PDA

View Full Version : What is the Weirdest

DoppelgangerMan
2013-07-12, 03:32 AM
Its just for fun but: What is the weirdest race that a player can use as a character and why? Try to avoid to many insane monster templates but you can use monsters if you have a good one.

What is the craziest class or Prestige class you have seen?

CRtwenty
2013-07-12, 03:44 AM
Thri-Kreen is a pretty weird race honestly. Four armed praying mantis wookies ftw. :smallwink:

As for classes, Risen Martyr is one of my favorites. I mean their capstone permanently kills your character without the ability to be raised. :smallamused:

Jeff the Green
2013-07-12, 04:24 AM
Hairy Spider, a Int –, LA +0 vermin. Technically legal for players.

For class, I think the strangest is probably Blood Mage. The capstone is being able to teleport between bodies using their blood, possibly bursting out of the endpoint.

Vaz
2013-07-12, 04:35 AM
Just because it has a Level adjustment doesn't mean it can bypass the Int -- restriction.

Wierdest? Ethergaunt's. Seriously, when does their LA EVER come into play?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-12, 04:36 AM
Dvati, by virtue of no other race or creature in the game functioning the way they do.

Feytalist
2013-07-12, 04:57 AM
Yeah, Dvati pretty much take the prize.

The immortal Elan race is pretty odd too. Not mechanically, really, but playing someone who could be eons old? Weird.

For prestige classes, Eunuch Warlock is pretty odd. The reason is right there in the name.

CRtwenty
2013-07-12, 05:39 AM
For prestige classes, Eunuch Warlock is pretty odd. The reason is right there in the name.

Well it IS from Rokugan, which is a pretty odd place to begin with. :smalltongue:

nedz
2013-07-12, 05:55 AM
Elf, because

Jeff the Green
2013-07-12, 06:03 AM
Just because it has a Level adjustment doesn't mean it can bypass the Int -- restriction.

Oddly, Intelligence – doesn't prevent a race from being a PC.

creatures with an Intelligence score lower than 3 are not playable characters
– is not lower than 3; it's a nonability and not the same as 0.

SiuiS
2013-07-12, 06:07 AM
Oddly, Intelligence – doesn't prevent a race from being a PC.

– is not lower than 3; it's a nonability and not the same as 0.

That's absurd.

The clear intent is to throw a template on their to brig their intelligence up. How does that whole "intelligence lower than 3 defaults to 3" thing work? Could you like, play an old hairy spider, get the mental bonuses, and start as a high enough level Druid to not suffer physical penalties for it?

Because the spider Druid who can only exist via time travel is the weirdest character I've ever come up with, by far.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-12, 06:18 AM
That's absurd.

Uh-huh.

The clear intent is to throw a template on their to brig their intelligence up. How does that whole "intelligence lower than 3 defaults to 3" thing work? Could you like, play an old hairy spider, get the mental bonuses, and start as a high enough level Druid to not suffer physical penalties for it?

No, because – is not 0. – + 3 is still – (otherwise a zombie wearing a +4 Con item would suddenly become alive), so an ancient hairy spider still has a nonability for Intelligence.

It's clearly not actually meant for PCs to use, and realistically no one will ever actually use it without throwing on fiendish or something, but RAW you don't have to. You can totally play a creature that is incapable of learning, thinking, or remembering.

Vedhin
2013-07-12, 08:16 AM
Dvati, hands down. If templates are fair game, then add either Dustform + Incarnate Construct or Dragonborn. Watch as the rules implode.

Karnith
2013-07-12, 08:40 AM
It's clearly not actually meant for PCs to use, and realistically no one will ever actually use it without throwing on fiendish or something, but RAW you don't have to. You can totally play a creature that is incapable of learning, thinking, or remembering.
The Dungeon Master's Guide does say not to allow Int - creatures as players (because they cannot communicate), to be fair. Per the DMG:
While every monster in the Monster Manual has the statistics that a player would need to play the creature as a character, most monsters are not suitable as PCs. The following table lists monsters that are easy, difficult, and very difficult to incorporate into a campaign as PCs. Use these lists as guidelines, but don't allow players to play creatures who have an Intelligence score of 2 or lower, who have no way to communicate, or who are so different from other PCs that they disrupt the campaign.(Emphasis mine)

Also, I'm putting in another vote for Dvati.

