PDA

View Full Version : Can you craft an item of guidance?

Barstro
2013-07-12, 12:55 PM
Guidance, Spell Level 0
This spell imbues the subject with a touch of divine guidance. The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. It must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.

Could one craft a ring of continual Guidance?
1/2 * 1 * 2,000 * 4,000 = 4,000 for a +1 to all attacks, checks, and throws?

Lord Haart
2013-07-12, 01:33 PM
It has a duration "until discharged", so no more than you can craft a permanent item of True Strike. That said, i recall that the later is doable, if despisable.

Urpriest
2013-07-12, 01:37 PM
Nope. Item guidelines default to existing items with those benefits if their cost is greater than what the formulas would indicate.

Barstro
2013-07-12, 01:39 PM
EDIT; @Lord Hart
Thanks. Could you give me a link or two of why that cannot work?

The duration is actually One Minute or until discharged. Sort of how Invisibility is (something/lvl) or until you attack, etc. I'm having troubling seeing the difference.

Barstro
2013-07-12, 01:40 PM
Nope. Item guidelines default to existing items with those benefits if their cost is greater than what the formulas would indicate.

Ok. So because a somewhat similar item exists, does that mean;
1) I cannot make it
2) I can make it, but it would have to cost at least the same as the similar item?

Urpriest
2013-07-12, 01:45 PM
1) I cannot make it
2) I can make it, but it would have to cost at least the same as the similar item?

The latter. So an item that gives +1 to all attacks would cost at least 2,000gp, while the existing example for a +1 to all checks and saves is the Stone of Good Luck for 20,000gp. Including the penalty for combining magic items into one slot and you're looking at around 24,000gp at minimum.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-12, 01:52 PM
1) I cannot make it

at one and two: it is up to the dm.

the guidelines (and logic) prohibit a continual item of an expended spell. It would be like having a continual item of fireball. however, your dm might let you get a magical trap that casts guidance on the user 1/round or something. (for that matter, a dm can over ride anything)

as a side note: it is typically considered rude to post multiple post on the same thread back to back (especially within minutes of each other). If you need help learning how to do anything, there is no shame in asking.

Edit:

The latter. So an item that gives +1 to all attacks would cost at least 2,000gp, while the existing example for a +1 to all checks and saves is the Stone of Good Luck for 20,000gp. Including the penalty for combining magic items into one slot and you're looking at around 24,000gp at minimum.
that depends on factors (like if they count as similar or not). not to forget the fact the stone of good luck is a luck bonus (more expensive then something like a competence bonus [for skills] or resistance bonus [for saves])

Edit 2: almost forgot to mention the luck stone is slotless

Jack_Simth
2013-07-12, 01:52 PM
1) I cannot make it
Well, OK. Lots of stuff here.

First off:
When making new magic items, note that The Table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues) where you get the formulas, such as they are, is called "estimating" right in the title. The section says (among other things)
Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.

So just because the formulas, theoretically, say you can make use-activated widgets of at-will True Strike for 2,000 (4,000, unslotted) doesn't mean that it makes sense to give a 3rd level character +20 Insight to attack rolls with all weapons (which, in the hands of a 7th+ level Greatsword fighter with Power Attack, is in some ways stronger than a +13 Greatsword) for the price listed by the formulas.

The prices also say:
Many factors must be considered when determining the price of new magic items. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item that is already priced that price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Price Values.

Thing is, these things? They were in the DMG, originally. Yes, they're part of the core rules... but like PrC's, they seem (to me) primarily intended for use by the DM in world building, and for coming up with a reasonable price for that custom item (s)he dropped in a loot pile so (s)he has a rough idea what it's worth. As nearly as I can tell, they're very much not intended for direct player use.

The closest existing item to what I'd expect your widget of Guidance to do in practice would be The Stone of Good Luck (Luckstone) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#stoneofGoodLuckLuckstone), which costs 20,000 gp. Your custom item should likely be in that ballpark (probably more costly, as it stacks) - if the DM permits it at all, which is up to the DM.