PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Cleric Help!

Callos_DeTerran
2013-07-12, 12:35 AM
Run into a bit of a problem when I began to work on a 5th level cleric for a game expected to go epic (where we were asked to 'bring our A game' as well)....I've never really played a cleric before, or at least not one that didn't focus on EXTREMEZ BUFFS for self and party!

This time I'm aiming for more of a spell-casting cleric and I know Divine Metamagic is still hella handy, but beyond that...I'm a little bit lost! The concept is a cleric of Apep who plans on going into Walker of the Wastes (To become a dry lich as a way to represent a different kind of mummification). The general feel I'm going for is an entitled Egyptian priest-king/queen who's woken in an age that's not quite right for them, but still has very potent magic at their disposal (NE/LE so far). Going to use corrupt magic from the BoVD and some spells from Sandstorm to get that deserty, black magic feel to the character.

Right now, only one of my feats is spoken for, that being 'Heat Endurance'. I plan on taking Divine Metamgic, but I need to figure out how it works first, because the DM has a different method on how it functions that I'm not sure if it's a misunderstanding or a house-rule. From what I understand, right now, the DM is ruling that Divine Metamagic allows me to replicate the effect of any metamagic spell in return for turning attempts equal to 2+how much the metamagic feat boosts the spell level by (i.e. maximizing a spell would cost me 5 turning attempts)...but doesn't require that I have the metamagic feat in question. Or possibly I can replicate any metamagic feat I possess for that, obviously this is why I need a clarification on it!

Another feat the DM told me about was older (3.0 I think) that I can't for the life of me find to read for myself. Apparently it's a metamagic feat that increases the AoE of a spell to a 1 mile wide diameter called Expand Spell? I'd really like to take that since it makes a few otherwise lack-luster spells (like Black Sand) more viable for the huge AoE it'd give and gives the feel that the character is capable of massive, potent magic capable of affecting entire towns, cities, etc. If anyone can help with finding that feat, that'd be lovely!

Mostly I'm looking for feat advice though...

Deophaun
2013-07-12, 01:07 AM
Another feat the DM told me about was older (3.0 I think) that I can't for the life of me find to read for myself. Apparently it's a metamagic feat that increases the AoE of a spell to a 1 mile wide diameter called Expand Spell?
Technically, I don't think the feat would work, because it would also need to increase the range of the spell to at least 1 mile. Area that falls outside a spell's range is simply not affected.

Now, I'm expecting that your DM would houserule otherwise. But, this little rules snag makes me think the metamagic feat does not exist.