PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions

NevinPL
2013-07-12, 05:59 AM
So, something that grants Expanded Ki Pool (Complete Scoundrel, one prerequisite) would cost how much ? 15000 - 20000 ?
How about Bonus Essentia (Magic of Incarnum, two prerequisite) ?

I know that there's a table in Arms and Equipment Guide, but if you look at "Nightstick" (7.5k), which is essentially just a Extra Turning in a rod form, that table becomes useless.

To make matters worse, there are other feat granting items, that cost even less (all from MIC):
Gloves of the Balaced Hand - 8k, gives TWF\ITWF
Mask of the Tiger - 4k, gives Track, and.
Panther Mask - 2700, gives Run.

And if it's a weapon, armor enchantment, it can cost "even even" less than that - around +1.

It doesn't have to be official DnD, it could be PF, "forest colored" Ronin publication, or your houserule.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-12, 08:28 AM
First you need to keep in mind that lots of official magic items in 3.5 are price-adjusted for balance. In other words, if an item came out so expensive that no one would buy it at that price, the design team would lower the price. If the price came out too cheap for something of that power level, they might also raise the price. So if you find something with a similar power level compared with what you are trying to make, you can use it as a guideline - the DM has final say.

That having been said, the Arms & Equipment Guide on page 128 does list a 10,000 gp price for a feat with no prerequisites, plus an extra 5000-10000 gp for each prerequisite the feat has. However, it also states that if the feat granted gives an effect that can be priced out using the DMG guidelines, then price it out based on the overall effect and don't use the price of a feat. So this could also explain some of the pricing discrepancies you are seeing. (An item that grants a feat that grants a +2 save bonus would just be priced as an item that grants a +2 save bonus.)

Eldan
2013-07-12, 09:13 AM
One problem with feats: they are all over the place in terms of power. Weapon focus is a +1 to hit. That's less than a +1 weapon enchantment in terms of usefulness (not magic, so can't hit incorporeal, no damage bonus, no stacking other enchantments later) so it's worth maybe a bit more than 1000 gold only because it stacks with other things. Skill Focus: appraise? Haha. Then, on the other hand, you have feats which give entirely new ability.

So, I'd say: depends from feat to feat. Try pricing the effect of the feat, then add a bit more because having something as the feat has a few advantages.

NevinPL
2013-07-13, 03:49 AM
First you need to keep in mind that lots of official magic items in 3.5 are price-adjusted for balance.
I know that WotC uses "Mysterious Modifiers (R) (TM)", but I didn't think they were this arbitrary.
It explains. A lot.

So lets "bounce ideas".
Expanded Ki Pool - 4k ?
Bonus Essentia - 8k ?
Yes ? No ?

marcielle
2013-07-13, 05:36 AM
There's a system called feat points. Use the homebrew one, NOT the one the developer created. After that, it's just a matter of finding appropriate price modifers(eg. 1k X (Feat Point Value)squared or something like that)
For reference I'd say Weapon Focus would be worth just slightly more than double Masterworking cost (cos it can stack with near everything)

Glimbur
2013-07-13, 09:40 AM
I
Expanded Ki Pool - 4k ?
Bonus Essentia - 8k ?
Yes ? No ?

An Essentia Jewel is 400 gold, and is +1 essentia for one round. Takes a swift to use.

A Ring of Essentia lets you borrow one essentia from someone else for a day. Costs 16,000 (and it feels incredibly overpriced at that).

Gloves of Incarnum Theft let you steal 1 essentia for a minute with a touch, DC 15 will negates. 8,000 cost, and again not worth using.

If you believed that WotC priced the +essentia items well, then an item of +2 essentia all day long should be, maybe, 40k because it's twice the ring but without needing a donor. That's pretty stupid expensive though. I would put it at about 12k if it takes a slot, and 24k if it doesn't. Essentia is kind of a big deal.

Expanded Ki Pool, on the other hand, whatever. That resource shouldn't be per-day anyway, so 4k is fine.

NevinPL
2013-07-15, 06:00 AM
Thank you all for your answers, ideas.

If you believed that WotC priced...
No I don't, quite the opposite - IMO many items are overpriced because of the "balance everything", "let's nerf the hell out of it", approach.

Essentia is kind of a big deal.
Only if you can do something with it ;) But yeah, it's more "powerful" than power points.

