PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Giant Slayer PC (PEACH)

Chells
2013-07-11, 06:18 PM
I was looking at the Goliath Liberator and the Gnome Giant-Slayer, but neither of the wowed me, so here is my stab at at a Gaint-Bane PC. The idea was to make something that was focused on Giants but not be useless any other time.
I think it's a bit more powerful that the two above since is gives spells levels so the size and tumble requirements make it harder to qualify for. The BAB req is an average of the two.

Let me know what you think, please.

Giant-Killer
Giant-Killers are experts at bring down the massive brutish giants.

Minimum Requirements
Racial: Large sized or Powerful Build
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Hide 5 ranks, Move Silently 5 ranks, Tumble 8 ranks
Class Feature: Favored Enemy (Giants)

Hit die: d8

Skill points: 6 + Int

Lvl | BAB | F | R | W | Special.................................Spells per Day
1st | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Favored Enemy (Giant)..........+1 level of ranger
2nd | +2 | +0 | +3 | +0 | Deflect Boulders...................+1 level of ranger
3rd | +3 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Getting In Close...................+1 level of ranger
4th | +4 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Taste of their Own Medicine...+1 level of ranger
5th | +5 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Too Many............................+1 level of ranger

Class Features
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex) and Use Rope (Dex).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Giant-Killers gain proficiency with martial weapons and with light and medium armor and shields (except tower shields).

Spells per Day: Starting at 1st level, and at each Giant-Killer level thereafter, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in the ranger class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved favored enemies and so on). If the character had no ranger levels before becoming a 1st- Giant-Killer, he gains the spellcasting ability of a 1st-level ranger— that is, no spellcasting ability—when he takes his first killer level. When he becomes a 4th-level killer, he gains spellcasting ability (as a 4th-level ranger) assuming his Wisdom score is high enough to grant him a bonus 1st-level spell.
A Giant-Killer’s caster level is one-half the sum of his ranger levels and his stalker levels.

Favored Enemy (Giant) (Ex): Due to their extensive study of giants and training in the proper techniques for combating such creatures, Giant-Killers gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against giants. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. These bonuses stack with those gained from the favored enemy (giants) class feature of other classes (such as ranger), but this ability does not increase those classes' other favored enemy bonuses.

Deflect Boulders (Ex): Giants Killers are skilled at diverting the massive rocks hurled by their nemeses. This ability functions the same as the Deflect Arrows feat (PHB page 93) with the exception that it only works on massive ranged weapons. The missile must do at least 2d6 worth of bludgeoning damage to qualify. It can serve as a prerequisite for other feats based on Deflect Arrow but those feats too will only apply to large blunt ranged attacks.

Getting In Close (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a giant-killer knows how to spin around the attacks of their oversized enemies. This ability allows the killer to make a tumble check to avoid attacks of opportunity from a large or larger-sized creature provoked by movement at full speed or as part of a charge without any penalty. Additionally, they can make these checks if their speed has been reduced due to Armor or Encumbrance. If the killer moves at a run, the standard penalty (-20) applies. If the tumble check succeeds by 10 or more, the Giant Killer can make a full attack against the creature whom he provoked the attack from as long as that is the only creature his movement provoked an attack from.

Taste of their own Medicine (Ex): Killers learn to use the giant’s signature attack them. At 4th level they gain the Rock Hurling feat (RoS, page 143).

Too Many (Sp): Nothing befuddles a big brawny brute more that a swarm of flickering foes. At 5th level a killer can cast Mirror Image, Greater (PHB2 page 120) a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier + 1.

Xerlith
2013-07-12, 06:01 AM
I have a rather minor nitpick regarding spellcasting - since it doesn't require any, let it have a fast-forwarded spell progression along the lines of Blackguard, but compressed to 5 levels. Something like...

1st level: 1 level spells
3rd level: 2nd level spells
4th level: 3rd level spells
5th level: 4th level spells.

The ranger spells are so weak it will have no real impact at the game.

If not, maybe at least make it so the PrC level is fully added to the caster level.

Also, while I like the flavor, it seems to me that it's more a barbarian-oriented class than a ranger one. Also, the abilities... Some of them seem too random. The capstone is a bit underwhelming, also.

It's definitely not too strong. In fact, I'm afraid it might be a little weak.

Debihuman
2013-07-12, 08:51 PM
Also, you might want to consider polishing this up and putting in a table. See here for the table making tutorial (also in stickied notable thread): http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677

You have "Class Feature: Favored Enemy (Giants)" under requirements but then they gain it at first level. Either they need to have it already or they gain it but pick one.

Debby