PDA

View Full Version : Did Redcloak Just Totally Luck Out?

eilandesq
2013-07-11, 08:15 PM
So, Team Evil shows up and literally two second later Girard's Gate goes up like a nuke--Xykon is likely to take it out on Redcloak for the earlier delays which without they would have had plenty of time to capture the Gate, right?

I say not--the fact that the detonation almost *precisely* matched the arrival of Team Evil will almost certainly cause Xykon to think that the legendarily paranoid Girard (remember, he's read Serini's diary and should have an even better idea of how crazy paranoid Girard was than the OotS does now) set the Gate to detonate as soon as a certain set of circumstances was met (say, an epic level caster approaching within 1000 feet of the Gate. If the detonation had taken place an hour earlier or an hour later, Redcloak would probably be in big trouble after the dust cleared. As is, Xykon will probably give an irritated sigh, express annoyance that there are no living enemies (or expendable minions) to take his irritation out on, and take them back to his Astral Fortress as soon as able to try to regroup quickly and go after the final Gate.

Sound plausible? :-)

Kornaki
2013-07-11, 08:23 PM
This is exactly what I think is going to happen

Demolator
2013-07-11, 08:24 PM
Well I hope what's in the spoiler that happens. I'd be pretty extremely amazingly heartbroken if Redcloak bit the dust anytime soon.

Grey Watcher
2013-07-11, 09:01 PM
It's a good scenario, but even if Xykon gets angry because he thinks the delay just cost them the Gate, there is still one more and Xykon does need Redcloak for the Ritual that he still thinks will give him control of the Snarl. So, assuming he survives the explosion itself, I think Redcloak's safe from anything more than a heaping shovelful of verbal abuse from Xykon.

Xelbiuj
2013-07-11, 09:47 PM
He'll kill him, realize his mistake, and that's how we'll learn Xykon has wish. :smallwink:

R. Malcovitch
2013-07-11, 10:09 PM
:xykon: Really? REALLY?
:redcloak: Maybe Girard had some sort of proximity sensor set up; destroy the gate if an Epic level Evil character came near the pyramid?
:xykon: Or maybe we just missed the party because we showed up half a damn year after we should have!
:mitd: Guys, what "gate"?
:xykon: Will someone shut this idiot up already!?
:roach: That's an Epic level enounter right there. Might even have to break out the Immortal's Handbook for that one.
:redcloak: Look, it's really not important WHY it went up, let's just focus on the fact that it did. We're down to one Gate now; the one near the arctic circle. Let's just head back to the fortress and get ready to-
:xykon: Oh for the love of Evil, no more preparing! I am so effing DONE with this crap! I've got a fever, and the only perscription is world domination. We're headed to Kraggor's Gate RIGHT NOW! Tele-

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-07-11, 10:22 PM
He'll kill him, realize his mistake, and that's how we'll learn Xykon has wish. :smallwink:

Well, to be fair, I think he might just give the cloak to Jirix (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html), then... hehehehe...

Prinygod
2013-07-11, 10:38 PM
It would be interesting if red cloak was able to turn this back against Xykon. IIRC the offical reason red cloak was delaying going after the next gate, was that they had nearly gotten killed at Soon's gate, and he wanted to know more about the next one before they get themselves killed for real. This of course was a lie, he wanted time to build his city. But if they concluded that it was some sort of proximity trigger, Red cloak justification would be sound, and some rubbing is due. Then again he might not want to risk pissing off Xykon more than he is gona be, so he will have to be subtle in his accusation.

Roland Itiative
2013-07-11, 10:49 PM
He'll kill RC, turn him into a lich, then keep the phylactery. How is that for a twist? :smalltongue:

137beth
2013-07-11, 11:13 PM
Hmm, this actually sounds pretty plausible. Especially if Serini's diary said something like "so, Girard told me he was lying to the paladin..."

WindStruck
2013-07-11, 11:38 PM
I like the dialogue. But I do think Tarquin and the rest of the linear guild will be crawling out of the rubble, seeing as they should be at or near the top of the pyramid? Then Xykon will probably blame them and anticlimactically kill Tarquin. :smallbiggrin:

Menas
2013-07-11, 11:49 PM
He'll kill RC, turn him into a lich, then keep the phylactery. How is that for a twist? :smalltongue:

Or Xykon might be destroyed by the blast while RC survives, and RC might decide he's capable of taking the last gate by himself and get rid of the phylactery for good.

