the paint). The bonus lasts until the warpaint is removed (a standard action) or until it comes in contact with a liquid, in which case the warpaint immediately runs off the wearer's face. It cannot be worn in the rain. Non-orcs, except half-orcs, orogs and those with orc bloodlines, gain no benefit from wearing the warpaint. Only one color at a time may be worn. Wearing more than one color negates the effects. The secret to making orcish warpaint is known only to orcs. Standard orcish warpaint costs 50 gp. However, an orc shaman may bless the warpaint and add magical enhancements at additional cost.

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-14, 09:33 AM
I beg to differ: the assumption was the base item was a good idea and I did not agree. That's not undermining, that's pointing out a flaw in the premise. It is perfectly okay to PEACH and both dislike something and think it is a bad idea.

That aside, I sucked it up (even though I think having to choose 1 in 6 is a bad idea).

I also explained that gaining three separate morale benefits for a non-magic item would be overpowered and treading on magical item territory as the original post wasn't clear whether you gained all 3 listed first and one of the following or if you gained one of the first and one of the following. Plus, we still haven't received clarification from the original poster on that.

That said, I still don't think warpaint should give a bonus to hit. It may not be a problem for you per se, but don't insult my sensibilities after I explained why it was a problem for me.

Since there wasn't any feedback and the original post hasn't changed, I reworked the item to include application, duration and other factors. Here it is again. Feedback is always welcome (even negative feedback). As you can see, despite my misgivings on this item, it does indeed give a bonus to hit.

Orcish Warpaint: Orcish warpaint comes in case containing six 1-ounce containers each with a different color. The containers hold enough for 3 applications of each color. It takes a full-round action to apply the war paint. When the warpaint is applied, the wearer gains a +1 morale bonus to one of the following: to hit, to damage, to AC, to Fort saves, to Ref saves, and to Will saves (each benefit corresponds to a color of the paint). The bonus lasts until the warpaint is removed (a standard action) or until it comes in contact with a liquid, in which case the warpaint immediately runs off the wearer's face. It cannot be worn in the rain. Non-orcs, except half-orcs, orogs and those with orc bloodlines, gain no benefit from wearing the warpaint. Only one color at a time may be worn. Wearing more than one color negates the effects. The secret to making orcish warpaint is known only to orcs. Standard orcish warpaint costs 50 gp. However, an orc shaman may bless the warpaint and add magical enhancements at additional cost.

Debby

i said myself you can choose one of the listed effects,plus what about the tribes who use branding,scarring and skin staining paint?

okay i'll make a third and final revision

Orcish warpaint 50 gp per body part (arm,torso,ect.)
upon application choose one of the fallowing, +1 to hit , +1 to damage , +1 to ac , +1 to fortitude , +1 to will , or +1 to reflex

anyone raised by tribal orcs may use the item , as they have been raised and taught as their adoptive parents have,

the paints are always permanent acting as an armor made effective only by the users mind, should they genuinely believe it will protect them they will be guarded

this item may be blessed for odd effects, ie. +1d4 fire damage upon critical hit, or to make the markings genuinely useful rather then a placebo, ie. +3 warpaint of ice protection[resist 15 to cold damage]

If one wishes to get warpaint after the beginning of the game,They must join a tribe of orcs and earn the paint through quests

the paint can be equipped twice per body part,adding up to twelve applications (both arms,both legs,torso,and head)

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 09:55 AM
We already have magical tattoos in game see Player's Guide to Faerūn .

As for ritual scarring, knock your socks off.

However, you can't gain multiple benefits from morale bonuses (only the highest bonus applies) and you can't gain multiple benefits that come from the same source. Stacking rules apply.

