PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 The Gatekeeper. Character idea in need of advice

Swaoeaeieu
2013-07-12, 10:31 AM
So there is this door, only one person is guarding it. He slowly walks up to you and tells you 'you can't go in here.' when you stubbornly try to walk around him he is still in front of you. Whatever you do, he is in the way.

So how do i make this gatekeeper a playable character? A tireless guard should be a warforged or something like that. And how do i give him the ability to always stay in front of you? short range teleports? anklets of translocation? or are there feats or classes that give you the ability?

tips? tricks? other cool ideas? let me know

Norin
2013-07-12, 10:36 AM
First thoughts i had was warlock using at will dimension door, or swordsage with shadow jaunt to pop around.

You could be too slow as far as actoion economy goes though.

Maybe illusionist would be better? Have an illusion pop around and be annoying like that?

Diarmuid
2013-07-12, 10:37 AM
There are some things that could fill in for the "always in front of you", but nothing mechanically that will do exactly that all the time.

How would the gatekeeper be "in front of you" if you were to teleport to the 5' square directly in front of the door?

There's a feat that lets you 5' step to follow someone else's 5' step, but byeond that eventually you're going to run out of Immediate actions to keep moving yourself in front of the person who wants to get to the door while they use their Move action, Standard action, and possible their Swift action to move themself.

Swaoeaeieu
2013-07-12, 03:42 PM
First thoughts i had was warlock using at will dimension door, or swordsage with shadow jaunt to pop around.

You could be too slow as far as actoion economy goes though.

I think, as a guard he need to be a melee type. so swordsage could work. as for actions running out. i want to try to maximise the number of times he can do his trick, but a few can be enough.

How would the gatekeeper be "in front of you" if you were to teleport to the 5' square directly in front of the door?

well the text was just for flavour. he would just 'move' next to the intruder and start melee.

i also found the blade of Orien. who can dimension leap quite a lot and also has full BAB. Any way to give a Warforged dragonmarks?

pwykersotz
2013-07-12, 08:07 PM
Anticipate Teleport might give him an edge and allow him to move to the spot you're going to teleport to, forcing you off by a 5' square.