Menas
2013-07-11, 11:50 PM
I like the dialogue. But I do think Tarquin and the rest of the linear guild will be crawling out of the rubble, seeing as they should be at or near the top of the pyramid? Then Xykon will probably blame them and anticlimactically kill Tarquin. :smallbiggrin:

That would be cool as well.

Silva Stormrage
2013-07-12, 01:42 AM
Or Xykon might be destroyed by the blast while RC survives, and RC might decide he's capable of taking the last gate by himself and get rid of the phylactery for good.

Yes but Redcloak doesn't have the arcane caster needed for the ritual. Or at least we haven't seen one. He might be able to find one in Gobbotopia to be honest.

erikun
2013-07-12, 02:49 AM
You can't reincarnate someone who wishes to remain dead, as we've already seen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html). If Redcloak dies, the knowledge (and ability) to cast the divine half of the spell is gone. Xykon likely knows this very well, and that Redcloak isn't likely to return to be transformed into some undead creature.

Xykon will be keeping close tabs on Redcloak to make sure he's alive, at least for now.

CRtwenty
2013-07-12, 05:45 AM
You can't reincarnate someone who wishes to remain dead, as we've already seen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0410.html). If Redcloak dies, the knowledge (and ability) to cast the divine half of the spell is gone. Xykon likely knows this very well, and that Redcloak isn't likely to return to be transformed into some undead creature.

Xykon will be keeping close tabs on Redcloak to make sure he's alive, at least for now.

SoD spoilers
the knowledge of how to cast the spell comes directly from the Dark One via the cloak Redcloak wears. If Xykon kills Redcloak and gives the cloak to say, Jirix he would have a new Cleric capable of casting it.

Olinser
2013-07-12, 09:04 AM
SoD spoilers
the knowledge of how to cast the spell comes directly from the Dark One via the cloak Redcloak wears. If Xykon kills Redcloak and gives the cloak to say, Jirix he would have a new Cleric capable of casting it.

Xykon doesn't know that. If he did, he wouldn't have sent Tsukiko looking for the other half of the ritual.

137beth
2013-07-12, 09:14 AM
Xykon doesn't know that. If he did, he wouldn't have sent Tsukiko looking for the other half of the ritual.

You don't know if he sent Tsukiko to look for the other half of the ritual, though.

Belkar<3
2013-07-12, 09:23 AM
I don't think Xykon would be that rational.

Belkar<3
2013-07-12, 09:24 AM
You don't know if he sent Tsukiko to look for the other half of the ritual, though.

Didn't Tsusiko find the divine part in Redcloak's room?

Kish
2013-07-12, 09:25 AM
No. You might want to reread the comics involving Tsukiko's confrontation with Redcloak.

137beth
2013-07-12, 09:32 AM
Didn't Tsusiko find the divine part in Redcloak's room?

No, she found Redcloak telling her that it has never been committed to paper.
But, more to the point, there's no reason to think that Xykon sent her into Redcloak's room, she did that on her own.

Olinser
2013-07-12, 09:38 AM
But, more to the point, there's no reason to think that Xykon sent her into Redcloak's room, she did that on her own.

He gave her his half of the ritual and obviously told her to find the other half.

If he had known that the Cloak was the only thing that gave knowledge of the ritual, he wouldn't have bothered telling her to figure it out.

137beth
2013-07-12, 09:48 AM
He gave her his half of the ritual and obviously told her to find the other half.

If he had known that the Cloak was the only thing that gave knowledge of the ritual, he wouldn't have bothered telling her to figure it out.

He "gave" her his half of the ritual: yes
He told her to find the other half: no. Heck, Xykon pretty clearly knew from the scene after she died that the other half was divine (or rather, Jirix knew and was willing to say it in front of Xykon), and he didn't tell Tsukiko. In fact, Tsukiko didn't even know it was only half of the ritual until the MitD said so, so Xykon definitely didn't tell her:smallsigh:

Roland Itiative
2013-07-12, 10:03 AM
No. You might want to reread the comics involving Tsukiko's confrontation with Redcloak.