This item may be blessed for odd effects, ie. +1d4 fire damage upon critical hit, or to make the markings genuinely useful rather then a placebo, ie. +3 warpaint of ice protection[resist 15 to cold damage]

That's not what the bless spell does. You can't just add effects without a commensurate cost. In this case, the bless is needed to allow you to add enhancements. In that case, you still have to pay the magic item cost. It's not a weapon so it isn't +3 warpaint actually. It's war paint that gives you a +3 morale modifier instead of the standard +1 and Resistance 15 to Cold damage. That costs 9,000 gp for the +3 morale bonus and 20,000 gp for resistance 15 to cold, for a total of 29,000 gp.

the paint can be equipped twice per body part,adding up to twelve applications (both arms,both legs,torso,and head)

Nope, stacking rules forbid this. See above. Also, I don't see a lot of folks wanting to waste an item slot on a measly +1 morale bonus. It's going to cost

Wearing magical warpaint takes up the head slot. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody

You can't wear it on more than one slot. That also increases the cost dramatically.

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-14, 10:22 AM
We already have magical tattoos in game see Player's Guide to Faerūn .

As for ritual scarring, knock your socks off.

However, you can't gain multiple benefits from morale bonuses (only the highest bonus applies) and you can't gain multiple benefits that come from the same source. Stacking rules apply.

That's not what the bless spell does. You can't just add effects without a commensurate cost. In this case, the bless is needed to allwo you to add enhancements and in that case you have to pay the magic item cost. +3 warpaint of ice protection to resist 15 cold damage isn't cheap.

Nope, stacking rules forbid this. See above.

Debby

sorry i haven't played 3.5 in a while, forgot some of the rules,anyway, rather then morale,i now have them as an ignorance boost

the price for the added effects are pelts of rare and dangerous beasts that would go for 100's of gp on the black market that particular enhancement would be the pelt of a 'king rat' (home brew,a mighty pest at least 4 times the size of a human)

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 10:28 AM

Again, do the commas mean "and" or do they mean "or" +1 to morale to hit or to damage or to your choice of defense... or you do mean +1 Morale bonus to hit, and to damage or to your choice of defense...?

It isn't clear at all. Plus, it looks like you get +1 to hit and either +1 to damage or +1 to defense since you are missing a comma.

How long does the bonus last? How long does it take to apply? Non-magic items shouldn't have permanent effects.

Traditionally, warpaint is worn on the face but I agree it can be worn other places. You can't wear more than one due to stacking rules.

Debby

Yitzi
2013-07-14, 03:21 PM
Would an intimidate bonus as well make sense?

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 03:32 PM
That was my first thought but OP nixed it. If you see my warpaint above, I tried to incorporate the first post (which has been changed since then). I have no idea what he's trying to do now.

Debby

johnswiftwood
2013-07-14, 08:04 PM
That was my first thought but OP nixed it. If you see my warpaint above, I tried to incorporate the first post (which has been changed since then). I have no idea what he's trying to do now.

Debby

i'm not here to please anyone,which i have been trying to do,now from the last revision rather than morale it's simply a belief boost a home brew benefit type which can be stacked

Debihuman
2013-07-14, 10:10 PM
i'm not here to please anyone,which i have been trying to do,now from the last revision rather than morale it's simply a belief boost a home brew benefit type which can be stacked

I never suggested you were trying to please anyone other than yourself but it doesn't hurt to create something that others can use too. If you didn't want to have feedback or just wanted to keep it personal, then don't post it.

Bonuses from the same source don't stack. You only benefit from the highest bonus.

Debby

P.S. since you asked about ritual scarring, you might want to take a look at the Runescarred Prestige Class from Unapproachable East pages 31-32.

Lappy9001
2013-07-15, 02:15 AM
Admittedly, I only skimmed most of the thread, but the premise of belief fueling power seems to be moving into Waaagh! territory, which is certainly appropriate for those of green-skin blood.

Just a inspiration/suggestion to to the OP if you're unfamiliar: [WAAAGH! link (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Waaagh!#.UeOhCY3DmLw)]

johnswiftwood
2013-07-15, 06:41 AM
I never suggested you were trying to please anyone other than yourself but it doesn't hurt to create something that others can use too. If you didn't want to have feedback or just wanted to keep it personal, then don't post it.

Bonuses from the same source don't stack. You only benefit from the highest bonus.

Debby

P.S. since you asked about ritual scarring, you might want to take a look at the Runescarred Prestige Class from Unapproachable East pages 31-32.

i found a way around the stacking though, you see as the paint is applied it becomes part of the 'suit' which increases the original bonus,but does not stack with it