PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Uncarnate and Mind Switch, True

Kogak
2013-07-12, 12:42 AM
So I was flipping through the Expanded Psionics book and read the prestige class Psionic Uncarnate. Interesting premise (though I am not thrilled with the execution). I think to myself "psionic uncarnate thrallherd would be a fun character to play in an epic game, who wouldn't want to be a walking mass-psychosis?". I proceeded to look over the telepath power list and came across the true mind switch. Cue my confusion.

The drawback to a mindswitch is the safety of a body now firmly in another person's control. You have a whole level invested in keeping that meat suit safe. But recall the ability achieved as a level 10 Psionic Uncarnate is:

"Uncarnate (Ex): At 10th level, a psion uncarnate becomes a being of pure psionic consciousness. This ability is similar to shed body, except the character is permanently incorporeal (and gains that subtype). If the character desires, he can become corporeal once per day for up to 1 minute, but he spends the rest of his time as an entity of mind untethered by the physical world. " (Emphasis added)

A character gains the incorporeal subtype. Hm. Well then, a hop over to the monster manual tells me that a being with the incorporeal subtype is a creature that "has no physical body." So I have a power that swaps bodies, but I have no body.

My question then, is this: What happens when a Psionic Uncarnate manifests mind switch (be it True or not) on some poor, corporeal soul? Does it immediately have nowhere to go and pass along like a fart in the wind, or does the uncarnate get stuck with a meat suit? Is the new body immediately made incorporeal while the erstwhile victim is stuck with a corporeal version of the Uncarnate's body? I sense a villain in there somewhere...

Darth Stabber
2013-07-12, 04:10 AM
Unless some else has an official ruling, I can tell you how I would rule:

Fluff friendly:
The victim becomes incorporeal, unteathered consiousness, and the psion becomes corporeal in the the new body (but maintains the ability to become temporarily incorporeal from the earlier levels). To leave he may manifest mindswap with no target, or with the bodies original owner.

Strict adherence
The victim's body becomes incorporeal, while the psion's body becomes corporeal, because the incorporeality is from a class ability, and class abilities follow the mind.

Psyren
2013-07-12, 09:13 AM
"No body" and "no physical body" are two different things. A psion uncarnate still has a body, it just happens to be able to walk through walls and such. So your target gains your body.

Whether they gain your incorporeality as well is where the debate would come in. But even if they do, you do not lose it in the transfer yourself, because you explicitly retain class abilities.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-12, 01:06 PM
"No body" and "no physical body" are two different things. A psion uncarnate still has a body, it just happens to be able to walk through walls and such. So your target gains your body.

Whether they gain your incorporeality as well is where the debate would come in. But even if they do, you do not lose it in the transfer yourself, because you explicitly retain class abilities.

As per the wording in the srd, it seems the victim gets your old corporeal body (as it loses the uncarnate ability).