PDA

View Full Version : Improved weapon familiarity question

ZethVorador
2013-07-12, 04:10 AM
For this feat are drow still considered elves? So if I took the feat could I gain proficiency with say Elven Thin, court and Light Blade weapons? Also why are Drow considered Elves?

KillianHawkeye
2013-07-12, 07:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that should work. Drow are an elven subtype. They are Humanoids with the (elf) subtype, so by the rules they are elves.

SethoMarkus
2013-07-12, 08:54 AM
Also why are Drow considered Elves?

Because they are Elves. As to why the developers chose to make Drow an Elf sub-type, I would say it was a combination of tradition, lore, and continuity.

And yes, as KillianHawkeye stated, Improved Weapon Familiarity should work as per my understanding of the RAW, but always check with your DM first. Drow and (surface) Elf culture is different enough that I can see a ruling either way.

Diarmuid
2013-07-12, 08:55 AM
Seconding that this will work.

Even though the Drow subtype of Elf replaces the normal Elven Weapon proficiencies, the wording on the feat specifies that any weapon with "Elf" in the name would be granted as proficiency.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-12, 09:07 AM
While the Drow weapon proficiencies (hand crossbow, rapier, short sword) do indeed replace the High Elf weapon proficiencies (longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow), you will note that not one of these weapons meets the IWF standard of a weapon "being associated with a race if the race's name appears as part of the weapon's name". So the automatic proficiencies of a drow are irrelevant as far as IWF is concerned.

Darrin
2013-07-12, 10:16 AM
What about an elf (non-drow) who takes Improved Weapon Familiarity... do they get proficiency with Drow long knives and Drow scorpion chains (from Secrets of Xen'drik)?

Diarmuid
2013-07-12, 10:20 AM
Not per the RAW wording of the feat.