PDA

View Full Version : Cleric spontaneous casting wording: please tell me I'm wrong

qwertyu63
2013-07-12, 11:24 AM
For those who don't what to look it up:

A good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) can channel stored spell energy into healing spells that the cleric did not prepare ahead of time. The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name).

OK, here is what my brain coughed out. This doesn't say the slot you convert has to come from the cleric class, or even needs to come from a divine class. Is there anywhere that rules on this either way?

Blackhawk748
2013-07-12, 11:36 AM
it just needs to be of the level given up and have Cure in the name, thats RaW. RaI however your probably just supposed to turn them into a cure spell of the appropriate level

Immabozo
2013-07-12, 11:37 AM
OK, here is what my brain coughed out. This doesn't say the slot you convert has to come from the cleric class, or even needs to come from a divine class. Is there anywhere that rules on this either way?

Wow, interesting. It looks to me like you are right. As long as the spells is a prepared spell and not from a spontaneous caster

PaucaTerrorem
2013-07-12, 11:39 AM
Just as you can't use sorcerer slots to cast wizards spells, you MUST use cleric slots to spontaneously heal.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-12, 11:46 AM
The 3.5 FAQ states the following, for what it's worth:

Can a cleric/wizard lose a prepared wizard spell to spontaneously cast a cure spell?
No. The cleric or druid’s spontaneous casting option applies only to spells from the same class.

Perseus
2013-07-12, 03:34 PM
The 3.5 FAQ states the following, for what it's worth:

Can a cleric/wizard lose a prepared wizard spell to spontaneously cast a cure spell?
No. The cleric or druid’s spontaneous casting option applies only to spells from the same class.

I thought the FAQ was questionable at best?

Though I agree with it on this case.

Of course would it be that terrible broken to let any prepared spell be converted? Nope.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-12, 03:38 PM
I thought the FAQ was questionable at best?
Yeah, that's kind of why I added that 'for what it's worth' part. I know the playground isn't too fond of the FAQ.

Of course would it be that terrible broken to let any prepared spell be converted? Nope.
I'm pretty sure magical healing in general is OP, since it is completely reactive and can rarely keep up with offensive damage-dealing anyway.

Gwendol
2013-07-12, 03:42 PM
Converting prepared spells to cure spells is a losing proposition anyway, so really, who cares? As a DM I might let it pass.

Perseus
2013-07-12, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that's kind of why I added that 'for what it's worth' part. I know the playground isn't too fond of the FAQ.

I'm pretty sure magical healing in general is OP, since it is completely reactive and can rarely keep up with offensive damage-dealing anyway.

My DM thought magic healing was OP so he gave me the crusader to be a heal bot... :smalltongue:

Chronos
2013-07-12, 07:37 PM
RAW, it looks like it works, though it almost certainly wasn't intended. I can't see that it makes much difference, though, since theurges tend to be underpowered anyway, and the other prepared class you're using is presumably wizard, who has a better spell list than the cleric, so using a wizard slot for a spontaneous cure would usually be worse than using a cleric slot for it.

olentu
2013-07-12, 11:05 PM
As of the rules compendium a multiclass spellcaster can’t cast a spontaneous spell from one class in place of one from another class.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-13, 09:00 AM
As of the rules compendium a multiclass spellcaster can’t cast a spontaneous spell from one class in place of one from another class.

Well there you go - SC 139. "A multiclass spellcaster can’t cast a spontaneous spell from one class in place of one from another class." That's a bit more official than the FAQ.