PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a character

Pattousai
2013-07-11, 05:40 PM
Hello everyone, I am making a character for one Iron kingdoms (d20) gestalt campaign and I am in need for a helping hand. The only rule is that you are only allowed one prestige class, and you can place it on one of your classes, while the other advances normaly.

I had one idea on my mind, and it was a pretty stupid (and somewhat funny) character. I was going for a fighter / archivist (from HoH) just to be able to make this scene many times during the game:

(Insert bad crocodile hunter accent)

"Hey, look ove there, that is a dragonspawn, one of the most dangerous magical beasts in the world. It can breath acid that can kill a man in seconds......... Im going to poke it with my stick"

I was considering using a quarterstaff as the "Stick". Most probably using the archivist spells as buffs and going for the frontline. For what I know, the DM is pretty cool when dealing with vetoing things. No tome of battle though.

I am open to any ideas, I have the intention of keeping the fluff as close as possible to the "crocodile hunter" idea, but actualy hurting a lot when I "poke" something with the stick, maybe the pounce/shock trooper combo.

And one of the main problems with this build is only having one prestige class at all. I got no idea what would be a good choice, since staying in fighter for so long might be boring.

Thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to help. I want to make it fun, but at least a decent character

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-11, 05:53 PM
Holt Warden could work on Archivist, and would be thematic as well. Knowledge Devotion on this character is a must.

Pattousai
2013-07-11, 06:09 PM
Does knowledge devotion stacks with the Archivist's Dark knowledge? It seems it is almost the same skill.

Actualy, a bit stronger

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-11, 06:15 PM
Does knowledge devotion stacks with the Archivist's Dark knowledge? It seems it is almost the same skill.

Actualy, a bit stronger

Dark Knowledge is an untyped bonus while Knowledge Devotion is an insight bonus, so they stack.

Pattousai
2013-07-11, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a starting plan. I was also considering going for picking the Eilservs School Style feat, from Drow of the underdark, page 56. So when using a full atack, there is a pretty good chance of getting a free spell, any thoughts about that?

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-11, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a starting plan. I was also considering going for picking the Eilservs School Style feat, from Drow of the underdark, page 56. So when using a full atack, there is a pretty good chance of getting a free spell, any thoughts about that?

The trick will be finding a staff with the right mix of spells you can cast on yourself spells you can cast on your opponent, since the feat allows either. For instance, a staff of Abjuration would not be a terrible choice, as you could use Dispel or Dismissal on your opponent, or you could use Shield, Resist Energy, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, or Repulsion on yourself.

Pattousai
2013-07-11, 06:53 PM
The trick will be finding a staff with the right mix of spells you can cast on yourself spells you can cast on your opponent, since the feat allows either. For instance, a staff of Abjuration would not be a terrible choice, as you could use Dispel or Dismissal on your opponent, or you could use Shield, Resist Energy, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, or Repulsion on yourself.

In this particular campaign, I think that a staff is even more powerful then a regular one. I don't know if you ever played a Iron Kingdoms campaign, but there is Mechanika, A hybrid between tech and magic that allows for almost obscene item customization. I could make my own staff with 2 or 3 diferent spells, and the ammount of charges would be way highter then a non-iron kingdoms version. With one extra of being able to recharge the charges with the proper tinkering. That is why im considering that feat in the first place.