PDA

View Full Version : The Monster Q of Monster A's

Rubik
2013-07-11, 05:23 PM
I was curious; which are the best Metamorphosis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosis.htm) forms at 7 HD and below? What grants the best stats and abilities at the minimum ML for the power? Please include construct forms as well, given that it's really easy to nab a psicrystal to use it with.

So far, I know that hydras are quite excellent, given their Huge size and natural attack routine (7 bites as a standard action or AoO), as well as Str 19 and Con 20.

Animated objects are great for stealth (pretend to be a rug!), construct immunities, and general utility (as turning into a specific object should grant the utility of that object -- say, a lock, or a key, or a wagon).

Pixies and phantom fungi (funguses?) potentially grant Greater Invisibility with Assume Supernatural Ability or Metamorphic Transfer; the former grants 18 Dex and flight, and the latter has some situational immunties.

Assassin vines get plant immunities, Str 20, Con 16, constrict, improved grab, and potentially camouflage (despite being a special quality, as it's based entirely on the thing looking like a normal plant).

What I'm really looking for is a good list of immunities (especially of the construct type) and the highest Dex score I can manage. Such things really aren't prevalent in Core, and I'm not entirely familiar with non-Core monsters. Str scores and natural armor aren't particularly important to me; neither is size, for that matter.

[edit] Also, anything that can trample would also be appreciated.

What say you?

Mithril Leaf
2013-07-11, 10:28 PM
With a good Charisma and ASA or MT, you'll find it hard to beat the gloura. 20 Dexterity and you get Charisma to both AC and Saving Throws, untyped of course.

Rubik
2013-07-11, 10:32 PM
With a good Charisma and ASA or MT, you'll find it hard to beat the gloura. 20 Dexterity and you get Charisma to both AC and Saving Throws, untyped of course.Sorry, he's a warforged monk. There's no way he's getting a Cha bonus above +1.

A decent form for what it is, though; I'll give you that.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-11, 11:42 PM
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking nimblewright, which I think is MM2...checking as I type.

Yeah.

Medium-sized construct with the appropriate traits, Dex 24, and some nice Ex combat abilities (which I think you get), Augmented Crit (remember to check the 3.5 update here, as I think it changed), and Tripping Thrust.

All in all it's a pretty sweet construct, one of the few reliably intelligent, independently operable ones out there. Even has SR and a couple spell-likes that make it quite versatile (including alter self, which seems quite...eh, way too cool):smallamused:.

Right, and, actually, looking at these "rapiers that are part of it's body and treated like natural weapons" my rules-exploit radar is pinging pretty loudly.

In short, definitely check out the nimblewright.

EDIT: And nimblewright has 10HD. Well, sorry about that.:smalleek: Maybe metamorphosis into a simulacra of a nimblewright? Wait, then you can't earn xp. Darn. Well, back to the drawing board.

Rubik
2013-07-12, 12:02 AM
Off the top of my head, I'm thinking nimblewright, which I think is MM2...checking as I type.

Yeah.

Medium-sized construct with the appropriate traits, Dex 24, and some nice Ex combat abilities (which I think you get), Augmented Crit (remember to check the 3.5 update here, as I think it changed), and Tripping Thrust.

All in all it's a pretty sweet construct, one of the few reliably intelligent, independently operable ones out there. Even has SR and a couple spell-likes that make it quite versatile (including alter self, which seems quite...eh, way too cool):smallamused:.

Right, and, actually, looking at these "rapiers that are part of it's body and treated like natural weapons" my rules-exploit radar is pinging pretty loudly.

In short, definitely check out the nimblewright.Yeah, that would've been perfect...

...except:

EDIT: And nimblewright has 10HD. Well, sorry about that.:smalleek: Maybe metamorphosis into a simulacra of a nimblewright? Wait, then you can't earn xp. Darn. Well, back to the drawing board.

Vaz
2013-07-12, 04:10 AM
With Metamorphic Transfer on a Construct, one of my favourite is the Umbral Spy (from the Forge of War). It's a Small Construct with 22 Dex, and the ability to bond with a Shadow of a target. With the Psychoactive Skin, you get to maintain the form forever. As the Uber Spy, combine it with a Projection Orb (again, Forge of War); this allows anyone watching to see what you see. And as you see what the target sees...

Another one is the Arcane Ballista from the Forge of War; you're a Self Loading Ballista who fires +3 Flaming Burst Arrows. Admittedly, you're only Dex 8, so Dex improving items are a must.

As an aside; Forge of War has the "Intercepting" property, which is pretty good for a lockdown fighter build with only a +1.