She did find the other half of the ritual. And the goblin it's kept on :smalltongue:

King of Nowhere
2013-07-12, 10:45 AM
I think Xykon is genre savy enough to realize that the gate would have exploded as soon as he got there, no matter WHEN he got there. The laws of narrative dictate that the hero and the villain should arrive at the same time, or close enough in time for dramatically appropriate stuff to happen.

137beth
2013-07-12, 10:56 AM
She did find the other half of the ritual. And the goblin it's kept on :smalltongue:

Yep, but not because Xykon told her to find it--she did that on her own:smalltongue:

Rig
2013-07-12, 11:15 AM
Remind me why Redcloak isn't long dead in favor of a more malleable tool, particularly given the recent back and forth? Xykon doesn't need a goblin army last i checked, and i doubt every single hobgoblin is unbreakable. Admittedly, the dark one would throw them in a hell, but a simple dose of madness or a little work to outmatch their promised fate doesn't seem beyond Xykon.

Luna_Mayflower
2013-07-12, 11:26 AM
Xykon thinks that Red is the only one who knows how to preform the ritual.

The Smallest
2013-07-12, 11:35 AM
Maybe Xykon and Redcloak will be knocked off balance by the explosion and fall into the rift.

Kish
2013-07-12, 11:44 AM
Remind me why Redcloak isn't long dead in favor of a more malleable tool, particularly given the recent back and forth?

There is no more malleable tool. Redcloakmurdered his little brother for Xykon. Xykon knows Redcloak hates him; it doesn't matter as long as Redcloak obeys.

Xykon would have to be very lucky to find another goblinoid who would ever be as de facto loyal to him as Redcloak has been.

Klear
2013-07-12, 12:07 PM
I think Xykon is genre savy enough to realize that the gate would have exploded as soon as he got there, no matter WHEN he got there. The laws of narrative dictate that the hero and the villain should arrive at the same time, or close enough in time for dramatically appropriate stuff to happen.

...which wouldn't stop him from punishing Redcloak for it, though.

Lord Torath
2013-07-12, 12:59 PM
Hmm, this actually sounds pretty plausible. Especially if Serini's diary said something like "so, Girard told me he was lying to the paladin..."If this was the case, they would not have spent so much time "interviewing" O'Chul.

I don't think Xykon's really all that genre-savvy. Tarquin, certainly is, but not so much Xykon. I mean, sure, he likes to talk. But I don't think he's ever used his genre-savvyness for anything other than breaking the 4th wall.

Kornaki
2013-07-12, 01:03 PM
If Xykon was really genre savvy he would know his plan is doomed to fail like Tarquin figured out, so we can't give him too much credit

Lesser Naboo
2013-07-12, 01:17 PM
I think Xykon knows that the mantle is what tells the bearer the other half of the ritual. Here, he threatens to kill Redcloak and give his cloak to Jirix. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html)

F.Harr
2013-07-12, 04:51 PM
Entertaining theories, all. I have my own, but I've put it into two seperate threads already and I'm scared I might be spamming.

Kornaki
2013-07-14, 01:14 AM
It just occurred to me that under this theory Xykon is the one in for some yelling.

:redcloak:: I told you we needed to do more research on our next target!

Which would be one way to explain why they don't teleport directly there

rodneyAnonymous
2013-07-14, 01:22 AM
I think Xykon knows that the mantle is what tells the bearer the other half of the ritual. Here, he threatens to kill Redcloak and give his cloak to Jirix. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html)

Tsukiko didn't know that, though; she had the arcane half of the ritual because Xykon wanted her to study it, and she was looking for the divine half of the ritual in Redcloak's study. When Redcloak told her that the mantle imparts the divine half of the Gate ritual to its bearer, it was news to her.

F.Harr
2013-07-14, 02:32 PM
Evil people have such trust issues.

Klear
2013-07-14, 05:21 PM
Well - he didn't luck out. Xykon now knows that it's his fault that the gate got blown up. At least for now he has other problems.

Kornaki
2013-07-14, 05:26 PM
Well Xykon will have no idea who the OOTS is so he might not put it together

Klear
2013-07-14, 06:05 PM
Well Xykon will have no idea who the OOTS is so he might not put it together

He's not that stupid. If nothing less, he'll recognise an adventuring party.