Humble Master
2013-07-12, 09:04 AM
Dvati is pretty weird (and yet cool at the same time)
Synad from Complete Psionic is also kind of weird. You have multiple minds after all.
Keepers from Fiend Folio are pretty bizarre as well.

Weirdest PrC goes to anything from Book of Erotic Fantasy.

SamsDisciple
2013-07-12, 09:14 AM
I wasn't DM for this one but I played in a campaign where someone played a monkey, I dont know what all he worked out with the DM but in the backstory what he explained it being was he was actually a boy from the circus that accidentally got sucked into the body of a monkey by a mad wizards experiment, at the same time transferring the wizards body into the body of a squirrel. The monkey went rogue wizard and one time the squirrel actually raised an army to distract the rest of the party while he went one on one with the monkey. Considering that this campaign was mainly in the underdark fighting drow it was very odd to just pop in a monkey in there

Tokiko Mima
2013-07-12, 09:44 AM
Humans, definately. They're mostly hairless gangly apes that squawk like parrots at the least provocation and insist on covering themselves in the dried dead skin of other creatures. They aren't the strongest, fastest, smartest, wisest, most dexterous or durable creature, but in wierdness they are utterly unsurpassed. One quick trip onto the Internet is all the proof you'd need. :smallamused:

RFLS
2013-07-12, 10:32 AM
Elf, because they never finish their sentences.

Fixed.

That's absurd.

Yes. Yes it is. The good news is that this line of reasoning at least prevents them from being wizards; after all, they don't have an Intelligence score of 10+, so they can't cast. Logically, he's correct, though.

123456789blaaa
2013-07-12, 10:40 AM
Lumi (from the MMIII) are quite strange. They're basically humans (in appearence) whose heads glow and float a few inches above their necks.

BWR
2013-07-12, 10:46 AM
Well it IS from Rokugan, which is a pretty odd place to begin with. :smalltongue:

No it isn't. It, like a few of the other PrCs from Oriental Adventures, was not converted L5R stuff. The eunuch is one of the aspects of the aspects of (certain) Chinese culture(s) that L5R didn't adopt.

The idea of castrating someone would probably be met with horror and revulsion by the Rokugani. Beat or kill a peasant, sure, but castration is just needlessly horrific. There might be individual nasty persons but certainly not as an institutional thing.

The Shadowmind
2013-07-12, 10:53 AM
Sharn

First it was 3 heads.
Then it has 9 claws.
Followed by the its ability to make portals to attack from.
It is also a divine and arcane caster.
Also it can make portals to fire spells/attacks from.
And it has bonus actions to make use of being a mystic theurge in a can.

The Viscount
2013-07-12, 11:07 AM

I want to say I've seen a text saying a race with a nonability is not playable, but I can't seem to find it. It'd be a rather weak argument anyway, since the introduction of undead being playable.

Lumi (from the MMIII) are quite strange. They're basically humans (in appearence) whose heads glow and float a few inches above their necks.

The best part is that their floating heads give them immunity to decapitation and vorpal weapons.

Stegyre
2013-07-12, 11:12 AM
Synad from Complete Psionic is also kind of weird. You have multiple minds after all.
Ooh, there's a thought: anyone ever had three different players combine to play one synad PC?

Psyren
2013-07-12, 12:10 PM
Ooh, there's a thought: anyone ever had three different players combine to play one synad PC?

And then make him a Binder. All kinds of voices yelling in the poor guy's head.

Hell, one of the psionic vestiges is another three people, and another one is a multitude.

Vedhin
2013-07-12, 01:02 PM
And then make him a Binder. All kinds of voices yelling in the poor guy's head.

Hell, one of the psionic vestiges is another three people, and another one is a multitude.

Don't forget the multi-headed template!

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-07-12, 01:14 PM
I know there's stranger stuff out there, but I've always been weirded out by the Green Star Adept in Complete Arcane. What wizard wouldn't want to be addicted to drinking powdered kyrptonite Kool-Aid to level up?

ArqArturo
2013-07-12, 01:16 PM
Warforged, and barbarian. It's weird to play a machine that gets bouts of anger.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-12, 01:30 PM
Warforged Druid/Monk a buddy played this one and his name was a mashup of the Latin words for metal and Ape, and yes Optimus Primal jokes were made.

