PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing... Strength checks?

SiuiS
2013-07-12, 09:33 AM
Hi there!

Long and short of it; I want to get as good at breaking objects (via strength checks, not damage) as I can. I thought that it would be a good idea because these checks are usually easier than sundering and the like. Well, I was wrong; a thick stone wall is DC 50 and masonry is DC 35.

But I'm stuck on the idea now, so what easy/cheap methods are there to increase one's ability to break objects? I honestly can't find anything, not even looking around here – all the "X stat to Y ability" stuff is too specific, so I can't like, combine all my attributes into one super strength check or something.

Maybe Strength domain? That's only +10 at max level...

Any ideas?

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-12, 09:42 AM
Wellll, lets see what we can shake out of the tree.

Marshal adds cha to strength checks with a 1 level dip.

Fighter 3 and 5 add +1 to strength checks each, per the dead level web article.

Dungeon crasher adds some if I am not mistaken.

Warhulk increases your strength by 20

Half minotaur adds +8

Fighter 9 / marshal 1 / warhulk 10 with LA buyoff

Starting with an 18 in str and cha, after modifiers we have 46 (+18) strength and a positive cha modifier.

Fighter dead levels add +2, so 20+cha mod+dungeon crasher bonuses.

Oh, and planer touchstone the strength domain for +10 to that, so 30+cha mod + Dungeoncrasher bonuses.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-07-12, 10:00 AM
The destructive rage feat gives you a +8 bonus on STR checks for smashing and breaking object, that's always a good one

A Warforged juggernaut can add its class level (up to +5) on STR checks to break down doors.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-12, 10:04 AM
Cool, lets fold barbarian into the above for 38+cha+dungeon crasher, and I forgot to account for a +5 tome and a +6 item, so that is another +5 mod.

We are at 43+cha + dungeon crasher mod.

Diovid
2013-07-12, 10:11 AM
In addition to the things Fouredged Sword mentioned (1 level of Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) and Fighter with the Dead Levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a) update and the Dungeon Crasher alternative class feature from Dungeonscape) 3 levels of Factotum gives you int to strength checks.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-12, 10:28 AM
Also, looking up the template for half-minotaur, we are looking at +4 str, not +8, and no cha penalty, so 18 cha becomes 29 with +5 tome and +6 item (+9 mod).

We make up the lost +4 with level stat increases, because I forgot those.

The crasher mod is +5

This brings us to +57 to strength checks to break a wall.

If we can shoehorn 3 levels of factotum, we can get another +8 or so, for 65. I would look at soulmelds to see if there is one that can help, and maybe a martial stance we can feat our way into.

SiuiS
2013-07-12, 10:30 AM
Neat, I forgot about the dead levels bit! I don't know if I can squeeze in dungeon crasher (though goodness I really should). Factotum... Hm.

At low levels when we start that'll be only a few, so I can snag +5 or so if I convince the DM to let me use a masterwork item (since battering rams and crowbars set precedent) with an additional +4 from size. the build wants some monk training for feat swapping. What does the article say about monks?

MONK

The monk is the only other core class, aside from the barbarian, that has no dead levels. Players always have something to look forward to with the monk, which boasts the most colorful and unique special abilities of all the character classes.

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Big Fau
2013-07-12, 10:41 AM
The Mauling Gauntlets soulmeld in Magic of Incarnum provides a bonus on Strength checks (+2, +2/Essentia invested). Two feats can get you that soulmeld and 2 essentia to boost it with.

TuggyNE
2013-07-12, 05:51 PM
What does the article say about monks?

Hahahahahahahahaha!

I know, right? Nothing like WotC for some good old fashioned risibility.

ranagrande
2013-07-12, 07:42 PM
Let's see...

Feral Half-Dragon Half-Minotaur Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale Monstrous Humanoid 3/Fighter 6/Barbarian 1/Druidic Avenger 1/Bear Warrior 1/Berserk 1/Frenzied Berserker 1/Primeval 1

With the race and templates, you start out at +24 strength.

Then go nova. Rage, Frenzy, Whirling Frenzy, Battle Fury, Primeval Form into a Dire Boar and Bear Form into a Brown Bear to get another +44 strength.

Destructive Rage (one of the requirements for Frenzied Berserker) adds +8 to your strength check to break items, and Dungeon Crasher add +10.

This gives a grand total of +86 to your strength check.

Waker
2013-07-12, 10:25 PM
I'm away from book right now, but I think the Aesh sigil for an Illumian adds +2 to Strength checks/skills at level 2.

Eslin
2013-07-12, 11:14 PM
Sphinx claws will get you +1 to strength checks plus another one for every point of essentia invested, perhaps add that in?

georgie_leech
2013-07-12, 11:52 PM
I know, right? Nothing like WotC for some good old fashioned risibility.

Be fair, the Monk does have plenty of abilities. They're awful and don't synergise well, but they do suck in new and exciting ways each level

Jett Midknight
2013-07-13, 12:12 AM
You could also use spells like Giants Form and Enlarge Person to gain an additional +10 size bonus.

Drelua
2013-07-13, 01:04 AM
I was thinking about doing exactly this a couple weeks back with a Dungeoncrasher 6/Barbarian X, but I'm pretty sure just about everything I thought of has been mentioned already, except for one thing. There's a necklace in the Magic Item Compendium that gives a +5 bonus to strength checks limited times per day. I can't remember what it's called and it is way too late for me to check, but I think it's something to do with birds.

