PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild of Evangelion (Spoilers will be probably be discussed with the TV and Movies)

Ramza00
2013-07-11, 10:49 PM
Rebuild of Evangelion (Spoilers will be probably be discussed with the TV and Movies)

So just finished watching the third Rebuild of Evangelion movie (the third out of four, the third one is called You Can Not Redo).

And with this rebuild the movies Evangelion's completely reinvented (not merely altered) its plot from the tv version. The rebuilds went all rip-van winkle and alternate continuity with the main tv series. While the first two rebuilds can be seen as a mere retelling with a couple changes of events and new characters, very little of the plot of the third rebuild is tied with the mainstream continuity.

And in my mind the both series still suck. I was never a fan of the original tv series, it was a show that spend too much energy trying to be grand, and failing during this time to be good. Maybe I just watched the original tv series at the wrong time, I viewed it at the age of 18 instead of the proper age of 13 or 14 (if you watch it this age in my experience you think the show is the best thing since slice bread). Evangelion is a show with some very good moments yet the character are unrelatable, the story is a mess, and the show just feels long. Some people love it for the lore, and you should treasure it for the show did its best to try to be grand. Yet the lore is badly thought out and not shown throughout the series instead you find it in numerous spin off encyclopedias and games while the tv show just mentions a name and does little to tell you why said item is important besides it is a macguffin. I am sorry but I am not impressed that you can name drop some Gnostic/Christian concepts yet those concepts have very little connection to the story. This doesn't make your show edgey just stupid, trying to fit a square in a round hole.

Yet I fervently enjoyed a similar show called Rahxephon (which I viewed after Evangelion), so it isn’t that I can’t appreciate the genre or style, it is merely I think Evangelion should be a rough draft, an alpha product instead of a final form. With a good editor, and enough time and love it could have been so much more.

I went into the Rebuild of Evangelion series with low expectations, but I still watched them for the possibility of Evangelion to reinvent itself. The first movie (You are Not Alone) is a mere retelling of the main series but slightly better. I still have my complaints about the characters being unrelatable but in a movie form it doesn’t hurt to watch like the tv show did.

I thoroughly enjoyed the second movie (You Can Not Advance), enough change to the plot to be a new product, the changes made sense in my mind, and I enjoyed the new character Mari. Mari at times was badass while Asuka is just annoying. It gave me hope for the rebuild series, and an actual liking of it.

I was psyched going into the third rebuild, You Can Not Redo, and in the end I was disappointed. I was disappointed for the story became so long, nothing happens in the first 50 (the first half) minutes that couldn’t have been done in 20 minutes. The last 50 minutes are a rush not because the events are fast paced, no the series starts doing things without explaining what is happening, leaving the viewer watching a discombobulated mess just like the tv show. If the viewer is thinking about the show in a third person kinda way instead of being drawn into your universe you are doing it wrong.

The third rebuild is nothing like the tv show story wise, but it makes all the same mistakes and thus falls flat.

I rate it a 6 out of 10