PDA

View Full Version : A Necromancer that doesn't specialize in Undead [3.PF]

Sheogoroth
2013-07-12, 02:04 AM
My DM is making a campaign in which we play wizards, each of which is restricted to one school of magic.
I chose necromancy, and I've been really interested in a Necromancer that isn't optimized for creating undead, but for energy drain and status effects.

I was wondering how well you all think this would be able to stand up to the rest of my comerades(Abjuration, conjuration etc.) And how I could maximize the DC's for some of these delectably nasty effects.

Flickerdart
2013-07-12, 02:14 AM
DCs are for losers. Pull out some of those sweet Rays of Enfeeblement/Clumsiness, Fell Drain Magic Missiles, and Enervations. Just make sure your Abjurer buddy has a Dispel Magic prepared to strip your enemies of any Death Wards they might have, and have a backup plan in case that doesn't work.

Malroth
2013-07-12, 02:18 AM
If you're using PF version so school restrictions (prohibited schools cost double slots) then its quite possible To be a very nasty debuffer with metamagiced Enervations yet still having the basic protections you'd need to survive to lv 7 like Mage armour, Mirror image. If you are completely restricted to necromancy spells though, take corpse crafter, Fell Drain, Metamagic school focus Necromancy and the substution that gives you a skeleton warrior instead of a familliar and rely on it to get you to lv 3 when you can fell drain a chill touch spell to get wights you can then take over using command undead

Sheogoroth
2013-07-12, 02:50 AM
So is there a prestige class that enhances these sorts of abilities? Everything I've found either optimizes undead spam or gives you 1/day necromancer-like abilities that aren't any better then your spells -sans- metamagic.

Malroth
2013-07-12, 02:52 AM
like all wizards, Incantrix, Dewomerkeeper, and Archmage are your best bets