Metahuman1
2013-07-13, 01:18 AM
Would it be in poor form to just say boost str normally, pick up power attack, and get mountain hammer as a maneuver known and readied and fluff it as doing what ever it is you'd do for a strength check?

Slipperychicken
2013-07-13, 01:34 AM
Also, looking up the template for half-minotaur, we are looking at +4 str, not +8

The template in dragon magazine says to reference a monster size advancement table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for the size increase (normally the table is used only for when a monster's Hit Dice advancement changes its size category, but the Dragon Magazine writers were morons and referenced the table without first reading what it's supposed to be used for). That table increases Strength when increasing size, in addition to the racial bonus (+4).

It gives +4 Str for Small->Medium, and a +8 for a Medium-> Large adjustment. Remember, this is in addition to the racial +4.

So Half-Minotaur gives +8 Str when applied to a Small base creature (4 from racial, 4 from the size), and +12 when applied to a Medium one (4 from racial, 8 from size).

Lateral
2013-07-13, 02:05 AM
Cancer Mage.

I do not actually recommend using Cancer Mage to get limitless strength.

BWR
2013-07-13, 04:12 AM
3rd party and feat intensive, but there are a series of three feats from DragonStar's "Galactic Races", specific to the oruk race (ogre-orc hybrid) that grant you a a 4/8/12 bonus to all Strength based rolls except attack and damage.

TheFallenOne
2013-07-13, 05:16 AM
Armbands of Might. +2, 4500 GP
Belt of the Champion. +5 with the relic power, 4500 GP. Also +2 strength

That and Awesome Smite is how I play a tripper paladin without having Improved Trip.

gorfnab
2013-07-13, 01:16 PM
Factotum 3 adds Int mod to Str checks.

SiuiS
2013-07-24, 05:52 AM
Hmm. Interesting stuffs. May be able to throw in the soul melds actually, the kinda fit. I might even be able to... Oh no, nevermind.

The character is a early turn of the century pugilist – in midieaval D&D. So he's going to get into punch ups and shout bully and jolly-good, wear a breastplate, wield shield and hammer, and be ready to throw those down when anyone accepts his challenge. Planned fighter/monk/reaping mauler because it hits just the right balance of "riding a dragon to ground while carrying a keg of whiskey" and "not overshadowing anyone else, ever, even if I'm really good". Was going for a dwarf with Jotunbrud, but... That Minotaur template...

Would it be in poor form to just say boost str normally, pick up power attack, and get mountain hammer as a maneuver known and readied and fluff it as doing what ever it is you'd do for a strength check?

Yeah. I was asking because at early levels, I would want to be that guy who cracks the ground, picks up a huge boulder and launches it when an enemy thinks I can't reach them because flight.

It seems like by the time this is viable though, I could instead just fly. So meh.

The template in dragon magazine says to reference a monster size advancement table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for the size increase (normally the table is used only for when a monster's Hit Dice advancement changes its size category, but the Dragon Magazine writers were morons and referenced the table without first reading what it's supposed to be used for). That table increases Strength when increasing size, in addition to the racial bonus (+4).

It gives +4 Str for Small->Medium, and a +8 for a Medium-> Large adjustment. Remember, this is in addition to the racial +4.

So Half-Minotaur gives +8 Str when applied to a Small base creature (4 from racial, 4 from the size), and +12 when applied to a Medium one (4 from racial, 8 from size).

Neat. Might be worth considering instead of shoehorning Jotunbrud in. Thanks all!

Slipperychicken
2013-07-24, 11:14 AM
Neat. Might be worth considering instead of shoehorning Jotunbrud in. Thanks all!

It's one of the few times I feel like level adjustment is actually worth what you get (something like +12 str, +4 Con, -2 to Int/Cha, size boost, gore attack, +2 NA, +10 speed). They did the same thing with Dragon Magazine Half Ogre (they're right next to each other on the page), but IIRC that was superseded by a Savage Species Half Ogre template.

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-24, 01:00 PM
Do not, under any circumstances, be a Reaping Mauler! It is a buggy class that has a huge amount of issues, and it turns itself off if you ever get bigger than medium!. It also doesn't make you any better at grappling!

I would suggest that you use unarmed barbarian!

Take:
Whirling Frenzy [System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana]
or
Ferocity [Cityscape Web Enhancement])

Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion)
Wolf Totem (System Resource Document or Unearthed Arcana)
Skilled City Dweller-ride for tumble (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
City Brawler (Dragon Magazine #349)
Streetfighter (Cityscape Web Enhancement)
Superior Unarmed Strike (Tome of Battle)
some light armor
Necklace of Natural Weaponry (Savage Species)
or a Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic)

Person_Man
2013-07-24, 01:27 PM
Most shapechaning magic, Wildshape/Alter Shape/Polymorph/etc, will increase your size, and in general, most things that increase your size (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777) also increase your Strength.

In particular, you might want to look at the Landforged Walker PrC: 5 levels of this PrC gives you the Plant Shape ability, which allows you to Wildshape into plants, sizes Small to Huge. It's notable in that your effective Wildshape level is based on your character level, and that you can turn into a Huge size as early as ECL 10, with your other 15 levels free to do whatever you want with them.