PDA

View Full Version : Non-Caster Dream PrC Advice

DragonSinged
2013-07-12, 04:49 PM
Hello Playgrounders!
Some time ago a friend of mine ran a 1-shot game which ended with my character, a Drow rogue, getting stuck in some kind of Dream plane, a strange place where reality seemed to be mostly shaped by your thoughts.

Now he will be running a new mini-campaign, where many of the player characters will have been summoned up by a demon, and he's given me the go-ahead to revive that character with some kind of fancy prestige class earned by his undetermined time stuck in that plane. The new campaign is going to be starting somewhere between level 6-9, and I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with a prestige class that is either dream-themed, or that I could re-flavor in that direction. The problem I'm running into is that any PrC's I can think of generally belong to casters, not rogues. Now him staying as a rogue specifically isn't vital, but some kind of non-caster base is necessary (also, non-swordsage - I'm already playing one of those).
It's possible the game might also be run using Pathfinder instead of 3.5, that hasn't been settled on, so Pathfinder classes might be alright as well.

tl;dr: Looking for a non-caster dream-themed PrC.

Does anyone have any good classes or PrC ideas I could work with?

Thank you very much for the help!

Psyren
2013-07-12, 06:08 PM
Sounds like refluffing is in order - anything that lets you form something tangible out of something insubstantial could fit a character who gained dream-related powers. This widens the playing field to include things like shadows, mist, ectoplasm or incarnum.

limejuicepowder
2013-07-12, 06:15 PM
First thing I thought of was binder - strange powers that come and go each day, granted by beings that barely exist. You could even do a cool refluff where he meets vestiges in his dreams, and awakens each day wielding some of their power.

Binder has something to combine with virtually any class or role, which is nice.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-12, 06:58 PM
First thing I would do is make Lucid Dreaming a class skill (Manual of the Planes page 203). Then maybe retool the Shadowsmith (Tome of Magic page 132) into a Dreamsmith, where you draw your power from the dreamscape instead of the plane of shadow.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-12, 07:03 PM
Astral Dancer (from Planar Handbook)?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-12, 07:06 PM
If you're up for homebrew, there was a contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13322556) last year centered on dreams. My entry (a wu-jen/spirit shaman theurge) isn't applicable, but there are some interesting non-casting classes in there.