View Full Version : Cheaper Shadesteel Golems?

Lanson
2013-07-12, 11:29 AM
Hullo Playground! In an upcoming campaign (4th one i'm involved in :smalltongue: ) I've been given the Okay to play a Cleric dedicated to the research of Negative Energy, and the nature of Undeath. Fluffwise allowing me to choose the Deathbound Domain (Not sure what I should pick for other, I'll figure that out on my own).

Anwyays, I wanted to be able to make Shadesteel Golems ASAP and as cheaply as I can, I've read the cost reduction handbook, but I'm not entirely sure how the reducers work in actual play. Any help with making the most cost-effective Shadesteel golem would be greatly appreicated.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-12, 11:40 AM
In before Tippy!

Gavinfoxx
2013-07-12, 12:11 PM
never mind.

Perseus
2013-07-12, 03:31 PM
In before Tippy!

never mind.

Longtime lurker here.

Lol

Can I give both of you +1?

Darrin
2013-07-12, 04:10 PM
Cast polymorph any object on a pebble twice? 8th level scroll costs 3000 GP... wait, casting it twice won't work once it's a golem.

400 GP for a 4000 lbs of iron
1125 GP for a fabricate scroll
3000 GP for a polymorph any object scroll
--------
4525 GP

It's cheaper if you just pay the spellcaster directly.

250 GP for a fabricate spell
640 GP for a polymorph any object spell
--------
1290 GP

I'm not sure if dispel magic will turn it back into a lump of iron.

Lanson
2013-07-12, 05:21 PM
Cast polymorph any object on a pebble twice? 8th level scroll costs 3000 GP... wait, casting it twice won't work once it's a golem.

1125 GP for a fabricate scroll
3000 GP for a polymorph any object scroll
--------
4525 GP

It's cheaper if you just pay the spellcaster directly.

250 GP for a fabricate spell
640 GP for a polymorph any object spell
--------
1290 GP

Yep, and this is why I asked :smallbiggrin:, I totally forgot the wording of PAO, that's hands down the cheapest way to do it. But PAO states that a nonmagical item cannot be made into a magic item, isn't a construct considered a magic item as well as a creature?

Perseus
2013-07-12, 05:35 PM
Yep, and this is why I asked :smallbiggrin:, I totally forgot the wording of PAO, that's hands down the cheapest way to do it. But PAO states that a nonmagical item cannot be made into a magic item, isn't a construct considered a magic item as well as a creature?

Get a +1 Returning Block of Iron?

Returning because you may want to fire your golem from a catapult.

TuggyNE
2013-07-12, 05:39 PM

Yes, it would; dispel magic is SR:No.

Perseus
2013-07-12, 05:45 PM
Yes, it would; dispel magic is SR:No.

Have them all take a few levels in Incarnate and grab the vest that allows you to ignore specific spells? Spell Ward Shirt? Or perhaps an item of this soulmeld? Feat shape soulmeld and the binding soulmeld feat? *shrug*

There may be a way to get immunity to that spell.

Darrin
2013-07-12, 07:43 PM
There may be a way to get immunity to that spell.

There are several. Spellward Shirt, as you mention, but I forget which chakra you need to bind... If it's heart or soul, you're out of luck.

Spellblade (6000 GP, PGtF) is probably the simplest method, but it only works on targeted dispels. The main concern with dispel magic is there are so many different variations with different spell names that you'd have to carry a dozen Spellblades to cover them all. It also doesn't work against disjunction, but if you're getting hit with that, then that's probably more of a "the gloves are off" situation.

To get around dispel magic, ice assassin should work. But the XP component will drive up the price at least 25K (unless you can pull off some SLA shenanigans).

unseenmage
2013-07-12, 07:54 PM
To get around dispel magic, ice assassin should work. But the XP component will drive up the price at least 25K (unless you can pull off some SLA shenanigans).

Seconding the Spellblade.

And yeah, if Ice Assassin works on Animated Objects in Tippy's shenanigans then there's little reason it wouldn't work on Golems.

Yep, and this is why I asked , I totally forgot the wording of PAO, that's hands down the cheapest way to do it. But PAO states that a nonmagical item cannot be made into a magic item, isn't a construct considered a magic item as well as a creature?

Constructs being Magic Items is a rules interpretation more than a rule. And a shaky one at best. To my knowledge per RAW Constructs (including Golems) are not magic items. Though with DM permission they could be modified as though they were. :smallwink:

Lanson
2013-07-13, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone, you guys might have saved me 70000ish gold as long as I can fly this all past my DM, this one is a little new, but says they'd like me to do my best, as I'm the only player involved. I'm gonna have to get creative to keep from getting ganked early on till I can pull these shenanigans off