New question:
Is there a way to give non-spellcaster class, ability to cast some spells of my choosing (no, no Factotum, I need to buff my Ninja's), preferably as a feat granting spell-like ability ? I think I saw something like that somewhere, but now can't remember where.

TuggyNE
2013-07-15, 07:24 AM
There's a system called feat points. Use the homebrew one, NOT the one the developer created.

Yeah, Zeal's is pretty good. The only significant criticism I'm aware of is that it assumes a balance point for feats that is, in effect, below the standard (and that therefore creates power creep): more than half the feats are rated as below average. Of course, most of them arguably are! So there's that.

nedz
2013-07-15, 01:11 PM
Is there a way to give non-spellcaster class, ability to cast some spells of my choosing (no, no Factotum, I need to buff my Ninja's), preferably as a feat granting spell-like ability ? I think I saw something like that somewhere, but now can't remember where.

There's a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm), so an item should be straightforward, assuming that spell is on your list.

NevinPL
2013-07-16, 03:42 AM
There's a spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm), so an item should be straightforward, assuming that spell is on your list.
Yes but:
- I need it to be "independent" from spellcasters,
- it needs to be a lot higher, that spell level 2,
- like I said - preferably as a feat granting spell-like ability, not item.

marcielle
2013-07-16, 06:35 AM
Yeah, Zeal's is pretty good. The only significant criticism I'm aware of is that it assumes a balance point for feats that is, in effect, below the standard (and that therefore creates power creep): more than half the feats are rated as below average. Of course, most of them arguably are! So there's that.

Well, if they are mostly all underrated equally, then a simple increase in the price multiplier ought to work a treat.

NevinPL
2013-07-29, 11:31 AM
How much one Fire Shuriken (SpC) would cost ?
2 (spell level) x 3 (CL) x 50 = 300 gp ?
How to accommodate the higher level, multiple production bit (1 additional shuriken, for 3 caster levels) ?

NevinPL
2013-08-02, 03:13 AM
Any idea how much a Poké Ball for undead would cost ?
Any other ideas how to do it, beside Bag of Holding\Portable Hole\Rope Trick\Secret Chest ?

nedz
2013-08-02, 04:28 AM
Any idea how much a Poké Ball for undead would cost ?
Any other ideas how to do it, beside Bag of Holding\Portable Hole\Rope Trick\Secret Chest ?

There are a number of Summon Undead spells in the SpC — so standard item cost for a spell trigger item. This depends upon the level of the spell used (there are 5 options here) as well as the trigger method and frequency. A Wand of Summon Undead I would be quite cheap, 450 gp IIRC. You could even shape it into a ball.

NevinPL
2013-08-02, 06:50 AM
I don't need summon, I need transportation\storage for my Corpsecrafted, pimped out skeletons, and stuff. Hence the "Poké Ball" reference, and listing of "storage" items\spells.

NevinPL
2013-08-08, 05:13 AM
Does anyone remember an item (probably some holy symbol, or other necklace-ish thing), that lets you touch a dead body, and store it within it ?

Is there a spell, item, whatever (but not being an undead, etc.), that lets you permanently transfer vitality (CON points, HP, etc.) from one person to another ?

NevinPL
2013-10-11, 06:08 AM
I don't want to start another topic, so I'll ask here (but move this post to Board/Site Issues, if you need):
- can I post link(s) to stuff on my blog ?
- if yes, is there a limit, per day, week, month ?
- do I need to post stuff here, and the link, or can I just post some "intro", and link ?

TuggyNE
2013-10-11, 06:24 AM
I don't want to start another topic, so I'll ask here (but move this post to Board/Site Issues, if you need):
- can I post link(s) to stuff on my blog ?
- if yes, is there a limit, per day, week, month ?
- do I need to post stuff here, and the link, or can I just post some "intro", and link ?

Best to start another topic instead of necroing this one.

But links should be fine unless they're advertising or something.

NevinPL
2013-10-14, 12:40 PM
Best to start another topic instead of necroing this one.
Why for ?

But links should be fine unless they're advertising or something.
Well, I'll be "advertising" my blog, homebrews, etc.
Can I get a "second opinion" ?

Because thread necro is against the forum rules.
Heh, it looks you're right. The rules even defined a number of days, after which something is considered Thread Necromancy.

TuggyNE
2013-10-14, 05:50 PM
Why for ?

Because thread necro is against the forum rules.

Well, I'll be "advertising" my blog, homebrews, etc.
Can I get a "second opinion" ?

Try asking in Board/Site Issues.