Also a Warforged Juggernaught Frenzied Berserker/Warhulk/Hulking Hurler. "Oh god its Frenzying!! GET OUT OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!"

Gigas Breaker
2013-07-12, 01:38 PM
Warforged aren't robots.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-12, 01:42 PM
They basically are.

Weirdest PrC: Survivor. It makes Commoners mildly playable. That's black magic right there.

hydraa
2013-07-12, 02:39 PM
Humans, definately. They're mostly hairless gangly apes that squawk like parrots at the least provocation and insist on covering themselves in the dried dead skin of other creatures. They aren't the strongest, fastest, smartest, wisest, most dexterous or durable creature, but in wierdness they are utterly unsurpassed. One quick trip onto the Internet is all the proof you'd need. :smallamused:

I have to second this. In addition, is there any thing a human will not mate with?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-07-12, 02:50 PM

Wierdest? Ethergaunt's. Seriously, when does their LA EVER come into play?Ethergaunts get a nod just for the fact that their spell immunity doesn't work against divine spells because they have "rationalized divinity out of their racial philosophy." K.

Elf, becauseTo be fair, they don't have souls.

Venusaur
2013-07-12, 04:19 PM
Hairy Spider, a Int –, LA +0 vermin. Technically legal for players.

Celestial or Fiendish template gives you 3 Int and removes any ambiguity.

Ninja PieKing
2013-07-12, 07:43 PM
If you go epic I"d say demialhoons. They are undead, floating, brain-eating, head squids.

JBPuffin
2013-07-19, 01:42 AM
Well, from straight-up books, I'd have to go with Dromite (the ANTS!!) and any racial class. Honestly, I'd almost overrule the rule that you have to be of the class's required race and make it so the capstone turns you into the creature in question, and proceed to have all humans become things from other dimensions (also, Dromites becoming sentient bees. Just saying).

If you were you include homebrew stuff, you would have about Infinity +1 answers.

Edit: Actually, Awakened Bee + levels in druid. People talked about this on RPG.net, and technically a bee could awaken other bees...see where this is going?

THE BEES COME AT MIDNI-BZZZZZ!!!!!!

Lateral
2013-07-19, 01:47 AM
The best prat is that their floating heads give them immunity to decapitation and vorpal weapons.

No, the best part is that for +4 LA you can make yourself a two-headed lumi completely immune to attacks.

Fates
2013-07-19, 01:52 AM
Oozemaster's a pretty weird class, to say nothing of how terrible it is.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-19, 01:53 AM
Hadozee! Flying Monkey-Squirrel people who apparently work on ships! Why would a body evolve for the forest be completely associated with ships? Because the creators wanted a pet monkey for their ship, and why not have someone play it?

Crasical
2013-07-19, 03:53 AM
They basically are.

Weirdest PrC: Survivor. It makes Commoners mildly playable. That's black magic right there.

Explain yourself.

Feytalist
2013-07-19, 04:22 AM
Weirdest PrC goes to anything from Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Well I'm glad someone said it, cause I certainly wasn't going to go there :smallbiggrin:

The Sharn, like the Phaerimm and the Sarrukh, I'm pretty sure were originally not meant to be statted. They were just these ancient godlike beings in Faerun's history. But of course, in D&D everything gets statted, and so we end up with creatures with seriously weird abilities. I mean, Manipulate Form? Seriously.

Also, I'm pretty sure Survivor isn't actually meant to be a PC PrC.

STRANGE
2013-07-19, 06:49 AM
I've ran a Gibbering Mouther character before. Formatted the race so that you speak all languages and have some natural attacks, but of course can't hold things or use weapons. Give them a CHA and DEX penalty and its all good.

Tanuki Tales
2013-07-19, 06:58 AM
Hadozee! Flying Monkey-Squirrel people who apparently work on ships! Why would a body evolve for the forest be completely associated with ships? Because the creators wanted a pet monkey for their ship, and why not have someone play it?

Aren't they originally from Spelljammer?

Tvtyrant
2013-07-19, 10:35 AM
Aren't they originally from Spelljammer?

Are they? So they are space monkey-sugar glider sailors? Monkeys in space!!!!!